Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Heather MacDonald's Speech, shut down by protesters

We may not witness a proper "revolution", but we will likely see the Higher Education bubble pop in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    maybe it's time for flaming ruins and heads on sticks again then.
    Hey now, some of us in higher ed are at least partially sane.

That said, I definitely keep a very low profile on the job and do my best to impersonate a bland wallflower when it comes to any topics non-work related. Perhaps that will be able to change when I can move out of the DC quagmire and go some place more normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Since the college classrooms and campuses is where these creatures are hatched, sheltered and nurtured, I doubt highly that the college staff/administrators will be expelling them anytime soon.

Most of the professors are just like the kids, just older.

Cat
    Part of it certainly is because there's commonality of viewpoints between students and faculty. Another huge part is financial though. For schools who rely entirely on the tuition revenue model, kicking students out is obviously bad for the bottom line.

Never thought I'd say or think this, but it is time for the political establishment (at least in red states) to seize control of the universities and impose some semblance of order therein.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    It's early so i'm not firing on all cylinders yet, but I seem to remember history being replete with "institutions of higher learning" being burned to their foundations by the pitch fork and torch wielding crowds during certain periods of economic and civil unrest. Granted it hasn't happened here that I know of, and certainly not in recent times, but if my memory is remotely correct, you have to wonder why they (institutions) would choose to ignore this.
    An excellent point man. In my opinion it's for the same reason most people don't carry a gun 24/7: because deep down they know nothing bad will happen to them.

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    Part of it certainly is because there's commonality of viewpoints between students and faculty. Another huge part is financial though. For schools who rely entirely on the tuition revenue model, kicking students out is obviously bad for the bottom line.
    Absolutely true. I think that one of the worst things we ever did to ourselves as a country was to allow any government, but especially the Federal government anywhere near our schools.

Cat

User Tag List