Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW while injured - definitely a can of worms

CCW while injured - definitely a can of worms

I know we've had a few similar posts here over the years about dealing with injuries, but I wanted to start another conversation about dealing with injuries that will come along and make your carefully developed EDC package becomes totally irrelevant & offer myself up as a training dummy for being prepared to adapt and overcome best as we can.
    2 weeks ago I was involved in a fairly major auto accident that left me about the length of my peak reaction time from leaving this mortal coil. I was T boned in the front wheel by a car moving about 65mph. Along with totalling my beloved mint Hemi Magnum, my head & shoulder were driven into the door post, leaving with the usual familypack of bruises, owies, whiplash and a separated left shoulder. Having been thru this particular rodeo before (2ea previously on the left side, once on the right), I knew I was screwed as soon as I took the hit. For you medical types, its a pretty profound type 3 with 10mm of separation. I have an outstanding surgeon picked out and a great chiropractor who's been treating the hell out of me with a cold laser in the mean time.
    I didn't have to ride in the ambulance with a gun due to extenuating circumstances - my wife was riding in the car with me at the time and was only one week out of serious intestinal surgery. THANK GOD she wasn't hurt in the accident beyond a few bruises, but I refused to go anywhere before I knew she was home safe & was certain she wasn't injured. I also learned it doesn't hurt when the friend who comes to pick you up from the accident scene is the ex Chief of Police . Got the wife to the house and off to the ER we went, passing off my holstered guns to his care enroute (not a confortable accomplishment).
    So after all that background poop, now how do I go about protecting myself in this one-armed condition? I'm slung up with a padded sling with a chest strap to immobilize my left arm pretty much around the clock. Even with loose fitting button shirts (my usual fashion code) this chest strap makes anything strapped to my waist or appendix look like I'm trying to conceal a Claymore mine under a wife beater! Working inside my shop, I open carry, but I really think that would be a double stupid idea for a one-armed man to do in public. After experiment & cogitation, I realize my concealment options are limited to right front pocket, ankle or fanny pack. None of these are great, but they all beat the heck out of one-armed & un-armed!
    Next decision to make was what gun? Given my level of disability, with which weapons could I safely handle the manual of arms? And which one could I shoot the best one-handed? I'm blessed to own more than a couple guns & holsters, so at least I had choices to work with.
    I believe I could likely shoot my Browning HP the best one handed, due to trigger & recoil control issues, and normally I could stick it in one of Steve Camp's old holsters for good luck! Great idea, but I found that for at least the 1st week, I can't even chamber check an auto with my left hand, plus I'd be stuck with trying carry a condition 1 BHP in a fanny pack - no ankle or pocket carry for that one!
    So I knew in the short run, I was limited to a wheelgun, as the manual of arms was much more friendly to my handicap. Of the useable carry options, front pocket seemed most effective & discrete under the greatest number of circumstances, so a 5 shooter it is. My usual, well proven bug, a 38 LCR became my primary. Kept it loaded with the usual wadcutters & added a set of bigger grips to maintain the best possible recoil control in a 1 handed situation. I struggled with the thought of bothering to carry a reload, because I knew the chance of effectively manipulating a slow strip in my condition was damn iffy. I went ahead & found somehere to hide a 5Star loader, figuring that my left hand could handle hanging onto the gun while the right hand loaded it.
    I'll leave it there for now to see if there's any interest/experiences in the topic of how to effectively arm & defend oneself with only one usable arm.

Buckshot

Sorry to hear about the crash and your injuries--I'm glad you and your wife came through all right.

I don't have any experience with carrying with an injured arm, but I have thought about it a fair bit. I currently primarily carry a P2000, and own SIGs, Glocks, and a pair of LCP Customs as well. If I were going to have to carry one-handed, my choice would be my DAK P226 9mm. I have found the long, light trigger control to be the easiest when shooting one-handed, and l like the fact that there is no decocking manipulation required post-shooting. Also, the high capacity (especially with Mec-Gar 18 round mags) drastically reduces the need for a one-handed reload that might utilize a sundial as a shot timer.

I agree with your decision not to open carry. I'm not generally a fan of it to begin with, but you could easily find yourself having to choose between using your arm to defend yourself, or just protecting the gun. This might be something that someone who wants a shiny new gun would decide to capitalize on.

I think the fanny pack is probably your best option, but I would hesitate to make an LCR your primary, due to the low capacity, and difficulty in shooting a small revolver to begin with, particularly WHO (I assume you are right handed?). I don't know that chamber-checking is particularly important, as you can just leave your carry gun loaded. Also, this is where having ledge style sights are good for malfunction clearance.

I will be interested to see your thoughts on this issue going forward.

Best of luck on a speedy recovery!

I went through this a year and a half ago. I had surgery on my right shoulder, the damage the result of a fall. After giving it much thought, and some experimenting, I stuck with the gen 1 (1 pin, 1988?) g-19. I used the factory cheapo plastic holster worn left handed, and a spare mag in the same cheap factory plastic carrier behind it on the left. if I shot it empty, it would be slide locked back. I could drop the empty, put it in the holster, retrieve spare mag, insert, and pull gun again. I knew I could cycle the slide on the rear sight on my regular stiff leather belt if need be. I still cant move the shoulder correctly due to other injuries complicating the recovery of the shoulder, normal high ride right side holsters don't work, I cant move the hand high enough yet. If casually carrying now around the yard, its in the back pocket. I can reach it, slowly, but it works for my rural use. For going to town, I think I just wore a vest, the usual dress/western style. It probably wasn't difficult to determine if I were carrying, but it wasn't an issue in my situation and area.

For some home time, I worked the sling straps through the glock holster belt loops and it was then on me as desired, even wearing scrubs around the house.

The junky plastic glock factory mag loaders do enable you to load mags one handed, holding the mag between your legs or knees on the bed. I ttried it, but having a few mags around it wasn't that much of an issue. Mine has a loaded chamber indicator extractor, but once it was loaded, I never had need to unload it, so chamber checking wasn't actually an issue for me. I could feel it, and knew I hadn't emptied the chamber.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-13-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Been there, done that. Draping an unbuttoned button short sleeve over the wife beater (often with blood stains) and weak side OWB, weak side AIWB, or fanny pack is what worked for me depending on the day. You'll have to work with it per your situation day by day and there is no right answer other than "German Shepherd or Belgian Malinois."
    #RESIST

First, I am glad to hear that you and your spouse are still with us. I wish you a speedy and full recovery.

When I was injured in a similar fashion, I had a tailor stitch some loop Velcro inside the arm sling. I was able to hide a 642 inside the sling, using a Kydex holster with some hook Velcro glued to the outside of it.

It also made removing the pistol much safer and easier when entering a prohibited place. Pop the Kydex holster with gun inside out of the hidden cranny of the arm sling, and you are good.

Also, not a lot of people think twice about someone "adjusting" or scratching a injured arm inside a sling.

Let me know if you want to borrow a weapon fanny pack, I have a couple of the Eagle Industries and a Camelbak Goblin one as well. All look suitably "grey".

I'll try and find my Million Mom March fanny pack as well.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 04-13-2017 at 08:37 PM.

BTDT. Broke right ulnar, radius 2 hours into a 3 day Dennis Martin 2012 class. Got splinted, ate lunch, got casted. I was 3/4 through chemo at the time.

Shot the class next few days with GL 17 in CCC left hand AIWB ( actually spleen side ). 2 -3 mag pouches 8:00- 9:00. 342 in left front pocket. Clinch pic set up for left hand front waist.

Orthopod at home put in and later removed a T plate + 11 screws. 4 months and 4,000 rounds I was a left hand shooter.

During this period I carried daily 2 GL17s, 2 spare mags, S&W 342, fixed blade knives.

Thoughts:

High capacity is your friend, a 2nd high capacity pistol is faster than a 1 hand reload.

You are diminished, you may need to go to gun and knife sooner.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Been there, done that. Draping an unbuttoned button short sleeve over the wife beater (often with blood stains) and weak side OWB, weak side AIWB, or fanny pack is what worked for me depending on the day. You'll have to work with it per your situation day by day and there is no right answer other than "German Shepherd or Belgian Malinois."
    Got stuck with off-side pocket carry of a .380 twenty years ago after an on-site injury to my right hand. But I am intrigued.......Do you open carry, or CCD (Carry Concealed Dog)? Kydex, or leather?. I'm trying to picture appendix carry of my beast, and it's daunting. Gives new meaning to "muzzling your junk".

Site Supporter
    Buckshot,

I am glad to hear that you are on the mend! I encountered the same issue some years back with a AC joint injury. I worked through all of the one handed manipulations and chose a gun that would provide the greatest ammo count. (G19 at that time). I solved the issue of carry by taking my immobilizer to a dry cleaners that did alterations. They added loop velcro to the interior of the sling. I used a thumb snap universal holster from an Eagle bag to hold the pistol. It concealed well without a cover garment and made for an efficient draw. When a reload was needed I dropped the mag and placed the empty gun magwell up in the sling. I carried a spare mag strong side and did the reload from there.

One of the things that I did not consider was the mobility issue. That came up in 2012 when I suffered a Lis Franc fracture in my L foot. I was non-weight bearing for almost 4 months which meant the use of crutches. I was able to carry normally but I came to the realization that moving and shooting were going to be mutually exclusive. Being gimpy made the use of a fanny pack a little less out of place and provided a place to carry extra stuff should I need to plunk down behind cover and defend until the cavalry arrived.

Both times, I was able to validate the changes made to my normal carry routine. A change of equipment usually brings a need to modify tactics. Try to get to the range and see if your modifications are workable. If you get creative you should be able to adapt your carry routine to your current abilities.

If you choose an autoloader, make sure it functions well with your perhaps weaked one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    BTDT. Broke right ulnar, radius 2 hours into a 3 day Dennis Martin 2012 class. Got splinted, ate lunch, got casted. I was 3/4 through chemo at the time.

Shot the class next few days with GL 17 in CCC left hand AIWB ( actually spleen side ). 2 -3 mag pouches 8:00- 9:00. 342 in left front pocket. Clinch pic set up for left hand front waist.

Orthopod at home put in and later removed a T plate + 11 screws. 4 months and 4,000 rounds I was a left hand shooter.

During this period I carried daily 2 GL17s, 2 spare mags, S&W 342, fixed blade knives.

Thoughts:

High capacity is your friend, a 2nd high capacity pistol is faster than a 1 hand reload.

You are diminished, you may need to go to gun and knife sooner.
    It's funny I thought you were joking the first time I heard you say this but having met you in person and seen what you carry I know you aren't kidding. Gabe is THE Lord of the Food Court but you give him a serious run for his money on the King of All Junk Carry title.

On a serious note Buckshot, sorry you got hurt. I'm happy to hear you are on the road to recovering, may it be expedient. IMHO I absolutely agree with others' here that capacity is your friend when one handed and a bug or second gun is even better than just one hicap. Personally I would opt for AIWB weak side with a weak side pocket carry. If you are concerned about the speed and coordination of your draw the pocket carry gives you an opportunity that the AIWB or OWB doesn't. A hand in the pocket is a pretty normal thing. Pocket carry would allow you to get your hand on the gun before shit gets sideways. If handicapped I'd rather start a confrontation with my hand on the gun. Your revolver is perfect for this.

A hicap semi-auto AIWB gives you some options and complements the pocket carry. AIWB allows ease of access in a variety of positions and is much faster than a fanny pack. Whether seated, or standing AIWB doesn't require much torquing or your body during presentation. If you wear it outboard more in the 2 o'clock, or 10 o'clock position you might be able to clear the sling. Depends a lot on body type though. If AIWB doesn't work then fanny pack would be a third choice but with the caveat of a pocket bug, same goes for OWB weak side, add bug. Look at your draw and what can be the most efficient without injuring yourself further. I would opt for something I could practice with every day just for a little bit without discomfort or further injury. I would seriously look at the complement of whatever you decide to carry with a bug that covers the weakness in access of the other gun. Dugga Boy is also The Kind of Fanny Pack Carry. You can hit him up for ideas if you decide to go that route. He seriously knows his stuff and would be a great resource.

Last note. 1slow also hit it on the head that you are diminished now and can articulate that. Your awareness needs to be up a little more since you will probably thought of as easy pickins. Reactionary gap is your friend more so now than ever. Verbalization and spacial awareness are more important than ever. Bell Nesbit is also spot on that you need to make sure your weapons will function with diminished grip. I would add to that in making sure you work some one handed manipulations, clearing a malf. loading, unloading etc. Use some snap caps and get to work since you are behind the power curve. Good luck and I hope you are well soon.
    Last edited by Mike C; 04-14-2017 at 08:25 AM.

User Tag List