Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CCW while injured - definitely a can of worms

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    OMG! You're a monster!
    I used to play electric guitar for a living & I still play in church to keep my hand in, so to speak. I was missing it too much after being sidelined for a month, so I took off the sling & played 5 Easter services over the weekend. I let my head swell up yesterday when one of our Pastors (who played guard for the Houston Oilers) praised me for "toughing it out". YOU SIR toughed that one out!
    I've DEFINITELY thought through the diminished issue & came to that conclusion. I also need to keep my awareness notched WAY up (not easy when in pain) & start walking in the other direction sooner if the "Scooby-sense" is tripped.
    Actually, I do not have a high pain threshold or high pain tolerance, I however know the universe is indifferent to my pain so I deal as best I can. The 2 breaks did not hurt that much, just felt wrong, something about a slight S curve in the forearm. Once it was set I did not need anything but Aleve. I very much agree about heightened awareness when damaged.

Wanted to report back that I finally made the time to go to the range last night and run thru about 300 rounds running one handed. Started slowly, just putting careful deliberate holes in small targets at 10 yds, then did a lot of plate rack work. We can argue the relative merits of plate rack work but I needed to focus on simple sight picture & squeeze with one hand, so 6" at 15 yds seemed tough enough. It all seems a lot more important right now than it does during the once a month match when I'd need to fire a few one handed rounds & gave myself a bye if I didn't do so hot. It also reminded me that I used to always include at least one mag's worth of work with each hand on every range trip - when did I quit that? It wasn't enough, but at least it was something.
    I shot my LCR 38 Spl, G43, a G19 w/ the TBRCi Comp and a buddy's PX4CC Type 4. The comp on the G19 helps some one handed & the perception was the hotter the ammo, the less the muzzle rose. That PX4CC works spooky good for me- I had ran 1 mag thru one of Ernie's at class last summer and was pretty impressed. I almost skipped shooting it then because I figured who cares about a DA/SA gun that has more in common with a friggin' Steyr-Hahn, than a 1911? Last night I went back & forth 1 handed on the plate rack between the two and always equaled or bettered my G19 performance (& I've been using G19s ever since there's been G19s).
    All in all, it really helped my confidence & outlook to have worked at the range around the handicap - just wished I had done it sooner.

Saw the orthopod today & scheduled surgery for late next week. I'm gonna get time to really work on my one-handed manipulation & shooting - 6 weeks immobilized in a sling & another 8 weeks rehab after that.

When I saw the thread title, I thought 'simple, I had no issue switching over & goingweak hand only for several months.' Well, not quite the OP's intent.

So, I tried to upload a doc that appears direcly on point, but it is .29mb too large. I imagine a net search would find it. The file is titled:
    10-14-13OhioPolicyFromEMSperspective.pdf
    Again, I tried to upload it but is a bit too large. It focuses on lawfully armed, concealed weapon carriers from the EMS perspective.

Site Supporter
    When I got hurt I just carried a 642 in a pocket holster. After rotator cuff surgery I used a lefty holster for my Glock 19. You never know when your going to get injured. Train now to use each hand independently. Buy mirror image holsters now and break them in. Think about low recoil options for carry guns if you injure your hands. For me a 642 with 148 wadcutters and Kramer pocket holsters worked

User Tag List