Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holsters that work with a Tucked Shirt?

Holsters that work with a Tucked Shirt?

I recently got my MD carry permit and for the first time in my life I am able to carry every day. Despite shooting 500+ rnds a week training for competitions I am finding myself a bit lost in the CCW world. I work in an office and wear kakis and a tucked button up shirt every day. This environment really seems to limit my carry options. So far I have been carrying a G43 in a pocket holster, it works well enough but it definitely prints and I would like to get something IWB to get use of my pocket back. I would appreciate any advice.

Smartcarry or an ankle rig are your best bets, in my experience. I wear the same thing as you to work every day, and normally carry a Glock 26 or S&W 442 in a Galco ankle holster. I've never had good luck with a pocket holster in today's common pants. Tuckable holsters mostly suck, at least for larger guns - I haven't tried one for a Glock 43 sized pistol, though. Desantis makes an inexpensive tuckable holster called the Sof-Tuck or something like that. It might be worth trying out to see if that kind of carry will work for you.

Smartcarry. Pleated khakis will give you a bit of wiggle room. I wouldn't go any larger than the G43.

ETA: If you wear high top dress boots 5"+, you might be able to get away with ankle carry.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; 04-13-2017 at 07:50 AM.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

I'm not interested in ankle carry, I tried it and just didn't like anything about it. I keep looking at Smart Carry but it looks like the most awful contraption I have ever seen. I don't understand how something that massive won't show up or be uncomfortable to wear. Been doing some reading here and on other sights and I just ordered a ulticlip and a Bianchi T100, though I am skeptical they will work either. At least that experiment is under $50. In anticipation of failure still open to other ideas, thanks for the advice so far.

For IWB I really like the Kinetic Concealment Holsters. They tuckable and highly adjustable. They also have a neoprene backing so they are very comfortable. I've never been a fan of ankle holsters....they are very awkward even after some training. Another option would be a belly band. I have not experience with those though.

Site Supporter

Holsters that work with a Tucked Shirt?

A G43 in your pocket is the best you are going to be able to do. Tuckable IWB holsters do not conceal well at all. Ankle holsters carry the risk of the pants leg rising up too high while sitting or getting in and out of cars. People expect people to carry things in pockets, so unless that printing is definitely gun-shaped, you should be fine. Keep in mind that, unless you are allowed to carry at work, even a 1% chance of getting caught is unacceptable, so should is not good enough.

The best pocket holsters I have seen are the Aholster, which I currently use for my G26, and the DeSantis SuperFly. Of the two, the Aholster is best. Take a few minutes to round off the sharp hook on top with a nail file or sandpaper to prevent poking a hole in your pocket, but leave enough to hook your pocket during a draw. If you are using a pocket holster that does not have an anti-print panel, consider folding about 4 sheets of copy paper into a rectangle and putting them in your pocket in front of your gun.

Clothing selection is critical. You should be buying pants with an extra 2" in the waist to make room for an IWB holster, and the extra room will also help keep pocket holsters hidden. I buy relaxed fit, pleated pants for better printing reduction. Make sure your pants are long enough so that they still cover an ankle holster while seated. Your shirts, sweaters, and jackets should also be sized accordingly.

Since I am business casual 5-6 days/week, I find that owning a lot of sweaters and lightweight sweater vests to be really helpful for concealing the gun in cooler weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 04-13-2017 at 09:17 AM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Luckily my employer is good with me carrying and even helped me get my permit. I am using the desantis superfly now, I may order aholster just to see the difference. Thanks Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfaced View Post
    For IWB I really like the Kinetic Concealment Holsters. They tuckable and highly adjustable. They also have a neoprene backing so they are very comfortable. I've never been a fan of ankle holsters....they are very awkward even after some training. Another option would be a belly band. I have not experience with those though.
    Those clips will get you caught in an office environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I recently got my MD carry permit and for the first time in my life I am able to carry every day. Despite shooting 500+ rnds a week training for competitions I am finding myself a bit lost in the CCW world. I work in an office and wear kakis and a tucked button up shirt every day. This environment really seems to limit my carry options. So far I have been carrying a G43 in a pocket holster, it works well enough but it definitely prints and I would like to get something IWB to get use of my pocket back. I would appreciate any advice.

I disagree with most people's fear of tucked in carry. If you can AIWB then tucked in is just as if not easier than untucked. I can conceal my G19 with a t-shirt or button up. Drawing a non-stretch button up takes some experimenting. The shirt must blouse loosely enough to get the shirt tail out of the way. Drawing is a bit slower, but if one were to just practice that draw it would come along quickly. I live in the middle of no where so I've been practicing with my AIWB 2.0 from JMCK. No one has asked what those clips are for. LOL. It works well but the draw is different. Grabbing the blouse over the pistol is most consistent for me.

For an office you would need a special made holster obviously. JMCK has a tucked holster version for the 43. If I switch fully I will probably stick with a G19. I think Tony says he will make one if you ask.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Those clips will get you caught in an office environment.
    Not 100% concealed but matching the belt color it's pretty hard to tell.

User Tag List