Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW while injured - definitely a can of worms

Wow! I went away for Easter (not actually away, but offline) and there's all kinds of great stuff here now! Thank you!
    I always meant to kind of post this in two parts - my first post really tells how I coped with the issue during week one. I felt very compromised physically plus some mental effects that I won't delve into in public. Luckily, I have an outstanding chiropractor who saw fit to start treating my shoulder 3X a week with a cold laser right after the accident. I wasn't really a believer when we started, but I'm seriously sold on its ability to reduce inflammation now! As I stated before, I've suffered three previous separations & know how this rodeo has gone previously, but 2 weeks into my laser treatment, I can reach behind my back and hold the center belt loop with very little discomfort! Range of motion horizontally to the side sucks, but I can reach forward well enough for a 2 handed stance (support only, no recoil control - kinda like shooting from the Harries position in terms of control). I can't hold more than 3-4 lbs comfortably, but I can now rack a slide without crying & can reach & feed a spare mag from my normal position (8-9 o'clock). So, starting on the second week, I returned to my usual G19 open carried at work, and a G43 or LCR in the pocket or fanny pack when out & about. I've made it a point of carrying an SnG Auto for my pocket blade but really haven't been carrying my fixed blade as I normally position for my left hand - maybe I'll rethink that.
    Last Friday, a couple of IWBs that were ordered before the wreck arrived from JM Custom. I found that I can now pack the G43 IWB at 3-4 o'clock & its flat enough to conceal well under the chest strap of the sling. Made me feel much better to put a pistol on at the life-long acclimated postion, even if its a cricket!
    I have a G19 with a TBRCi comp on it that I was getting ready to experiment with (no RDS - I call it a "Half-Roland") that would likely be an outstanding ONE hand gun, but I hadn't shot it nearly enough to trust it yet. I think I'll head to the range this week & put in a good session with the stuff I'm actually using right now. I see the surgeon again next week to decide on surgery. Its likely to happen, I think - with the inflammation gone now that clavicle looks very prominent & vulnerable!
    Hey Zant, if you're reading this, you got time to work me on one handed manipulations for a few minutes?
    Lastly, as a spiritual man, I'm very humbled & grateful for all the prayers offered for my wife & I. God bless you all.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 04-17-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    Couple of years ago I shattered my right collarbone and broke a couple fingers on my left hand in a mountain bike accident.

It sucked.

Carried a G42 tucked in my right arm sling and just sucked it up on a weak grip with my "other strong hand".
    Yeah, it sucked 10X when it was my right shoulder! Its amazing the things I didn't know that I couldn't do with my left hand, like dress myself, wipe my own butt, etc,,,

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    First, I am glad to hear that you and your spouse are still with us. I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

When I was injured in a similar fashion, I had a tailor stitch some loop Velcro inside the arm sling. I was able to hide a 642 inside the sling, using a Kydex holster with some hook Velcro glued to the outside of it.

It also made removing the pistol much safer and easier when entering a prohibited place. Pop the Kydex holster with gun inside out of the hidden cranny of the arm sling, and you are good.

Also, not a lot of people think twice about someone "adjusting" or scratching a injured arm inside a sling.

Let me know if you want to borrow a weapon fanny pack, I have a couple of the Eagle Industries and a Camelbak Goblin one as well. All look suitably "grey".

I'll try and find my Million Mom March fanny pack as well.
    Gracias amigo - I have a couple Tommy's packs that are serving well. I don't disarm myself too much these days. With our penalty changes here in Texas, I frankly don't pay NEARLY as much attention to 30-06 signs anymore, especially as a one-armed man. I don't drink, so its rare for me to deal with a 51% sign. Courthouses & Federal bldgs are about my only concern, & I work hard to stay away from those!

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    BTDT. Broke right ulnar, radius 2 hours into a 3 day Dennis Martin 2012 class. Got splinted, ate lunch, got casted. I was 3/4 through chemo at the time.

Shot the class next few days with GL 17 in CCC left hand AIWB ( actually spleen side ). 2 -3 mag pouches 8:00- 9:00. 342 in left front pocket. Clinch pic set up for left hand front waist.

Orthopod at home put in and later removed a T plate + 11 screws. 4 months and 4,000 rounds I was a left hand shooter.

During this period I carried daily 2 GL17s, 2 spare mags, S&W 342, fixed blade knives.

Thoughts:

High capacity is your friend, a 2nd high capacity pistol is faster than a 1 hand reload.

You are diminished, you may need to go to gun and knife sooner.
    OMG! You're a monster!
    I used to play electric guitar for a living & I still play in church to keep my hand in, so to speak. I was missing it too much after being sidelined for a month, so I took off the sling & played 5 Easter services over the weekend. I let my head swell up yesterday when one of our Pastors (who played guard for the Houston Oilers) praised me for "toughing it out". YOU SIR toughed that one out!
    I've DEFINITELY thought through the diminished issue & came to that conclusion. I also need to keed my awareness notched WAY up (not easy when in pain) & start walking in the other direction sooner if the "Scooby-sense" is tripped.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    It's funny I thought you were joking the first time I heard you say this but having met you in person and seen what you carry I know you aren't kidding. Gabe is THE Lord of the Food Court but you give him a serious run for his money on the King of All Junk Carry title.

On a serious note Buckshot, sorry you got hurt. I'm happy to hear you are on the road to recovering, may it be expedient. IMHO I absolutely agree with others' here that capacity is your friend when one handed and a bug or second gun is even better than just one hicap. Personally I would opt for AIWB weak side with a weak side pocket carry. If you are concerned about the speed and coordination of your draw the pocket carry gives you an opportunity that the AIWB or OWB doesn't. A hand in the pocket is a pretty normal thing. Pocket carry would allow you to get your hand on the gun before shit gets sideways. If handicapped I'd rather start a confrontation with my hand on the gun. Your revolver is perfect for this.

A hicap semi-auto AIWB gives you some options and complements the pocket carry. AIWB allows ease of access in a variety of positions and is much faster than a fanny pack. Whether seated, or standing AIWB doesn't require much torquing or your body during presentation. If you wear it outboard more in the 2 o'clock, or 10 o'clock position you might be able to clear the sling. Depends a lot on body type though. If AIWB doesn't work then fanny pack would be a third choice but with the caveat of a pocket bug, same goes for OWB weak side, add bug. Look at your draw and what can be the most efficient without injuring yourself further. I would opt for something I could practice with every day just for a little bit without discomfort or further injury. I would seriously look at the complement of whatever you decide to carry with a bug that covers the weakness in access of the other gun. Dugga Boy is also The Kind of Fanny Pack Carry. You can hit him up for ideas if you decide to go that route. He seriously knows his stuff and would be a great resource.

Last note. 1slow also hit it on the head that you are diminished now and can articulate that. Your awareness needs to be up a little more since you will probably thought of as easy pickins. Reactionary gap is your friend more so now than ever. Verbalization and spacial awareness are more important than ever. Bell Nesbit is also spot on that you need to make sure your weapons will function with diminished grip. I would add to that in making sure you work some one handed manipulations, clearing a malf. loading, unloading etc. Use some snap caps and get to work since you are behind the power curve. Good luck and I hope you are well soon.
    Unfortunately, I'm "AIWB challenged", not quite obese, but it ain't gonna happen until I finish losing another 20#. If I could, I think I would be rolling one AIWB & one OWB on the same side right now, rather than OWB & pocket. Fanny Pack is the king for all of the Dr's appointments, though.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 04-17-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    If you choose an autoloader, make sure it functions well with your perhaps weaked one hand.
    Very good point. Being a gunsmith, I tend to do some very intentional limp wrist testing with stuff. I've seen some nice autos of respected lineage that work perfectly with a reasonable grip & choke on their own vomit when limp wristed.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    Glad your wife is okay and you are mending. Yikes...

I've never been in this situation. I would think that once you figure out your set up it can be a long block of instruction on one handed shooting. As far as shooting ability that will be a good thing.

I hated fanny pack carry as it took my off hand to keep it from spinning around my waist. If your pistol is visible under your shirt does it look like a pistol? All trussed up in a sling can make everything look wrong. As long as it doesn't look like a gun. A normal sized gun under the shirt with a one handed draw can be pretty quick.
    Luckily, my packs (Tommy's) stick in position very well. Will do so on the one-handed work. As far as visibility under the shirt, the tight chest strap running just above the gun made a Glock 19 in a Raven OWB look like a damn Desert Eagle!
    Last edited by Buckshot; 04-17-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Dad (72yo) fell shoveling snow a few weeks ago. Jacked up his right shoulder and broke his right wrist. He's carrying a 2" .38 in his left front pocket - I think he's got a stainless Taurus 85. He doesn't dare try to shoot anything right handed till cleared by his surgeon. But he can run the .38 left handed, unlike his 1911.

My brother, a lefty who usually pocket carries chamber empty, broke both bones in his dominant forearm just above his wrist a few years ago. He was skiing. He switched to right pocket and loaded chamber till his arm was well. And went back to chamber empty, in spite of me talking till blue in the face. He's a big boy, he makes his own decisions every day.

Ever since my brothers accident, I've practiced one handed manipulations, with either hand. I put a sock over the hand I'm not using.
    Yeah, I had a shop assistant that I was very fond of who inisisted on Israeli carry, but would on other days carry a loaded DA revolver. After talking to him about loading the chamber till my hair turned gray, When I realized that reason with ineffective, I begged him to just stick with his revolver! Very interesting idea about the sock! Thanks!
    Last edited by Buckshot; 04-17-2017 at 06:33 PM.

I had split my humerus into my shoulder from a fall on ice at work. I carried a SW 642 and a Bianchi strip loader in a pocket I had a friend "sew" into the back side of the sling. Yes, it would be slow as hell to reload but I was carrying a reload. I also kept OC spray in my sling. I decided that the skunk tactic would probably be best and then go honey badger if need be with the wheel gun. I had another pocket sewn for an angled vertical carry of a magazine but it was a pain in the ass to carry and handle putting on pants with a broken arm/shoulder so I stayed with the wheel gun. I was not beyond a mouse gun in the sling, either.

Somedays, when you're broken, can be bad.

I sprained my right wrist at a match several years ago.
    Got through the rest of it shooting right handed but using my left
    hand to cycle the slide to load up between stages.

At home, switched to a revolver for a house gun.
    I found I could shoot a variety of S&W and Ruger revolvers
    DA or SA with no real issues.
    Took about 10 days till racking a slide with my right hand was
    comfortable. Not as big an injury as those mentioned above, but a real inconvenience while it
    lasted.

I shoot left-handed with a pistol for a while each range trip. Also shoot my scoped
    AR clone with the .22 upper on it lefty now and then. I have to shorten the
    stock as much as possible and use the left eye to sight.

User Tag List