Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ameriglo Spaulding sights shooting high

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Maier View Post
    The mark on the right side of the stock sight matters. This may help:

http://eu.glock.com/english/options_rearsight.htm
    The mark was on the front sight. It doesn't appear that is anything but a scratch or nick. The rear sight has no markings on it so I assume it is the standard 6.5 mm height rear sight. I added the info in my earlier post probably while you were posting. Thanks for the info. Since so many people shoot Glocks and change from stock Glock plastic sights I hope this helps others in the future figure out what to use.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Update:

I just got out my gun, sight tools,calipers and old sights from my Glock 23 that I had replaced with the HD sights. I pulled the rear sight (Spaulding) from the Gen 4 19 and measured it. It measures .26" at the high point from bottom of the dovetail to top of the sight on the edge right near the notch. The old Trijicon 3 dot night sights removed from my 23 measure .23" at the same point. I took several measurements to ensure it was repeatable and they all came back .26-.27 for the Spaulding rear and .23 each time for the Trijicon. I don't know if that is enough to be print 5" high at 25 yards but it would indicate higher hits with a taller rear correct?

The front sights appear to be the same height between the Spaulding and the Trijicon 3 dot night sight but I don't want to pull the Spaulding front if I can find a solution that keeps it for free. I will try and get out to shoot soon and see what the results are. I will take the sights (new and old as well as a brand new set of Meprolight and Trijicon 3 dot night sights I have and change sights at the range if need be.

ETA Glock uses different height rear sights to adjust a +0 is 6.5mm tall and a +1 is 6.9mm tall so it appears the mark on the front sight is just a nick or gate mark.
    I'll post the results. Does anyone know how to determine if the stock Glock plastic sights are normal height or if they put different height plastic sights on from the factory how to tell which is what I had on mine stock? There are no letters or numbers on the sights but there is a nick,injection molding gate mark or possibly a "D" on the right side of the plastic front sight. Very tiny so even with reading glasses and a magnifying glass and a flashlight I can only guess it is a D if it isn't just a nick.
    A difference of 0.03" will give you exactly a 5" change at 25 yards. The formula for divining how much sight change you need is this:

Sight Radius X Error/Range = Amount of adjustment needed

So in your instance we have Sight Radius of ~6" on a Glock 19. The range is 900 inches (25 yards, but you must keep units the same). Your error is 5" above POA.

Therefore: 6" X 5" = 30; 30/900 = 0.03"

Your measurements confirmed what you already knew. You need a front sight 0.03" taller or a rear sight that much shorter. Don't know if Ameriglo makes a taller front sight, but they may have a shorter rear.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 04-10-2017 at 08:59 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Thanks Wayne. The Ameriglo sight calculator tool is easy to use but the formula you posted makes it useful for all in case their gun isn't in the Ameriglo system.

Update:

I just got home from the range. The Spaulding front and Trijicon 3 dot rear night sight set up works well and shoot POA POI at 7 yards and 25 yards. The trijicon rear sight is shorter than the Spaulding rear sight by approx .03" and thus lowered the group approx 5" from where it was before.

I was looking for a clean rear sight and hi vis front set up but I am happy enough with this set up to stick with it for now and it gives rear tritium illumination as well as the dots are dimmer( they are probably close to 10 years old) than the new front sight dot.

I shot 50 rounds at 7 and 25 yards about evenly split in 5 shot groups. Dialed in the rear site at 7 then a minor adjustment to get it perfect at 25. I even shot a 5 shot group at 25 yards of just a hair over 3" and a few others between that and 6" max even with flyers. I am now a happy camper with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Update:

I just got home from the range. The Spaulding front and Trijicon 3 dot rear night sight set up works well and shoot POA POI at 7 yards and 25 yards. The trijicon rear sight is shorter than the Spaulding rear sight by approx .03" and thus lowered the group approx 5" from where it was before.

I was looking for a clean rear sight and hi vis front set up but I am happy enough with this set up to stick with it for now and it gives rear tritium illumination as well as the dots are dimmer( they are probably close to 10 years old) than the new front sight dot.

I shot 50 rounds at 7 and 25 yards about evenly split in 5 shot groups. Dialed in the rear site at 7 then a minor adjustment to get it perfect at 25. I even shot a 5 shot group at 25 yards of just a hair over 3" and a few others between that and 6" max even with flyers. I am now a happy camper with the gun.
    Good to hear you got it where you want. Seems Ameriglo should swap the rear sights if you asked.

User Tag List