Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dawson Precision Rear Sights

Dawson Precision Rear Sights

I've been running Defoor sights on my G19 for a little bit and I think at this point I'm ready to give a set of fiber optic sights a fair shake. I have a Dawson Fiber front sight for my SP2022, but I'm not down for buying and shooting a bunch of .40S&W when I typically stock and shoot 9mm. I really like the Dawson fiber front, so I figured I'd just go with a set from Dawson.

The main question I have is what do you guys prefer from Dawson for a rear sight profile? Competition, Carry, or Charger? Does anyone have any experience with the default dimensions of the sights (.125" - .135" rear / .105" front)? It sounds like the Competition rear has a deeper notch than the other two rears, is this true?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I like competition.

For $10 they will build you exactly what you spec out yourself.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I like competition.

For $10 they will build you exactly what you spec out yourself.
    Why do you like the Competition rear?

Yeah, I know I can have the custom spec'd, but I'm not necessarily afraid to try something slightly new. I am kinda used to .115" front/.150" rear though as per the Defoor sights.

For me the Defoor sight dimensions are "looser" than I prefer. I'd try the Dawson default and see how you like them.

FWIW, my favorite dimensions are either a .090 wide front in a .115 rear notch OR a .100 wide front in a .125 rear notch. Mine are all charger rears.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post

Yeah, I know I can have the custom spec'd, but I'm not necessarily afraid to try something slightly new. I am kinda used to .115" front/.150" rear though as per the Defoor sights.

I just went through this last week. I have been using Defoors exclusively, but purchased a gun that had the Dawson competitions already installed. I really liked them and ordered Chargers for a couple other guns. I was unaware that the Charger had a different depth than the Competition rear, but I personally like the ability to rack it with the sight. I love the .135/.105 sight picture on the current competition set I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I just went through this last week. I have been using Defoors exclusively, but purchased a gun that had the Dawson competitions already installed. I really liked them and ordered Chargers for a couple other guns. I was unaware that the Charger had a different depth than the Competition rear, but I personally like the ability to rack it with the sight. I love the .135/.105 sight picture on the current competition set I have.
    If you compare them side-by-side do you see a depth difference? Possible to measure that?

Not too worried about specifically having the chargers for one-handed manipulations. They're not a necessity.

I can see fine and what I need to see to make the shots I want is better facilitated with minimal light bars. On my tanfo I ran an even tighter sight picture and smaller front sight.

Sights are so individual it's like asking somebody to pick you a wife out.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I can see fine and what I need to see to make the shots I want is better facilitated with minimal light bars. On my tanfo I ran an even tighter sight picture and smaller front sight.

Sights are so individual it's like asking somebody to pick you a wife out.
    I was asking your preference more for the profile itself and not necessarily the notch/front sight width preference. My understanding is, from a sight picture perspective, the only difference between the Carry and the Competition rear is that the Competition has a deeper notch. I'm trying to confirm that.

I'm fully aware that the widths of the notch and front sight can be ordered custom and I totally agree that it's VERY personal to the shooter.

Hammertime
    If you compare them side-by-side do you see a depth difference? Possible to measure that?

Not too worried about specifically having the chargers for one-handed manipulations. They're not a necessity.

I don't have them yet but will measure when they come in. All I have are Competitions currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I don't have them yet but will measure when they come in. All I have are Competitions currently.
    If you measure the depth of the competition. I can measure the same on a carry/charger.

User Tag List