Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How It's Made: Andrews Custom Leather

Sam is a great guy. Used to buy in person when I lived in the same area as him. Definitely has tha Bob Ross easy-going nature.

Great quality products too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff S. View Post
    A lot of leather holsters I've seen, including those from top-end makers, leave the trigger partially exposed. Seems strange to me.
    I noticed the same thing. Even in the video you can see it. Isn't that an issue? I'm very interested in the McDaniel II but can't get past the partial coverage of the trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    I noticed the same thing. Even in the video you can see it. Isn't that an issue? I'm very interested in the McDaniel II but can't get past the partial coverage of the trigger guard.
    In my experience there is more than enough material covering it. You can't fit your finger in there. I have carried cocked and locked 1911's, a cocked and locked USP45 Compact, and Glocks in them. Never an issue. I will say the version posted on his website is an older one and the new ones do cover more of it (see my pics on the previous page).

In June 2015, I ordered two belts and a monarch shoulder holster from Sam. He was very friendly and helpful on the phone, walking me through the options and making suggestions. Since I was ordering "standard" products and the holster was for a G19 he stated that that I would have all three products by the end of August 2015. My credit card was charged for the order the day after I talked with him in June.

At the end of September 2015 I had not received the products and I gave Sam a call. He was very polite on the phone and stated he was a one man shop and that making holsters for Hollywood had put him behind but that he was caught up now. I would have my order no later than the end of October 2015.

I received the two belts and holster in late February/early March 2016. I do not care for the belts, they are too thin for my desires for a carry belt but that is largely a personal preference. The monarch appears high quality though I have not really used it. My customer service experience was very lacking and I am unlikely to order from Sam again. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    In June 2015, I ordered two belts and a monarch shoulder holster from Sam. He was very friendly and helpful on the phone, walking me through the options and making suggestions. Since I was ordering "standard" products and the holster was for a G19 he stated that that I would have all three products by the end of August 2015. My credit card was charged for the order the day after I talked with him in June.

At the end of September 2015 I had not received the products and I gave Sam a call. He was very polite on the phone and stated he was a one man shop and that making holsters for Hollywood had put him behind but that he was caught up now. I would have my order no later than the end of October 2015.

I received the two belts and holster in late February/early March 2016. I do not care for the belts, they are too thin for my desires for a carry belt but that is largely a personal preference. The monarch appears high quality though I have not really used it. My customer service experience was very lacking and I am unlikely to order from Sam again. YMMV.
    This seems to be a common trend for custom makers, honestly. I've had stuff held up months beyond the quoted date from even the most respected of 1 man shops. Now, September to Feb/Mar of the next year seems like an exceptionally long time.....I'm not trying to defend Mr Andrews, have never owned any of his work, but it does seem to me that no 1-man shop seems to be immune from these issues. For some it became very bad and boiled over (re: Garrity's Gunleather a few years ago, when people started contacting the PD he worked at to tell the chief how he wasn't delivering on items which were paid for).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This seems to be a common trend for custom makers, honestly. I've had stuff held up months beyond the quoted date from even the most respected of 1 man shops. Now, September to Feb/Mar of the next year seems like an exceptionally long time.....I'm not trying to defend Mr Andrews, have never owned any of his work, but it does seem to me that no 1-man shop seems to be immune from these issues. For some it became very bad and boiled over (re: Garrity's Gunleather a few years ago, when people started contacting the PD he worked at to tell the chief how he wasn't delivering on items which were paid for).
    I don't disagree. I can certainly understand the delays, especially with a one man shop. And things happen, we're all human after all. What was troubling to me was that the timeline was not communicated on two separate occasions. I have ordered from several other holster makers in the past and the lead times were much better communicated and accurate. Just my experience.

Site Supporter
    CT,
    I weighed in pretty heavy on that Garrity thread. As a very small, grip seller, I have myself missed my self imposed 10 business day delivery window. I try to communicate with my customers in real time and offer discounts or refunds as desired if I miss my window which can happen around Spring Break with kids, Summer Vacation etc. But when you quote 12 weeks and deliver in 36 weeks, after two follow ups, that is simply unacceptable absent a prior offers for a prompt/full refund or a delayed delivery with a substantial discount.

Rich at CCC and Milt Sparks are two of the best on this issue. ( I am sure there are others.) Rich simply stopped taking orders and worked his tail off to deliver in the promised timeframes while maintaining a 2 week turnaround for accessories and warranty work if not sooner. As a result, I have no doubt that Rich cost himself thousands of dollars in revenue as that was a timeframe when there were a lot less AIWB kydex makers on the market.

Milt Sparks-would close their order books 5-10 days into a given month in order to consistently meet their 12-18 week delivery times. Both Rich and MS typically did not charge the CC until the product was about ready to ship.

Everybody can have delays, particularly in small businesses... it is the apology, fix and commitment not to do it again that is key.

YMMV Greatly.

Sam has missed the projected date a few times, but he's told me at the time of ordering that the projected date might be a bit optimistic. On the other hand, I asked him once to make me this holster, cause I needed one on short order. He came through spectacularly in a month

My life in the firearms world revolves around customs. Over the years, I've lowered my standards to meet the typical failures to meet SUPPLIER established timelines. Wrong, I know, but that's how the bespoke world seems to operate. And then there's the items that were paid for and NEVER delivered.......

I think that Sam is a victim of the modern era to some degree. He's older than you might think from seeing him in those videos. He may not realize that in the microwave economy everyone expects real-time updates, constant contact, etc. which doesn't excuse missing deadlines, since this is the way of the modern world and he chooses to operate in it. But, he comes from a time when people knew that hand-made meant one guy in a shop, that delivery dates for hand-made were targets not guarantees, and both parties went into the deal knowing what to expect.

When I bought from him i called hm up to make sure he was home, drove out and gave him my cash, and he would later call me to tell me my item was ready and to drive out there and pick it up. To put it into perspective, that was way to the left in this chart.
    http://www.internetlivestats.com/internet-users/
    Last edited by rob_s; 04-18-2017 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    In my experience there is more than enough material covering it. You can't fit your finger in there. I have carried cocked and locked 1911's, a cocked and locked USP45 Compact, and Glocks in them. Never an issue. I will say the version posted on his website is an older one and the new ones do cover more of it (see my pics on the previous page).
    Thank you for the reassurance EC. The reviews I could find elsewhere and here (yours included) were overwhelmingly positive. Ordered one today. A stroke of luck, he had a G19 already assembled, ready for molding and dyeing. Should be ready in 2 - 3 weeks.

User Tag List