Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting holster for Glock 20?

Hunting holster for Glock 20?

Hi folks. I just recently joined the forum in the hope of getting a little advice from those with more experience of firearms than myself. With no background in or experience of guns, so my current task of finding a suitable holster (as a birthday present for my uncle) is proving a little difficult. He is an avid hunter and, as well as his various rifles, he owns a Glock 20 which he also takes out with him on his hunts. Anyways, I have been told that he is in the market for a new holster for his Glock and I thought that this would make a great present for his upcoming (landmark) birthday. Anyway, I have been looking around online at various websites and found a few options, but as I say, I am no expert. I suspect that he would appreciate something along the lines of the Blackhawk Serpa holsters, but I am not sure how suited these would be to the hunting environment. Would a nylon option be a better idea? Or is there a different brand of holster altogether that I should be considering? As I say, I have no experience of this kind of thing so any advice that anybody can offer would be truly appreciated. Many thanks in advance folks.

Do you know how he carries his G20 now? Thigh holsters can feel very bulky. I'm personally not a fan of the Serpa design, though many like it.

If this is a "big deal" gift, I'd consider a couple options:

1: Utility - Find out how he wants to carry his G20 (which may not be how he carries it now, and may require you to simply ask him what he wants...) and get him that.
    2: Thought that counts: Get him something in really nice leather that he'll be proud to own. He may love this or be ambivalent.

There are tons of options and tons of opinions, but if this is a gift, and something you want your uncle to really enjoy... then you need to ask him.

I use the Hill People Chest rig or the Kenai chest holster for hunting. I've found that having it on my chest keeps it accessible but out of the way of my pack's waistbelt and easily accessible when in vehicles/sitting.

Hunting holster for Glock 20?

I have not hunted with handguns, or even carried them in that role. I have done a lot of backpacking and hunting with rifles, but still take my suggestion with a huge grain of salt.

I really like the idea of a chest holster for outdoor use, and the leather styles like this have an undeniable cool factor for me. If I were going to carry a handgun while hunting, that's the type of rig I would be looking at. For a landmark birthday a finely crafted leather holster would make a great gift.

I may be completely off base here, maybe that type/brand of holster is terrible and will get you killed. I'm sure someone like GJM or Malamute who has used handguns in that role will be along soon to give a more informed opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NerdAlert; 04-13-2017 at 05:53 AM.

Does your Uncle have a requirement to carry open or concealed, with what style pack and load, and in what weather conditions?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The only reason I wore a thigh holster was to keep my pistol below my body armor. The one in your pic is poor system and way too low. IMO any of them would be a bad choice for hunting.

I like Hill People Gear, but your uncle may not be up for a chest pouch. My second (and last) choice for hunting is a good belt holster. In kydex I like JMCK, in leather I always liked Kramer's belt scabbard.

Holsters are very much a personal preference, which makes them a tough surprise gift. I would either talk to him about them straight out or dance around the subject until I had a solid idea of what he likes.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Another option for field carry is a Simply Rugged Chesty Puller harness system combined with one of their pancake holsters (perhaps the Cuda or something similar). You could add options like carving, etc. to the holster to tailor it to his tastes...here's a couple of links:

https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...407&parent=669

https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...160&parent=672

https://www.facebook.com/14242756245...4242451940247/

Site Supporter
    Any design that uses the trigger finger to release the gun is a bad idea. If the wearer starts the drawstroke before the gun is fully released, the gun will not come out. When they curl their finger to get more force, that finger will go right to the trigger as the gun comes out, causing a negligent discharge, possibly into their own leg. There is at least one video of exactly this happening on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Absolutely DO NOT get him anything Serpa. A quick search on here will show pages and pages and pages of issues with Serpa holsters. The thigh rig you've shown is probably the worst piece of equipment they make - bulky, uncomfortable, just all around nasty.

A utilitarian solution would be a Safariland ALS holster - like this: https://www.safariland.com/products/...ter-23341.html

You can pair this with Safariland's MLS system (by removing the paddle and adding the MLS "forks") and give your uncle a variety of solutions to meet his needs - a simple drop belt rig, a thigh holster, etc.

I will also agree with others that if this is a "special event" gift, nothing beats a nice leather holster.

Another vote for the HPG Kit Bag if it fits his usage.

User Tag List