Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: The efficacy of .22 in a self defense role

HeadHunter also mentioned the Crimson Trace LG-490 Lasergrip

http://www.crimsontrace.com/01-1800

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Can you explain the what the bolded part means please? A blog post would be fine if it is useful to you. Thanks.
    I cut a shallow groove in the underside of the grip and put a piece of stiff wire in with the end folded at about a 30 degree angle below the grip.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Wow, necro-thread.

So, yeah, for random violence a starter gun would deal with the majority of situations. My own stats show that many robbery attempts are foiled by the sight and/or sound of a gun (ie, the victim missed fast enough to win) so caliber is completely irrelevant there. I still don't get that as a reason to carry a rimfire, and particularly not to use capacity as an argument to do so. If people flee as soon as the shooting starts, what good is capacity? They are either fleeing as soon as you pull the trigger or they aren't. If they aren't fleeing...well, I'd rather have a caliber that will more rapidly incapacitate. An officer here a few years ago was struck through the upper heart with a .380 and while the wound was non-survivable he did put effective rounds on the bad guy as he went down. An officer more years ago was shot at near contact with a .25 to the back of the head, thought he'd been punched, and subsequently killed his attacker in a gunfight.

On the civilian side, during a disturbance between neighbors, Hillbilly A and Hillbilly B are on their respective porches arguing over some hillbilly shit, yelling at each other across their yards. B begins to threaten A. A goes in the house, comes out with a revolver (.32, IIRC, I can look in the case file if anyone actually cares), shoots B in the gut, then goes back in his house when B falls down. B didn't fall, he took cover behind his porch. Once the shooting stopped, he goes to A's house, kicks in the door, and beats him unconscious. B then goes ahead and calls 911 to report he was shot. It ended up as a SWAT call out on A's house, because B neglected to mention he'd beaten the guy unconscious. Once A woke up, he complied with PA commands and stumbled out of his house with a face that looked like a burst tube of sausage.

On the other hand, my grandmother protected herself with a .22 revolver via a show of force. The ultra-tactical H&R 9-shot .22. We were hillbillies in the back end of nowhere, a literal shack in the woods. My grandfather had died, I'd left for the Army, and she was home alone when a drunken "friend" of my grandfather decided to show up and wanted a "date". She pointed the gun at him and told him if his foot hit the top step he was a dead man. He decided he was just joking and left. Note a few years before that my grandmother, using the same revolver, also shot a wild dog that was chasing her favorite rooster. On the run. Through the eye. At about 35y from the back porch, or at least that's where the carcass was when I got home from school. I firmly believe she'd have done the same to the drunken suitor had it come to that.

So all that typing later, I agree the .22 can be effective...but so can a starter pistol. I also agree that duty calibers are more effective in situations were terminal ballistics matter, and that those situations do exist (particularly if you are targeted, say a domestic situation gone awry, etc where the attacker is more dedicated). I see no compelling reason to carry a rim fire unless physical limitations demand it of you.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    I cut a shallow groove in the underside of the grip and put a piece of stiff wire in with the end folded at about a 30 degree angle below the grip.
    I'll have to steal this idea for my wife's old pocket gun turned my range toy:

I learned a new word in this thread. I thought you had a typo and misspelled efficiency. I had to look it up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I learned a new word in this thread. I thought you had a typo and misspelled efficiency. I had to look it up.
    Pistolforum: for teachers and students of the pistol, and some other stuff.

User Tag List