Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I, uh, broke my Sig...

Vending Machine Operator

I, uh, broke my Sig...

So, I bubba'd it guys. I bubba'd it bad.

I bought a Sig P229R DAK .40, former Novi, Michigan police pistol, for about $400. Great condition, I do not mind the DAK trigger at all, happy with the gun.

I do not like the old school grips, so I bought an E2 grip kit, watched the instructional vids on youtube, tried to install 4-5 times. Noticed it was very hard and a very rough fit. Even when I got the grip on with the correct new hammer strut, it was a very harsh, incorrect feeling fit, jammed the slide, etc.

Finally, after much frustrated research, I found out that DAK pistols have their OWN E2 grip kit and I had basically been trying to shove the wrong hammer strut in the gun for two hours. As a bonus I now have a useless grip kit I paid $60 for.

Now my trigger spring (the curly one to the right side of the gun) is too far away from the gun. Rather than sitting flush it sorta sits about 3 mm away. I figured putting all the original stuff back in would fix the issue, so I did. Back to the stock hammer strut (it is the new style short spring, short heel style that is E2 compatible), back to the stock grips.

The gun is back together, but something is wrong. I can wiggle the hammer with my fingers. The trigger pulls and the hammer does not appear to fall all the way, sorta "flops" in there, and the pull is too heavy and sticky/clingy. I have unbuilt and rebuilt it 2-3 times, same issue.

I know I bubba'd something up. Do I need to send to Sig and eat crow + $200 for the fix, or is the solution as simple as a new trigger spring and/or some gut piece I messed up in the hammer group?
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 04-12-2017 at 11:30 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Is the strut installed correctly? I had a heck of a time re-installing the hammer strut *correctly* when I swapped hammer springs on my 226 and 229.
    Shoot more, post less...

Vending Machine Operator

I, uh, broke my Sig...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Is the strut installed correctly? I had a heck of a time re-installing the hammer strut *correctly* when I swapped hammer springs on my 226 and 229.
    I think so. I put it up in there and manipulating the hammer makes it move, which is all the YouTube video says. Is there a diagram or more detailed video of positioning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 04-13-2017 at 10:20 AM.

A quick test when reinstalling the hammer strut is, once you have the upper portion positioned (before you even put the seat on), push upward with the strut parallel to the frame. If the hammer begins to move to the REAR, you DO NOT have it seated correctly. Upward pressure with it seated in the correct location should cause the hammer to move forward.

Re the trigger bar spring, just ensure you have it installed in the correct location; meaning the notch, NOT in the hole in the trigger bar. It's a common error for folks unfamiliar.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    A quick test when reinstalling the hammer strut is, once you have the upper portion positioned (before you even put the seat on), push upward with the strut parallel to the frame. If the hammer begins to move to the REAR, you DO NOT have it seated correctly. Upward pressure with it seated in the correct location should cause the hammer to move forward.

Re the trigger bar spring, just ensure you have it installed in the correct location; meaning the notch, NOT in the hole in the trigger bar. It's a common error for folks unfamiliar.
    Thank you! Will try tonight

I bought a Michigan Trooper trade in too! I got mine from Kieslers Police supply. All told, about 6 of them showed up in our office. 4 looked almost new, two had obviously been carried a LOT. Tons of nicks and dings outside, but internally looked barely fired. Luck of the draw...

I got the E2 grip, and it dropped right on to mine after I swapped the strut and spring housing... did not know there were multiple versions of it. I got lucky I guess.

For $375, I think I got a hell of a deal on that DAK.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Vending Machine Operator

I, uh, broke my Sig...

What the heck, why did the normal E2 work for you? Maybe has to do with my incorrect hammer strut install.

I paid $400 and I'd say mine was in Very Good+ to Excellent condition. Build date of 2012 so it must have sat in inventory or a holster.

Last edited by LockedBreech; 04-13-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    Amazingly, about a million tries later I haven't fixed it. I must have really tweaked something.

Might have to just send to Sig for a DA/SA conversion and some fresh night sights

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but did you put the trigger spring put back in its correct spot? The leg that connects to the trigger bar (at the rear of the gun) goes into a notch at the bottom of the trigger bar, and NOT into the little hole in the middle of the trigger bar that looks like it was made for the end of the spring. My understanding is that if you mess this up a symptom is a very heavy trigger pull.

Random internet picture of the spring installed CORRECTLY:
    Name:  14072326718_8be507f88c_b.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  49.0 KB

If the trigger spring is installed correctly, I would guess that the issue is the hammer strut position. It can be a bit tricky to get into the right position.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by jck397 View Post
    Apologies if this is a stupid question, but did you put the trigger spring put back in its correct spot? The leg that connects to the trigger bar (at the rear of the gun) goes into a notch at the bottom of the trigger bar, and NOT into the little hole in the middle of the trigger bar that looks like it was made for the end of the spring. My understanding is that if you mess this up a symptom is a very heavy trigger pull.

Random internet picture of the spring installed CORRECTLY:
    Name:  14072326718_8be507f88c_b.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  49.0 KB

If the trigger spring is installed correctly, I would guess that the issue is the hammer strut position. It can be a bit tricky to get into the right position.
    Checked that tonight based on your previous post, yes indeed sir.

User Tag List