Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MK319

I think the 125 grain Nosler Accubond would be right up your alley. I'd imagine you could get around 2950 fps with the right load out of your 16" barrel. I wouldn't trust it to expand under 2000-2100 fps though. Should get you easily past 300 yards on medium (deer/hog) game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=LDM;600921]
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    https://federalpremium.com/ammunitio...ifle/f308fs2#1

This might do the trick.

I like the Fusion bullet. I use it in 223 for groundhogs.
    I could not find the barrel length listed for the 165gr 2700 fps velocity, but typically manufacturers use at least 22" for their testing.
    But I am only getting around 2550-2600 fps muzzle velocity with a 150 gr from a 16". I gotta go with a lighter bullet to get that velocity up.
    Unfortunately the only 130 gr bullet Federal lists is a varmint bullet and I would think it too light a construction for penetration for my purpose.
    That bullet from a 16" barrel is about 2500ish fps.
    The issue is that I believe the BC to be 20% inflated, based on data I have available to me from those who have shot the GDSP's out to 4-500 yards and recorded velocities far and near. For example, the 150gr Gold Dot I sent for testing is listed as a BC of 0.414, and the results I got back were 0.332. It was shot along side a bullet that has been tested by Bryan Litz at 0.427, and the tester's data was 0.438. It was also fired along side MK319, which is listed at 0.277, and found in that session to be 0.296.

Thanks to Unob and 4gallon.
    4gallon- Concur on expected velocity for 125 gr, the suitability of the Accubond, and the bottom of expansion threshold at 2000. Nosler website says expansion down to 1800 fps; but if I understand correctly, that is gel testing, i.e. shooting through uniform meat. BTW, I am from Aiken-Edgefield area of SC. That 700 Police was my beanfield rifle. Now I hunt in mountains of NC.
    Unob- I hear you on that BC. A lot of data from manufacturers web sites I take to be sales pitch and not complete enough for folks who really take an interest and dig into this stuff. As previously stated, that difference in velocity from a shorter 308 barrel really makes bullet selection, and particularly expansion thresholds of the particular bullet, the difference between effective and unsatisfactory.

Still interested in and open to what others think.
    Last edited by LDM; 05-09-2017 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    Thanks to Unob and 4gallon.
    4gallon- Concur on expected velocity for 125 gr, the suitability of the Accubond, and the bottom of expansion threshold at 2000. Nosler website says expansion down to 1800 fps; but if I understand correctly, that is gel testing, i.e. shooting through uniform meat. BTW, I am from Aiken-Edgefield area of SC. That 700 Police was my beanfield rifle. Now I hunt in mountains of NC.
    Unob- I hear you on that BC. A lot of data from manufacturers web sites I take to be sales pitch and not complete enough for folks who really take an interest and dig into this stuff. As previously stated, that difference in velocity from a shorter 308 barrel really makes bullet selection, and particularly expansion thresholds of the particular bullet, the difference between effective and unsatisfactory.

Still interested in and open to what others think.
    150gr GDSP from a 16" barrel should be VERY EFFECTIVE out to 300 yards, and still show meaningful expansion out to about 400 yards, and a .30 caliber hole with some tumbling is still ugly at any distance...

Here is expansion testing in wet news print of other Gold Dot rounds at @1600fps impact velocity.
    http://s610.photobucket.com/user/men...4e63e.jpg.html
    (Scrolling through the above photobucket is educational.)

The 155gr AMAX is a VERY viable solution that long range hunters have demonstrated to be effective down to about 1600ish fps or so. It should be leaving a 16" barrel (Hornady TAP) at around 2475fps, and has an actual (tested by Bryan Litz) BC of 0.424 G1. This places 1600 fps at a shade under 500 yards. The issue with AMAX is tip deformation/breaking off in a semi-automatic weapon.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 05-09-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Here is expansion testing in wet news print of other Gold Dot rounds at @1600fps impact velocity.
    http://s610.photobucket.com/user/men...4e63e.jpg.html
    (Scrolling through the above photobucket is educational.)
    Thanks for that info. Those photos are the kind of practical and applicable info needed to make an informed choice. I just wish the manufacturers would provide that on a routine basis. The fact they don't is perhaps a message about their product.
    Understand the Hornady SST has a good range of expansion velocities as well, reportedly down to 1600.

Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    Thanks for that info. Those photos are the kind of practical and applicable info needed to make an informed choice. I just wish the manufacturers would provide that on a routine basis. The fact they don't is perhaps a message about their product.
    Understand the Hornady SST has a good range of expansion velocities as well, reportedly down to 1600.
    The consensus is that the SST is the reason the AMAX is no longer advertised for game. Sales reasons.

I am just a dentist.

As such, I recommend projectiles that do not leave fragments in game animals that will consumed by humans.

For a 16" .308, the 150 gr Speer Gold Dot (or similar Fusion) is a good option. There are numerous other acceptable choices, depending on the task at hand.

For shots around 300 and closer on thin skinned game like deer, several possibilities include projectiles like:

-- Barnes makes 110 gr and 130 gr TSX & TTSX projectiles.

-- Hornady offers 110 & 125 gr GMX projectiles.

-- Nosler has the 125 gr Accubond.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

DocGKR,

I would be interested in hearing what you think of the MK319.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I am just a dentist.

As such, I recommend projectiles that do not leave fragments in game animals that will consumed by humans.

For a 16" .308, the 150 gr Speer Gold Dot (or similar Fusion) is a good option. There are numerous other acceptable choices, depending on the task at hand.

For shots around 300 and closer on thin skinned game like deer, several possibilities include projectiles like:

-- Barnes makes 110 gr and 130 gr TSX & TTSX projectiles.

-- Hornady offers 110 & 125 gr GMX projectiles.

-- Nosler has the 125 gr Accubond.
    The more experience I get with the Gold Dot rounds, the more I like them. Very accurate and precise. I am trying to dig further into the tested BC vs. advertised BC discrepancies I am getting for this round.

The SST/AMAX rounds are being pushed for "long range" hunting. I agree fully on avoiding frags in meat I will eat, but the fragmenting rounds drop game reliably at distances that other rounds pencil/tumble only on, which is why I mentioned them.

I will second Ed L, and inquire as to your opinion on MK319's terminal effects, especially the minimal velocity at which it will reliably do more than M80 ball. I also would like to know if it expands, or over-expands?

Part of the testing that was done on it in wet news print showed that it does not expand, but rather, that it tumbles, and frags. The nose section remains in-tact, per the shooter, which is how the conclusion was reached. I do not vouch for or against it. I'd like to know what it does on living things and gel.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 05-10-2017 at 01:15 AM.

At this point I think what I will try for my objectives is 125 gr Nosler Accubonds for hunting and 125 gr Nosler Ballistic tips for practice. These two bullets shoot to the same POI with the same load.
    If there were not the potential issue of lead contamination of meat from bullet fragmentation, I would probably go with the 125gr Hornady SST. This position may be an overabundance of caution. The SST has the interlocking ring construction to help hold it together and my velocities will not be that high. And it has a cannelure, which I like for a semi auto (particularly the FAL, which can be rough on bullet tips)
    But I am shooting Nosler now and have for years, so that tips the scales.
    Last edited by LDM; 05-12-2017 at 07:42 AM.

User Tag List