Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MK319

I shot five (5) rds of T762NB1 out of my 16" SCAR-17s on 08/26/2016 (so average summer weather here up north). The data:

AVG = 2865.5; SD = 6.1; ES = 14.4

I know, small sample, but provides a good starting point. Based on an internet search, I think the G1 BC of that bullet is about .277.

Accuracy?

We only had the chance to fire two 5-shot groups at 100 yards. One was 2.25" and one was 2.5".

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    We only had the chance to fire two 5-shot groups at 100 yards. One was 2.25" and one was 2.5".
    How does this compare to other ammunition in this weapon?

Any terminal ballistics observations?

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Any terminal ballistics observations?
    I have been focused on 308 terminal ballistics for a 16" FAL for the last couple of months.
    I have shot 150 grain bullets for years and currently shoot 150 gr Nosler Accubonds and Ballistic Tips. But I am questioning that combo (150gr/16 ") based on some shots on deer that did not put them down as fast as I would have liked.
    Muzzle velocity of the 125 -130 grain bullets is roughly 200 fps faster than 150 grain out of a 16" barrel. But even more particularly, at medium range, say 200-300 yards, you are getting right at the bottom of expansion and hydrostatic shock envelopes for a lot of 150 grain bullets and are still within those velocity envelopes for a lot of 125-130 grain bullets at that range. Past 300 yards, I'd prefer the 150 grain, probably the 155 grain Hornady AMAX to assure expansion. But frankly, I'd trade better performance out to 300 yards, than better performance past 300 yards.
    Bullet selection is still pretty critical at or about that 2200 fps velocity, which is roughly 125/130 grain 16" velocities at or about 250-300 yards. I am thinking lighter/stouter, e.g. Nosler 125 gr Accubond, 125 gr SST Hornady
    From what I've read, some of the above was a driving force in the selection and design of the Mk319.
    I'd be curious what how others are seeing this issue.

What is "hydrostatic shock"?
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    What is "hydrostatic shock"?
    Doc, you are the last person on this earth I will attempt to explain anything about ballistics to. I am probably the one who should be asking you that question

All I know from 45 years of deer hunting is when I shoot a deer with a decent rifle bullet with velocities at or higher than 2600-2800 fps, my observation is they tend to go down faster and stay down more of the time. Maybe "stun" is a better word? And being "stunned", they bleed out before they recover enough to get back up... most times that is, but not all.
    Conversely, some deer I have shot at lower velocities will still expire from damage, but don't always go down at the point of the shot and go further before expiring.

I used to hunt with a Remington m700 police in 308 with 26" barrel. Same round out of a 16" FAL (which is what I now use in environment with less open shooting) does not put 'em down the same.

What do you recommend for a 308 out of a 16" barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    Doc, you are the last person on this earth I will attempt to explain anything about ballistics to. I am probably the one who should be asking you that question

All I know from 45 years of deer hunting is when I shoot a deer with a decent rifle bullet with velocities at or higher than 2600-2800 fps, my observation is they tend to go down faster and stay down more of the time. Maybe "stun" is a better word? And being "stunned", they bleed out before they recover enough to get back up... most times that is, but not all.
    Conversely, some deer I have shot at lower velocities will still expire from damage, but don't always go down at the point of the shot and go further before expiring.

I used to hunt with a Remington m700 police in 308 with 26" barrel. Same round out of a 16" FAL (which is what I now use in environment with less open shooting) does not put 'em down the same.

What do you recommend for a 308 out of a 16" barrel?
    https://federalpremium.com/ammunitio...ifle/f308fs2#1

This might do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

[QUOTE=JM Campbell;600909]https://federalpremium.com/ammunitio...ifle/f308fs2#1

This might do the trick.

I like the Fusion bullet. I use it in 223 for groundhogs.
    I could not find the barrel length listed for the 165gr 2700 fps velocity, but typically manufacturers use at least 22" for their testing.
    But I am only getting around 2550-2600 fps muzzle velocity with a 150 gr from a 16". I gotta go with a lighter bullet to get that velocity up.
    Unfortunately the only 130 gr bullet Federal lists is a varmint bullet and I would think it too light a construction for penetration for my purpose.

User Tag List