Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Stove Is In Flames! What Do You Do?

Your Stove Is In Flames! What Do You Do?

"Wife! The stove is on fire- Quick, put it out!" My wife gave me a strange look. "The stove is on fire. Move quickly before it spreads!" She stares, frozen on the couch as she tries to figure out what I'm telling her. Suddenly, comprehension dawns and jumps up off the couch and goes to the kitchen. "What do you do first? Hurry, do something!"

"I reach over and turn off the burners." She starts reaching for the knobs.

"Stop! The flames are too hot. You'll burn your arms!"

"Where is the baking soda?", she asks me.

"I don't know. I don't think we have any." She shakes her hands in frustration as panic starts to set in. Then, I see her training start to take over. She's the Head Crew Trainer at McDonald's.

"Where's the fire extinguisher?" She asks. "Where is the fire extinguisher?" Her eyes sweep the kitchen. Finally, they settle on the red canister that's been sitting on the counter for the past year and a half. She grabs it up and aims the nozzle at the stove top and grins. "How'd I do?" she asked. The fire was imaginary. It was a drill, something that took her completely by surprise and something we've never done before. Not bad, considering the circumstances. Not good enough, if it had been a real fire. We both have work to do.

On this site, we spend a lot of time discussing issues, tactics and gear for carrying a concealed weapon and for defending our homes. But, as a friend often brings up, rightfully so, during these discussions, is the fact little time is spent discussing fire extinguishers. "How many proponents of CCW have fire extinguishers in their homes? In their vehicles?"

The reality is, the average American is far more likely to face loss of property, life and limb from fire than they are from random violence. I would bet, the general population is poorly equipped and trained to deal with sudden fires. A few years ago, my wife and I were victims of the all too typical kitchen fire when a pot of oil erupted into flames. Luckily, Fawn quickly found some baking powder and extinguished it, but not before there was a significant amount of smoke damage throughout the place, upstairs and downstairs. Looking at the damage later, it was chilling to realize that if Fawn hadn't acted as quickly and decisively as she did, the flames would have spread and burned the building to the ground. We now keep a fire extinguisher in our home.

What brought this up was stumbling across a video in which fire extinguishers are tested by a woman who is not a fire fighter or someone who is well trained or informed about their operation or use. She brings up points I hadn't thought about before.

If the security of our persons and our homes is important, it's even more important to ensure we have the means and the mindset to fight a fire. If you don't have a fire extinguisher, get one. Get at least two, in case the first one runs out. Take time to familiarize yourself with it's operation and how to use it effectively. Learn how to weigh and inspect your extinguishers. Train your children in what to do. If you can arrange it, actually fire off an extinguisher.

Get an extinguisher for your car. If your car catches fire, you may need the extinguisher to get out before getting trapped by the flames.

Here is the video. It raises some good points. I'm no expert on the subject. I ask that those who are, those with training and experience, please enlighten us.

Thanks

We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I have a big ass one in the garage in case someone flamethrowers my stuff
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

So....whats a good model to get for home and auto. Im clueless. I two at home I bought from costco.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Not an expert, but when I was Director of Maintenance, I was responsible for the extinguishers in our helicopters and the hangar. Utah Fire Equipment Company highly recommended AMEREX and Kidde also got good ratings.

Several place I've worked had AMEREX extinguishers
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    So....whats a good model to get for home and auto. Im clueless. I two at home I bought from costco.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    I'd recommend at a minimum a 2a10bc extinguisher. That's what's required for all commercial buildings. Most people have the tiny 1a5bc extinguishers and they aren't going to put out much fire.

What do the numbers and letters mean? 2a means it's the equivalent to 2 gallons of water. The letters are for different types of fires. The main four types are A,B,,C and K. There's also a class D but you're not going to need it in your house. 10bc means it can put out a fire of ten square feet of class b&c type fires.

You don't want to use an extinguisher that's made for the type of fire. It's not a one size fits all solution.

One of the most common misconceptions that we see are people throwing powder and stuff on the fire. The biggest being flour. A few weeks ago we had a grease fire and the lady threw a bunch of flour on it and it flashed and caused burns to her back.

What we recommend for people with and without extinguishers is keeping a cookie sheet or baking pan that's bigger than the pan on the counter anytime your cooking. If it flashes or gets out of control you just slide the sheet over the pan and it smothers the fire.

I can say that people have no freakin idea what to do when the moment happens. The extinguisher is 3 feet away and instead they grab a cup of water or flour. They'll try and grab the pan to take it outside and spill it catching their living room on fire.

Kitchens are far and away the #1 cause of house fires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Your Stove Is In Flames! What Do You Do?

Good thread.

I just looked at what we have here in the trailer. It's a First Alert 5-B:C.

Couple questions?

Do these have an expiration? My RV was made July 15, so I'm guessing it's original.

I'm thinking of getting at least two more. Is a 5-B:C ok for auto use too?
    Last edited by RJ; 04-08-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    So, embarrassing story. A few months ago I decided to spend a few hundred dollars getting my car completely emergency-ready since I do road trips, backpacking, etc. Loaded it with firestarting equipment, blankets, knives, flashlights, auto supplies, a small fire extinguisher, all meticulously researched.

A few weeks ago, my stove caught on fire. Piece of paper (receipt or something) managed to flit under the burner from the counter, likely when the door was opened. I realized in the moment where my stove was wreathed in flame that I had purchased a superb extinguisher for my car, but DID NOT HAVE ONE FOR MY HOUSE. Luckily I was able to use a pot lid to extinguish it.

Extra supplement to embarrassing story: I still had not ordered one until I saw this thread and remembered.

So yeah, finally ordered a basic household "Kidde Pro 210" ABC for $40 on Amazon. I could go fancier but I have a tiny apartment and no children and nothing that valuable, so this seems like an effective cost/risk analysis.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 04-08-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

in home YES Not in car, the insurance will cover it. We had a wood stove for years so have multiple extinguishers and also in the shed. When the kids were younger I light shit on fire and let them practice putting it out in case of emergency.

Fire emergency as well as stranger danger as well as break ins bumps in the night ..... were discussed with various scenarios played out
    Last edited by BJXDS; 04-08-2017 at 04:27 PM.

I've got three in my house. One in the kitchen, one in the entry hall, and one in the hall by the bedroom.

The extinguisher in the vehicle isn't to save the vehicle. It's to buy you time getting everyone out before they get burned.

I just looked at the classification of my ABC extinguisher. It's 3-A:40-B:C. I didn't know about this information until 1776United brought it up.

Did a brief search about fire types. I didn't know about Class K fires, which is cooking oils & fats. The information states that dry chemical extinguishers are not suited for Class K fires, but it says a problem primarily for commercial kitchens. I'm wondering if I should get Class K extinguishers for our home kitchens. Seems I raised more questions than I answered. Clearly, I don't know what I don't know

User Tag List