Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MK319

MK319

A lot of talk about MK318, but I'm buying a .308, and am curious about MK319. What data exists?

-Effective range of expansion/frag?
    -Does it perform identical to the MK318, or does it behave differently, terminally?
    -What kind of accuracy and actual velocity are people seeing (esp. from a 16" gun)?

Any other data/info?

Hopefully I will have an answer about velocity from a 16" barrel this weekend.

I have some related data points that may be useful. I loaded a thousand of the 130sost (mk319) projectiles in 300blk.

MV=2175
    50 yard V (calculated) = 2033
    100 yard V (calculated) = 1900

At 50 yards, informal testing yielded fragmentation, at 100 yards, basically an ice-pick hole.

So, one might estimate the minimum fragmentation velocity to be around 2000fps.

If you come across more empirical/reliable data, I'd be interested to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    A lot of talk about MK318, but I'm buying a .308, and am curious about MK319. What data exists?

-Effective range of expansion/frag?
    -Does it perform identical to the MK318, or does it behave differently, terminally?
    -What kind of accuracy and actual velocity are people seeing (esp. from a 16" gun)?

Any other data/info?
    I'm also very interested in any data you collect.. I did get to see a very non-scientific, noncompliant gel test of one round. It actually reminded me a lot of the 308win/110gr Horn TAP with a relatively short depth of max cavity 3.5-4 maybe 5 inches IIRC. Then a wound track that tappered down into a waddcutter like narrow track with overall very deep penitration. It was at least something like 20 inches.

This might sound studpid but I was seriously wondering about the projectile being loaded up in a 7.62x39 (or 300BLK) and fired from 14.5-16" AK. If at all possible and or even effective.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    I have some related data points that may be useful. I loaded a thousand of the 130sost (mk319) projectiles in 300blk.

MV=2175
    50 yard V (calculated) = 2033
    100 yard V (calculated) = 1900

At 50 yards, informal testing yielded fragmentation, at 100 yards, basically an ice-pick hole.

So, one might estimate the minimum fragmentation velocity to be around 2000fps.

If you come across more empirical/reliable data, I'd be interested to see it.
    Shot into what medium?
    So you presume to observe that it's "all or nothing", either it frags, or does not expand?

No, I in no way presume that it's all-or-nothing, nor do I attest that my simple experiment constitutes valid empirical data regarding the mk319's projectile performance.

It was an admittedly unscientific backyard test into jugs of wet-packed shredded paper. If the exit hole looks to be about .30", well, I draw my own conclusions from that.

If you find my anecdotal information to be useless, unfounded, or inapplicable, discard or ignore it.

I couldn't locate any "official" performance envelope data for the mk319 projectile, and this amateur experiment was the best I could do with the resources at hand.

If you do find gel tests at pro-rated velocities to mimic maximum range, or manufacturer's specs regarding minimum velocity, I'd love to see it.

(Edit: a quick google search returned the following quote from DocGKR on M4C: "FWIW, the SOST designs will continue to exhibit some upset down to around 1900-2000 fps.")
    Last edited by MisterHelix; 04-12-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    No, I in no way presume that it's all-or-nothing, nor do I attest that my simple experiment constitutes valid empirical data regarding the mk319's projectile performance.

It was an admittedly unscientific backyard test into jugs of wet-packed shredded paper. If the exit hole looks to be about .30", well, I draw my own conclusions from that.

If you find my anecdotal information to be useless, unfounded, or inapplicable, discard or ignore it.

I couldn't locate any "official" performance envelope data for the mk319 projectile, and this amateur experiment was the best I could do with the resources at hand.

If you do find gel tests at pro-rated velocities to mimic maximum range, or manufacturer's specs regarding minimum velocity, I'd love to see it.

(Edit: a quick google search returned the following quote from DocGKR on M4C: "FWIW, the SOST designs will continue to exhibit some upset down to around 1900-2000 fps.")
    Good find. No, I just wanted to know more about your experiment, ty!

When fired from a 16" barrel of a Knights SR-25 MK2 ECC velocities of this load ranged from 2803 feet per second to 2889 FPS:

Individual velocities of loads chronographed were:

I didn't see appreciable difference in bullet effectiveness between the 175 grain OTM and the Mk319 stuff.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

(Disregard, the following commentary is not really germane to the OP's question. Alas, there is no 'delete' button)

FWIW, if I were in a position to be issued a 13" SCAR (which I'm not)and was handed MK319 ammo, I'd be grateful that someone was making an effort to supply ammo that was tailored for that platform. If I were issued an m110 and the 175 smk, fine.

If I were a civilian looking for an optimal load for a 16"-20" AR10 or similar (which I am), I'd think that there would be any number of projectiles/loads that would be preferable, particularly if you handload. Lightweight monolithic bullets like the Barnes, medium weight bonded ballistic tips like the AccuBond, heavyweight frangible match projectiles like the A-Max, there's just a whole host of designs available.
    Last edited by MisterHelix; 04-16-2017 at 05:00 PM.

User Tag List