Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A 5906

A 5906

What seems so long ago, I purchased a new Gen 1 S&W 5906 with the intention of having my wife get interested in pistol shooting. She shot it a few times and that has been the extent of her shooting interests.

The pistol out-of-the-box was a disappointment: ejection was feeble, accuracy poor and the DA trigger pull was heavy and gritty. I contemplated dumping it not long after purchasing but decided to send it back to S&W with the list of my complaints and expressed that as a competitive shooter, my dismay on how they could let something this bad out the door.

About a month later the pistol came back. Based on the serial number it was certainly the same 5906 I sent them. Their list of work included a new barrel, adjust extractor/ejector and polish the trigger group. Though not stated on their paperwork, it seems it made a visit to their custom shop for the attention it needed: the DA pull is smooth as my tuned K-frames, SA pull crisp, the ejection strong and if I did my part, could print some mighty small groups. To say I was impressed would be an understatement.

The pistol didn't get much use over the next 15+ years and remained a nicely-tuned safe queen. Then in 2011 I had an opportunity to attend a Rob Pincus training here in NH and for grins and giggles, decided I would pull it out the safe and use it for the class. Before going to the class, I sent the slide to have a set of Chip McCormick night sights installed, the same style the Gen 2 models were available with. Other than Rob making comments about "they guy using a DA/SA pistol" (everyone else was using striker fired or a 1911) the old 5906 acquitted itself well and I was pleased with the learning experience. After a thorough cleaning, it went back into my storage safe.

There's something about this well-tuned, all metal pistol that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Compared to my G17 and PPS, the trigger pull (especially SA) is amazing - and it shoots better than both of them. After all of these years it's still in pristine condition and brings a smile to my face when ever I dig it out. I'm glad I decided to keep it.

A few photos from this morning of this gorgeous safe queen;

Very nice. We were issued 6906's back in the early to mid 90's prior to the outfit switching over to Glocks. I tended to shoot better qualification scores with the S&W. Your post makes me feel a little nostalgic.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Banned
    CSPD issued the 5906 at least from 1992 (when I got here) to 2010(ish) when they switched to M&P9s. Every cop I know who carried a 5906 loved it.

ETA Lest this post give anyone the wrong impression I am not a police officer.
    Last edited by Cypher; 04-09-2017 at 10:24 AM.

People who only know Glocks, don't know what a good trigger is!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    CSPD issued the 5906 at least from 1992 (when I got here) to 2010(ish) when they switched to M&P9s. Every cop I know who carried a 5906 loved it.

ETA Lest this post give anyone the wrong impression I am not a police officer.
    More likely they loved shooting it. Carrying it all day is another matter.

The aluminum frame was a key part of the popularity of the P226 and Beretta 92 vs. the S&W.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-09-2017 at 12:49 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    This doesn't help a guy continue resisting a Cabela's 5946.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    This doesn't help a guy continue resisting a Cabela's 5946.
    Here is the cousin to the 5946, the .40 S&W 4046. These were LEM before LEM was cool.

Vending Machine Operator
    These are some of the best-preserved Steel-frame Smiths I've ever seen posted. Beautiful.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Now I has sad, because I didn't buy that pristine 5906 last year. Sigh. What pretty pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    More likely they loved shooting it. Carrying it all day is another matter.
    Yup.

5906 with empty mag = 37.2 ounces

G17C with empty mag and an APL w/battery = 27.8 ounces

PPS with empty 8-round mag = 21.6 ounces

The 5906 is very pleasant to shoot, but I couldn't carry AIWB (my pants would probably fall down). ;-/

User Tag List