Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: joshs' Journal

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Do you plan to shoot that in ppc? Always looked like it would be a blast.
    That's the plan. I didn't have much of an interest in a PCC until USPSA and IDPA started new divisions.

Site Supporter

5-April-2017

Practice: 125 rounds of CCI Blazer w/ CX4 @ NRA Range
    Zeroed MRO @ 50 yards. The MRO in the factory low mount is the perfect height on the CX4.
    Worked on UP Drills with the CX4 to get more used to the cross bolt safety.
    Ran the VTAC 1/2 and 1/2, which was very easy with the CX4. I only dropped a single round into the eight ring on a B8 target, everything else was in the black.

Site Supporter

6-April-2017

30 minutes dryfire.

Worked on reloads and short movement with the CX4 to get used to setups with a PCC.
    The 20 round factory mag is by far the easiest to reload with. The CX4 reloads like a big pistol, so I'm reloading bullets forward rather than bullets rear like a "real" carbine.

Site Supporter

7-April-2017

Practice with CX4 (50 rounds) and PX4 (100 rounds) @ NRA Range

Worked on 1R2 with the CX4. So far, the easiest way to reload is with the butt stock still in the shoulder and canting the pistol grip toward the mag pouch. The magwell on the CX4 is kind of goofy. The initially opening is huge, but there is no funnel and there are square edges inside the magwell that make it very easy for the mag to hang up. I'm going to try to slightly bevel the mag insert.

With the PX4, I worked on getting used to the DA presentation after shooting a Glock for the last several years.

Site Supporter

8-April-2017

30 minutes dryfire w/ PX4

Worked on slide lock reloads and visual patience for IDPA classifier on Tuesday. With the new one second per point down scoring, I'm really trying to work on driving the front sight to the exact center of the -0 and having the patience to not break shots until the sights are well centered in the -0. The stock sights on the PX4 aren't terrible and are improved by blacking out the rear and painting the front dot orange, but the front sight is still wider than I prefer and, even blacked out, the rear dots sometimes draw my eye depending on how light is hitting the rear sight.

I dropped in the Wilson 12# CS spring and the difference in DA was very substantial. I'm interested to see how much difference the competition trigger pack makes because the trigger is already very good.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    30 minutes dryfire w/ PX4

Worked on slide lock reloads and visual patience for IDPA classifier on Tuesday. With the new one second per point down scoring, I'm really trying to work on driving the front sight to the exact center of the -0 and having the patience to not break shots until the sights are well centered in the -0. The stock sights on the PX4 aren't terrible and are improved by blacking out the rear and painting the front dot orange, but the front sight is still wider than I prefer and, even blacked out, the rear dots sometimes draw my eye depending on how light is hitting the rear sight.

I dropped in the Wilson 12# CS spring and the difference in DA was very substantial. I'm interested to see how much difference the competition trigger pack makes because the trigger is already very good.
    I found the SA was improved with the Comp Trigger Pack. DA wasn't affected very much, if at all.
    Shoot more, post less...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I found the SA was improved with the Comp Trigger Pack. DA wasn't affected very much, if at all.
    That's my understanding of what the trigger pack does. The SA is already very good, so I'm interested to see (feel?) the difference.

If you want to try one before you purchase, I have a PX4 compact with the comp trigger pack installed.

Site Supporter

9-April-2017

60 minutes dryfire

Split between two 30 minute sessions with IDPA legal gear and my "new" AIWB holster.

With IDPA gear, I continued to work on skills for the IDPA classifier. The magwell is a little frustrating, but I'm resisting the temptation to attempt Ernest's magwell work to keep the gun SSP legal. I'll probably end up taking a file to it eventually and just shoot ESP when shooting IDPA.

With my carry gear, I worked exclusively on draws with my newly modified holster. It's a Don Hume H715 that I modified by creating a belt wedge with two plastic spacers and added velcro to the back to attach a muzzle wedge.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    If you want to try one before you purchase, I have a PX4 compact with the comp trigger pack installed.
    Thanks for the offer, but I should have a Compact Carry by the end of the week.

User Tag List