Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback from training that makes you tear up...

Feedback from training that makes you tear up...

For my fellow instructors:

One of my detectives won an OIS at close range yesterday.

Can't go into details now, either, because I responded to scene, but that father and grandpa sent my training partner Troy and I a nice text today:

"Can't share details just yet, but but I have to tell you that yours and Dan's excellent training saved my life. Thank you!"

Got a bit taux up. Makes you feel relevant as you approach geezerhood.
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 04-13-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Vending Machine Operator
    Congratulations. As a brother of LEO and someone who grew up a cop's kid, that earns my sincere gratitude. Update us when you can, and good on you for helping save a life.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

One of the best rewards for teaching. Well done man.

Cat

It doesn't get any better than that. Congrats and kudos to you both.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Affirmation, confirmation, validation ..... call it what whatever you wish. I agree, it does make you feel good.

I had a similar experience when an Officer came to me afterwards and said, "I could almost hear your voice in my head as the event was unfolding."
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

He's back on light duty w his pistol back.

State's investigation on hold till bad guy can be interviewed.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

The officer involved in our last OIS shot a guy after a foot chase. The shot was from 44 yards. After the shooting he told me and the other firearms staff that after he missed the first few shots, he heard our voices in his head telling him to focus on his front sight and press the trigger smoothly. He did and shot the guy with his next shot. One shot to the guys back which temporarily paralyzed bad guy. The bad guy was shooting at 2 of our officers when he was hit. The bullet is still lodged next to his spinal cord.

It's stuff like that that makes it worthwhile.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Damn straight. Good job.

Cat

Site Supporter
    I ran into a local agency officer a few weeks ago. He has nearly 20 years on the job and reminded me that I'd done his academy firearms training. He told me he'd been in an OIS a few years after the academy. I asked him how many shots he fired and he said "four". I then asked how many hits on the offender and he said "four". Also said the offender is no longer with us and that what he learned and then polished worked well in the shooting. It wasn't dramatic, but it was a big lift for me.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Followup:

My guy cleared last week by DA and back to work. BG in hospital recovering from head wounds outside brain pan.

It was EQCB shooting.

Went to cuff BG and he started punching my guy who punched back and put him on deck.

Grabbed one arm to roll onto stomach to cuff and saw .38 snubby coming out of support side pant pocket.

He pushed back from BG and said he did what we told him to do: just draw fast, index on threat and shoot.

He drew against dude's draw and beat him.

He told me he experienced tunnel vision and auditory exclusion but no super slow-mo vision.

My guy is in late 40s, a grandfather and a cop here for nearly two decades, and has worked at other agencies prior.

He's doing just fine.
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 05-09-2017 at 06:19 PM.

User Tag List