Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR 9mm Review

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 15.27.56.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  39.0 KBRe: Post#9, thanks for the reference. That ref. has better info. I'll post a screen shot comparing a .38Special and 9mm load.

For velocity numbers, here is a review with chrono data for the 9mm LCR: http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...t-9mm-for.html
    Takeaways:
    -9mm+P in the LCR is about equal to a 3" auto barrel
    -using the Lucky Gunner data, 9mm+P is about equal to a mid-range .357 load such as Rem Golden Sabers
    -9mm+P only loses 100-150fps compared to full house .357 loads

It seems to me 9mm is the ideal cartridge for a 2" revolver. Compared to a .357 load, It should have about the same performance, yet 35% less recoil and a fraction of the muzzle blast. Unlike a .38 there is no shortage of loads which penetrate deep and expand reliably

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    I particularly like the photos, good work.
    Thanks, I really appreciate it! I've been focused on taking better pictures lately.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I've thought that one of the advantages of a revolver is that all you need is the gun and cartridges, with no fiddly other bits. Seems to me that using autoloading cartridges in a revolver means that there is another essential item and, for a lot of the more casual users, something to misplace.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

How much faster are the moonclips to reload vs using a speedloader? I only ask because you brought it up several times in your review.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    How much faster are the moonclips to reload vs using a speedloader? I only ask because you brought it up several times in your review.
    Not the OP, but measuring my reload speeds, on a timer, with a Smith 638 and a Smith 940, there was a small, but noticeable difference. I don't recall the exact number, but it was less than a second.

I was debating picking up a moonclip revolver at the time, and my bud was kind enough to let me work with the 940 until I was equally facile using the moon clips as I was a speed loader, so I could do a fair comparison.

I stuck with the 638.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Not the OP, but measuring my reload speeds, on a timer, with a Smith 638 and a Smith 940, there was a small, but noticeable difference. I don't recall the exact number, but it was less than a second.

I was debating picking up a moonclip revolver at the time, and my bud was kind enough to let me work with the 940 until I was equally facile using the moon clips as I was a speed loader, so I could do a fair comparison.

I stuck with the 638.
    Interestingly enough, it was the opposite for me. I'm interested in the methodology you used and that of the OP as well. I'd like to see if I can improve my testing.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Interestingly enough, it was the opposite for me. I'm interested in the methodology you used and that of the OP as well. I'd like to see if I can improve my testing.
    Fire two rounds, reload, fire a round, all using my PACT timer. I think I did ten runs each?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I just realized my original post about this could be read two ways.

I was faster with the moonclips than the SL2 speedloader. It wasn't enough of a difference for me to make the switch though.

I was referring to speed strips I typically see carried with snub nose.

I don't have a specific beef with speedloaders, aside from their increased size over moon clips.
    Last edited by Sterling Archer; 04-15-2017 at 10:59 PM.

User Tag List