Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kershaw Emerson durability?

Kershaw Emerson durability?

I got a Kershaw Emerson pocket knife a few weeks ago, and have really liked it. After sharpening it up it's been great, and even in that short period its been used quite a bit. Two nights ago, though, my brother came over and when I handed it to him to show him it it seemingly fell apart in his hands. The 3 screws/fasteners that fix the scales(?) to the frame were missing. I checked my pocket and the last few places I had used it with no luck. It came with 3 extra screws, but they only fit the clip. Anyways, I like it and am considering just replacing it, but if these are known for having issues like this, then I won't bother and will check out other options. Anyone have any opinions on them, good or bad?

I haven't used those models specifically, but I have had a few other Kershaw and Zero Tolerance knives with only minor issues.

I've had great experiences with their warranty service though. One of the ZTs had what I considered slightly less than optional contact on the lock out of the box. This was a low serial number on a limited number release and they replaced everything but the blade so that I could keep the low # without me even asking. I didn't really care since I bought it as a user, but the thought was still nice.

The second time I wanted to switch the pocket clip to left side carry and the screws that were currently attaching the clip in the frame lock side were too short to fit through the g10 side. They had replacement screws out to me within a few days and included an extra clip as well.

I'd suggest hitting them up and see what they'll do for you. I'd imagine they'll either send you what you need or you can send the parts you have to them and they'll check everything out, fix it, and send it back to you sharpened.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Call Kershaw for warranty service - they're pretty cool in my experience.

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/warranty

Blue Loctite is your friend on any equipment with screws.

That was one benefit to the old style Spyderco Clipits and Cold Steel Voyagers - no screws to come loose.
    Last edited by Clay; 04-10-2017 at 08:34 PM.

The Kershaw Emerson CQC-5k is the best cheap knife I've found. I have two, and each of my daughters has one. The wave is pretty good, and the knife handles well in a conventional grip--or tip down, edge in, SouthNarc style.

I did have some loosening of the clip screws, so I blue Locktited them on all of mine. Never had a problem with the scales though.

FYI this knife is on sale for $20 at KnifeCenter.com

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-10-2017 at 10:37 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Any pocket knife you get (or anything you might need to depend on) requires the checking of screws and possibly using purple loctite (just a bit) to help secure the screws. Little bit of preventative maintenance goes a long way.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Thanks everyone. The one that Clusterfrack posted is the same one I have. It says they won't send replacement parts to the knives made in China. So its either down to sending it back and waiting a few weeks or returning it to wherever I got it on Amazon and getting another one. I just didn't know whether to try replacing it or get something new, but I'll get a new one and loctite it and all that this time. Thanks again guys

Kershaw Emerson durability?

For $25 I've not found a better knife and the one I have puts Emersons to shame. Friends have them for work (construction) and they're tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by orionz06; 04-11-2017 at 08:17 AM.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    "For $25 I've not found a better knife and the one I have puts Emersons to shame. Friends have them for work (construction) and they're tanks."

What knife Orion-Brand, model etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    "For $25 I've not found a better knife and the one I have puts Emersons to shame. Friends have them for work (construction) and they're tanks."

What knife Orion-Brand, model etc.?
    The CQC-6K in specific. They're listed for $21 right now too.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

...and they make a really nice, high quality inexpensive wave trainer to match.

Last edited by taadski; 04-11-2017 at 11:08 AM.

User Tag List