Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Your Stove Is In Flames! What Do You Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    That said, your priority should be exiting the vehicle, not trying to fight the fire (which won't start in the passenger compartment) with a tiny extinguisher. Also, you'd be breathing smoke and dry chem if you empty the extinguisher inside a closed car.
    This is what I was thinking. I can't think of a scenario, with my current lifestyle, where I would be in a car where I'd be able to access a fire extinguisher and deploy it faster than I'd be able to just get out of the car. Possibly, if I had a van, and three or four kids strapped into child safety seats deep in the back, but I think I'd still probably evacuate the crew before trying to put out the fire.

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Awesome thread.

One item I haven't seen mentioned - better to position an extinguisher next to the door than inside the room. That way, you're less likely to have to move past the fire to get to the extinguisher. Realized this when I was figuring out where to put an extinguisher in the workshop to service the reloading bench...

Finally getting around to getting fire extinguishers, so apologies for a necropost. Upon doing some googling found the following link from the Amerex site. No disrespect meant to any of the fire and safety professionals in the thread who have recommended otherwise, and all of your advice has been valuable in kicking off my education in this space.

They explicitly recommended that customers to NOT turn the extinguisher upside down, hit it with a rubber mallet, or otherwise shake or fluff the chemicals. There is an exception for cartridge operated extinguishers when they’re pressurized, but that’s probably not relevant to the end user unless they’re charging their own canisters.

The recommendation for checking/maintaining equipment was as follows:
    -REMOVE the hose and nozzle assembly to confirm that it is clear and without blockage.
    -Conduct a THOROUGH external examination of the extinguisher shell to make sure there is no damage (this may require CLEANING the extinguisher to observe what is under the dirt).
    -Check ALL of the external components for damage/abuse and other conditions – such as mud, dirt or dust building up under the operating levers. Remove all unnecessary tags and labels.
    -Go to NFPA 10 for a full list of the requirements and suggestions as well as the manufacturer’s manual.
    Not mentioned in this list, but obviously check the gauge if you have one

In line with what others have said here and on another thread on smoke detectors, it sounds like it may be a good idea to do monthly maintenance on extinguishers, and function checks for smoke detectors and CO monitors all at the same time. The life of those monitors also closely lines up with the life of an extinguisher - 10 years for the smoke detectors and 5 years for CO monitors. The recommendation appears to be 12 years for non-rechargeable extinguishers, or inspections every 6 years for rechargeable. I'm thinking it would be easiest to do a full change out every 10 years for the smoke detectors and non-rechargeable extinguishers, with CO monitors and service checks on rechargeable extinguishers every 5.
    Last edited by scw2; 07-24-2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: fixed inspection and replacement times

Several years ago, my now-wife wanted to grill one of her signature dishes for my folks on their outdoor island grill. We were doing buttered shrimp and asparagus wrapped in bacon, all on aluminum foil sheets so it didn't burn or drip too much down into the gas flames. While my wife took the cooked food in and before turning off the grill I used tongs to pick up the aluminum foil. All of the pooled butter and bacon drippings poured off the foil and onto the burners and flamed four feet up into the air. "Get a fire extinguisher!" I yelled to my brother. I can still see him running with the extinguisher under his arm like Earl Campbell breaking through a defensive line, to my heightened senses appearing to move in slow motion. He tossed me the extinguisher, I tore off the safety wire and heroically put out the fire and ruined the grill at the same time.

My now-wife came to the door and saw me standing there, triumphant over the living beast that is a grease fire, and asked, "Why didn't you just close the lid?"

I guess I'm not completely sure what the moral of this story is but I'm going to go with "fire extinguishers are bad."

I pulled mine out from the wall using the door, unplugged it, and hosed the fucker down. This was 3-4 weeks ago. It was honestly rather uneventful and almost as if I'd done it several times already. Thankfully insurance took care of it all. I did however lose some cool new stuff I have been working on so there is that.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Your Stove Is In Flames! What Do You Do?

Grab the ever-ready and charged-up kitchen fire extinguisher 2 yards away.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List