Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Whipping 101 - Case Study

Pistol Whipping 101 - Case Study

From Greg Ellifritz via his Active Response Training newsletter.

http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...se+Training%29

Greg offers both caution about using the pistol for this purpose but he also offers a couple pointers if one must; and breaks down the details of this incident.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Love Greg's stuff.

I think with the poke one is supposed to wrap the trigger finger under the trigger guard. They outta mention that.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I posted this video in the LE UOF thread... I am not an LEO but if I was magically in the officer's shoes, I would have shot him instead of pistol-whipping him. Seems like he could have easily lost control of his gun had that been poorly executed.

Subscribed to this one; good topic.

This was the classic old-school "buffalo-ing" with the side of the barrel/slide, like a forehand swing with a racquet, if I saw it correctly. No, not something taught in any academy, at least these days, of course. It works best with a heavy-barrel revolver, but a 1911 can do it well enough. I am not recommending it; too easy for an opponent to counter-act. This officer got lucky.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-10-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Love Greg's stuff.
    Indeed, he is an awesome guy. He'll be down here in Texas in June, and I am very much looking forward to it.

Had a co worker who had to pistol whip while on a warrant. Had the Bad guy blocked at the front door and back door. He took a running start and jumped through a window. Landed by one of our perimeter guys.

Now, bad guy is sweaty and bloody and shirtless. And as our guy moves in, bad on the ground on all fours wraps up our guys legs. Our guy tries to re holster, but has a soft leather IWB holster and can't get the gun in. Bad guy starts moving to take down. Our guy can't get grab anything that's not sweaty/bloody or just bare skin. He only has his support hand free. Rather than go down, he proceeds to work that HK upside bad guy's head, repeatedly. The whole situation is less than 10 seconds. That's about how long it took for someone to get to the side of the house.

HK worked, bad guy released our guys legs... of course, it resulted in a hospital trip for bad guy, some internal affairs time for good guy.

I fortunately did not see a thing, as I happened to be chasing the asshole who jumped in a car as soon as we rolled down the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Subscribed to this one; good topic.

This was the classic old-school "buffalo-ing" with the side of the barrel/slide, like a forehand swing with a racquet, if I saw it correctly. No, not something taught in any academy, at least these days, of course. It works best with a heavy-barrel revolver, but a 1911 can do it well enough. I am not recommending it; too easy for an opponent to counter-act. This officer got lucky.
    "buffalo-ing". I've got to search on the genus of that expression. LOL

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I had a question about that a few years ago. Some good info in there.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    "buffalo-ing". I've got to search on the genus of that expression. LOL
    Wyatt Earp is said to have used that term to describe it; I have no idea if he was the originator.

User Tag List