Thread: Gripping the gun on the Draw?

Gripping the gun on the Draw?

When you are moving to put your hand on the gun during the first part of the draw are you coming straight down on the gun, moving your hand behind the gun and coming down and forward or coming from the side and lifting it up? What part of your hand makes contact with the gun first? Do you have some sort of reference point to ensure the correct grip on the draw?

First and foremost establish your master grip in the holster. You should be coming straight down on the gun and drive down into the gun. This is where a good holster and belt combination really matters. By driving down into the gun you can ensure the gun is deep into the web of your hand. Additionally you will get a bounce back effect that will aid in the presentation of the gun from the holster.

Don't try and come into the gun from odd unrepeatable angles. Concentrate on coming straight down and driving the web of your hand into the backstrap. Once you have good contact with pressure down onto the backstrap then wrap your fingers and finally lift on the rebound. Scoop draws where you come up from under the gun catch it on the upstroke and lift is a recipe for disaster.

Consistency is key. Wear your holster in the same spot. Practice presenting the gun dry regularly. Every time you strap on your gun you should verify the your equipment setup by going through a few presentations. If you can't be bothered you shouldn't be carrying.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

The web of your hand is your reference point. From there everything else will fall into place.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    JohnO hit all the important parts. I'll just note that if you're doing something like AIWB, it might be necessary to push your hand behind the gun so that you get the proper index when the pistol comes out of the holster. Like John said, it's got to be consistent and repeatable.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    First and foremost establish your master grip in the holster. You should be coming straight down on the gun and drive down into the gun. This is where a good holster and belt combination really matters. By driving down into the gun you can ensure the gun is deep into the web of your hand. Additionally you will get a bounce back effect that will aid in the presentation of the gun from the holster.

Don't try and come into the gun from odd unrepeatable angles. Concentrate on coming straight down and driving the web of your hand into the backstrap. Once you have good contact with pressure down onto the backstrap then wrap your fingers and finally lift on the rebound. Scoop draws where you come up from under the gun catch it on the upstroke and lift is a recipe for disaster.

Consistency is key. Wear your holster in the same spot. Practice presenting the gun dry regularly. Every time you strap on your gun you should verify the your equipment setup by going through a few presentations. If you can't be bothered you shouldn't be carrying.
    Might the shortest thread ever. Nice.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Being that I generally carry 12 O'Clock AIWB - I "slide" my gun hand up the holster/front of my pants until it clears the belt line and I feel my fingers contact the "front" of the grip, this is my "index" that my hand is in the correct position and I drive it down and slightly left to force the webbing between my thumb into the grip tang.
    Last edited by SsevenN; 04-13-2017 at 01:26 PM.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Quote Originally Posted by jaym_100 View Post
    When you are moving to put your hand on the gun during the first part of the draw are you coming straight down on the gun, moving your hand behind the gun and coming down and forward or coming from the side and lifting it up? What part of your hand makes contact with the gun first? Do you have some sort of reference point to ensure the correct grip on the draw?
    The direction of hand's movement depends on gun's ergos and holster position. My hand's position and initial contact point on the gun are different from HK to Tanfo to Glock so I don't expect my hand's travel be identical. Likewise, hand's travel to AIWB and immediately available contact surface are vastly different from those to an open holster so there are some variances here. My hand's first contact point is always web and each gun has its own reference points.
    Last edited by YVK; 04-13-2017 at 08:37 PM.

For carry at 0300, since at least the mid/late-Nineties, I have been reaching downward, then upon contact, sliding my hand up the back of the grip, firmly into the tang, because that keeps things consistent with clearing the several retention features of my mandated duty holster.

For carry at appendix, to include AIWB, it is more straight-down onto the weapon's grip.

During my days of using mostly revolvers for police duty and most personal carry, I tended to approach the weapon low from the front, and when at the right point, grab and more-or-less scoop the gun upward from the holster. This worked well enough with break-front duty holsters, and would still work today if all I carried were revolvers, but it wastes motion with auto-pistols because the tang gets in the way. This way did not waste too terribly much motion when I toted a an old-school P220, in the early Nineties, but most modern autos have longer tangs, so, again, I will say that this way wastes too much motion when used with autos. I NOW draw revolvers the say way I draw autos.

I cannot envision "coming in from the side," unless some horrendous temporary situation forced me to approach it that way.

Regardless, I want a firm firing grip to be attained at the outset of the draw.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-14-2017 at 06:42 PM.

I should do a video detailing various draw techniques.

I default to the over-then-slap aiwb draw. Which means I clear my garment with my hand, thumb up for max clearing/contact then slap my thumb into the master grip position.

However there are various draws which are applicable in order to overcome certain situations.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I was just reading up on this topic myself and this video really helped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45QhpvY9LZc

User Tag List