Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR 9mm Review

Ruger LCR 9mm Review

Some forums I can post my write-up to with minor modifications, but due to this forum's format to post an article here requires I redo everything except the words. So instead of all that mess, here's a link to the original: https://gunpowdermeditation.com/2017...cr-9mm-review/

Did you experience any crimp jump issues? What ammo were you using?

JR1572

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    Did you experience any crimp jump issues? What ammo were you using?

JR1572
    I've got 720 rounds through it with no problems. I've shot mainly Fiocchi 115 grain and Blazer Brass, Speer Lawman and American Eagle in 124 grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
    I've got 720 rounds through it with no problems. I've shot mainly Fiocchi 115 grain and Blazer Brass, Speer Lawman and American Eagle in 124 grain.
    Awesome. Thanks.

JR1572

Is "9mm a much better performer than .38spl?" I haven't read up on this topic in a while but the conclusion I've been working off of is that they are more or less interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Is "9mm a much better performer than .38spl?" I haven't read up on this topic in a while but the conclusion I've been working off of is that they are more or less interchangeable.
    Here is the data using Gold Dots in 9mm 124 grain +P and .38 Special 125 grain +P.

Velocity in Feet Per Second
    Muzzle 25 50 75 100

1220 1146 1085 1036 996
    945 917 892 868 846

Energy in Foot Pounds
    Muzzle 25 50 75 100

410 362 324 296 273
    248 233 221 209 199

Edit: whoops
    Last edited by Luke; 04-14-2017 at 03:51 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Post#6's .38 Special figures appear to be too low from my brief research.
    Note, I don't have a chronograph and haven't chronographed my ammo.
    I've only done a bit of internet research on a few .38 Special +P ammo data which indicate higher muzzle velocities from a 2" barrel.

Example for reference, http://www.luckygunner.com/38-specia...rounds#geltest
    which has a muzzle velocity for Speer 135gr .38Sp+P round at 797 fps (edit: the data on the website doesn't clearly distinguish barrel length for the muzzle velocity on closer examination.)
    Last edited by L-2; 04-14-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    Post#6's .38 Special figures appear to be too low from my brief research.
    Note, I don't have a chronograph and haven't chronographed my ammo.
    I've only done a bit of internet research on a few .38 Special +P ammo data which indicate higher muzzle velocities from a 2" barrel.

Example for reference, http://www.luckygunner.com/38-specia...rounds#geltest
    which has a muzzle velocity for Speer 135gr .38Sp+P round at 797 fps (edit: the data on the website doesn't clearly distinguish barrel length for the muzzle velocity on closer examination.)
    I went off Speer's info here, they used a 4" barrel: http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammun...n/default.aspx

Underwood sells .38 Special and .380 that they say does 1,200 FPS. I don't like using them as a reference though, they're more of a boutique ammo store and I try to base my data on widely available/commonly used ammo.

Interesting, thanks for the follow-up. There are probably some words to be said about suitable penetration and expansion being present in both, and therefore there is minimal effective difference, like in 9mm vs. 40 vs. 45 debates across all of the Internet, but we don't need to hijack your review further.

I have been interested in the 9mm LCR since it was announced, as it simplifies my ammo logistics and increases the chance I'll practice with my rarely-carried pocket gun. However, having already acquired a no-lock 642 and lasergrips for it, it's always been a tough sell to change now. Plus the LCR is 2oz heavier, which I'm sure only matters on the Internet, but I could see going a bit lighter if I had the option..

Nice review. I particularly like the photos, good work.
    Join FPC

User Tag List