Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Service Pistol Selection - (Help Me)-

I just saw an M&P full size 9mm at an LGS with a silver slide......I'm sure S&W would produce them for any agency.

Dude, I'm really sorry you have to deal with this. It sounds like a nightmare. For what it's worth, you seem to be handling it better than I would be. At least you have some quality options still on the table.

The whole situation reminds me a lot of this fiasco that happened here in NC last year. The short version is that the head of the NC state alcoholic beverage control agency ordered new side arms for the agency every couple of years, apparently just so he and other agents could buy the old ones at a discounted price. And then right before he retired, he ordered expensive new Kimbers and took advantage of a rule that said you could get your last side arm at retirement for $1. And then the department had to ditch the Kimbers just months later because they didn't work properly (<---this is my surprised face).

This is my favorite line: "The Kimbers replaced Sig Sauer handguns bought in 2003 and 2005 for about $685 each. The Sig pistols, which Chandler said were worn out, were declared "surplus" and sold to agents for $326."

Chris
    The guy from Lucky Gunner

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Yup. That's what they called 'em. I remember that from the AJC articles and columns.

Cobb County PD. You could tell the guys that carried them at a glance because they had speedloader holders the size of wastepaper baskets. (They kept those as late as... maybe... '87? '88? If I remember the story, they were copycatting the GSP?)
    As I recall the GSP, back in the early 80's, had private purchase Colt Trooper MKIII's and mostly Blue S&W Model 19's. Then GSP went to a State issued Revolver, the Smith & Wesson Model 66 with GSP badge roll marked on the side plate. Then I saw the transition to a Model 5906 type 9mm stainless semi-auto and then later heard they went to the Glock 22/27 dual gun issue. During all my days in GA back then working the road with GSP often being my only backup I never saw or heard about a GSP transition to the .45 revolver of any sort. Then again my experience was limited to middle GA and Southwest GA and I left the state in 89. When I went back for a couple of years in 95/96 I was out of LE full time and had little contact with the GSP.

Of course myself and several other small-town GA cops back then just HAD to have the 4" Model 29 as our belt gun. Mine lasted a week before I tried to qualify with it. It got parked real quick.

The idea of a two tone requirement to me is absurd if only for cosmetic purposes. As a side note one agency I train with here in FL is the Volusia County Sheriff's Office. They issue the Glock 35 as the duty pistol. Plain dark tennifer is the color BUT the option of a silver finish two tone look is available if the individual deputy wants to pay for the coating/plating. I will have to ask their range master for the particulars as to where they are sent but many deputies pay the difference. The most common reason...It looks more intimidating when drawn.

Me...I prefer the darker versions as opposed to the pimp two tone style!

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by FotoTomas View Post
    The most common reason...It looks more intimidating when drawn.
    Do they also carry Israeli style? I understand the sound of the slide racking and a round chambering is super-intimidating!

In all seriousness, except for the concern about bad finishes/plating affecting reliability and safety, I'm all for officers getting to select weapons they like. I had a roadside interaction with a deputy in Texas last year and he whipped out his Glock 21 to show me the awesome stippling job on it. If the combination of the stippling and the pride of ownership leads him to practice a little bit more and thus be a little better a shooter, I say go forth and conquer.

The idea of uniformity for all officers should have gone out the window when they started hiring women and realized they'd need different underoos.

(I am aware of the counter arguments, namely with regard to limiting the available options to reasonable guns and the costs involved with teaching, servicing, and maintaining a wide variety of brands and models)

It truly scares me the level of ignorance that is displayed by those I teach or interact with. We try to train to a standard above the minimums but I still get the amazing comments from the rank and file that makes me wonder how they were hired in the first place.

I'd just like to put in a plug for Sig here. (glock is a better practical choice by far, but everybody already knows that...) I shoot a P226 .40 cal in USPSA, and when I need to, I carry a P226. It is comfortable to use, I personally have 100% confidence that it will fire every time I pull the trigger, and it's very accurate. BUT: the slide occasionally fails to lock back, the mags that came with it (from some american mec-gar knockoff) failed to feed after a slide lock with alarming regularity, and the price tag is high compared to a glock that would equal or exceed the P226's utility.

I am of the opinion that there needs to be a certain set of rules pertaining to an officer's choice of weapon. Were I (as a non leo with no experience armoring for a police department =) in your shoes, I would make a list of acceptable guns and a list of acceptable modifications and just let officers pick what they know (my list would be: Sig P226, P229, CZ 75 SP-01, Glock 22, and S&W M&P. they are all well supported and with the exception of the CZ, have many choices of holster available). At the same time, while I like the idea of raising the bar of officer familiarity and involvement with their weapon, the realist in me does not see officers actually taking the time necessary to get any major benefit over a department full of cheaper more reliable Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    A silver slide was clarified...you know its totally embarrassing. I've put a lot of effort into this and used much of the info I've learned here but I'm getting no where. I'm "tunnel-visioned" on the Glock. I shoot, train, and study this stuff more than anyone at my dept. but at the end of the day my suggestion means nothing because it's not silver. It's frustrating. I don't know what to really do about it other than to continue with my evaluation and pick the best canidate pistol, turn in my report and let the powers that be make the choice.

To all the M&P suggestions, I contacted their rep in December and he emailed me some info and communication ceased. Ive sent several emails without answer and finally approached a distributor for a T&E gun. That was almost 5 months ago with no contact from S&W. They have been the worst company I've dealt with. Sig and Glock get a tie for best with FN close behind. Those companies have super helpful reps. Springfield Armory LE divison hasnt answered their phone for apparently 7 months, thankfully.

I've learned a lot so far, good and bad,
    Not sure if there are any left, but those TALO edition Glocks had the Fail Zero slides. I own a G19 version (not because I particularly enjoy the color, just got it at a good price) and it runs fine. Not sure if it was a limited run though.

UPDATE:
    I went to the range with several officers, admins, etc. and everyone was afforded the opportunity to shoot the FNS-40, 226R, and G22. As a department that currently issues DA/SA Sigs the striker-fired FN and Glock were a big hit, especially with the weaker shooters. It was decided by command after shooting the striker guns and seeing how well folks were accepting and shooting with them that striker-fired guns would be focused on. The boss actually shot the Glock AND liked it. Amazing, just goes to show that trying something new sometimes opens new doors. Thankfully some requirements have been altered and now the Glock and FN are up for final consideration. All guns shot great and none experienced any issues. I'll try to keep the updates coming as the process continues.

We are diminished
    Awesome news and good job on opening some eyes. What kind of reliability/endurance testing are you intending to run the guns through? There are mountains of information about Glocks but I'm not aware of a major, serious LE or mil test on the FNS yet.

User Tag List