Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol Whipping 101 - Case Study

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Wyatt Earp is said to have used that term to describe it; I have no idea if he was the originator.
    Yes, I recall it being attributed to Wyatt Earp, though I cannot recall the author who wrote the account. It was not used in either of the two best-known Earp "bio-pics." If I recall correctly, Wyatt Earp did tend to use a sixgun as a striking weapon.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-11-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Site Supporter
    Most of my firearms striking training was performed in a an "out of the holster" attempted disarm context. Muzzle stamp to the face was emphasized. Making sure the pistol's mag was seated and slide fully forward after the fur ball was also stressed. The same block if instruction also included the subtle nuances of the contact shot as a plan B.

Part of this issue I saw in the video was the typical "Agency/academy/lawyer approved" strikes that he eventually used, and were completely ineffective (as they usually are). Sadly police are allowed to get punched in the face repeatedly,hit with bottles/rocks/bricks or even choked, but God Forbid they use any truly effective technique against their attacker (BTDT). The slide slap looked like it worked like a charm.

Back in the 90s, I worked a town where the main feature was a Mexican Labor Camp. It was a very violent place. Having minimal training, I did whatever it took to win, including using my 1911 as a blunt instrument. It ends up that a sharp front sight will absolutely lay open a forehead. The steel of a 1911 magwell applied upside the temple will knock even the most vicious drunk/meth-head senseless, long enough to cuff them.

It seemed that during the summer, not a week/weekend would go by that you weren't rolling with someone, and the taste of my own blood in my mouth became too familiar. Sometimes on weekends that were hopping, multiple fights a night could, and did occur. I was immensely relieved to leave that place.

In retrospect, knowing what I know now, more of those guys should have been shot, due to their level of violence.

God watches out after many a young patrolman.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    From Greg Ellifritz via his Active Response Training newsletter.

http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...se+Training%29

Greg offers both caution about using the pistol for this purpose but he also offers a couple pointers if one must; and breaks down the details of this incident.
    Excellent link and site. Thanks for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Yes, I recall it being attributed to Wyatt Earp, though I cannot recall the author who wrote the account. It was not used in either of the two best-known Earp "bio-pics." If I recall correctly, Wyatt Earp did tend to use a sixgun as a striking weapon.
    Yeah, the leverage with that 10.5 inch barrel Peacemaker that Earp is said to have carried would pack a hell of a hit. Certainly it wouldn't be a 'fast draw' type weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Part of this issue I saw in the video was the typical "Agency/academy/lawyer approved" strikes that he eventually used, and were completely ineffective (as they usually are). Sadly police are allowed to get punched in the face repeatedly,hit with bottles/rocks/bricks or even choked, but God Forbid they use any truly effective technique against their attacker (BTDT). The slide slap looked like it worked like a charm.

Back in the 90s, I worked a town where the main feature was a Mexican Labor Camp. It was a very violent place. Having minimal training, I did whatever it took to win, including using my 1911 as a blunt instrument. It ends up that a sharp front sight will absolutely lay open a forehead. The steel of a 1911 magwell applied upside the temple will knock even the most vicious drunk/meth-head senseless, long enough to cuff them.

It seemed that during the summer, not a week/weekend would go by that you weren't rolling with someone, and the taste of my own blood in my mouth became too familiar. Sometimes on weekends that were hopping, multiple fights a night could, and did occur. I was immensely relieved to leave that place.

In retrospect, knowing what I know now, more of those guys should have been shot, due to their level of violence.

God watches out after many a young patrolman.
    If police took the actions they probably should take each time they should take it, they'd spend their careers in a constant state of endless reviews and investigations. I don't get why police are expected to grapple with anyone turning violent rather than put the sucker down immediately by whatever force necessary. I guess license to 'shoot first figure it out later' wouldn't work but that officer in the video could just as easily have been killed or have permanent injury. I mean, if the burglar had been shot, it would have been because he chose to be in, and escalate a situation entirely of his own creation. I guess I'm simply too old to get this 'furry mittens' mentality that seems to be prevalent today.

User Tag List