Thread: This weekend in San Antonio - April 8,9

Site Supporter

This weekend in San Antonio - April 8,9

Tomorrow is a steel day at the Bandera Gun Club. I'll shoot a Glock 17 stock as I have it.

Sunday is BUG day with Eric at Cedar Ridge. Glock 42!

I will try to be at both.

Last week's carbine match - I pack up all the gear and that night wake up with the indescribable disease described as revenge. Haul all the gear back in when recovered.

The week before for a USPSA match - Out of town. Get home at 2:00 AM. Alarm goes off at 7:00 for match. Shooter sleeping, buzz, assume head under pillow position.

This weekend - I'm out of here!! Bang, bang.

Site Supporter
    Some comments.

The steel match was a great deal of fun. Pretty standard and challenging in some aspects. The 18 yard, 10 inch plates took some effort to hit but I could. The most interesting stage was Pendulum. For some reason the 10 inch plate on the right was the one that kicked people's butt. Why? Who knows - its stick was full of holes. If you had told us to just shoot as the stick, we would have probably missed it but folks poured lead into.

One person truly did not have my respect. He would draw and shoot the stop plate and not attempt any of the Pendulum targets. I suppose he figured that was his way to get the 'best' time as compared to missing the far targets. I was told that this was not a penalty in steel - BS, IMHO. Most of us could hit the plates reasonable well. Bah. For me shooting sports are skills test, not gaming tests.

I shot my Glock stock 17. Worked just fine with my skill set. The neat guns were the 22 LRs - Buck Rogers like semis, one really sweet SW 617 with a RDS. One of our guys, nationally known champ type - but a nice guy, would get through a stage with his 22 in 2 seconds sometimes.

The class error for most (besides just missing) was to blaze through the targets and miss the stop plate!! Common, I'm told.

---

The Short range match - I've describe this before and it is still a blast. I shot a G42. My view of this match is to shoot a close up gun in scenarios that Eric bases on videos of real gun fights. My thoughts on performance.

1. Got to concentrate on the grip, if I don't - I will shoot to the right (I'm lefty) as I don't get a standard grip on the small gun. It's correctable but that mistake is there.

2. G42s - still can be funky. I have about 6 mags. However, one would fail to rack and the slide wouldn't budge if you tried to pull the slide back. Now, if you locked the slide back and inserted that mag, the round would chamber. I have to explore that mag more. Otherwise, the gun ran just fine.

3. Eric had a great stage where besides the usual 2 shot bad guys, there was a suicide bomber at 15 yards. You got one shot to take him out in the noggin. If you got the head anywhere, no points down. If you got the shot into a small critical area in the head region, you got 5 points off your score. If you missed, you got +10. Most folks, including me, hit the head for zero down. A few missed and were theoretically blown up. Not the easiest show with a 42. Previously, I made the same type of shot with a 642. Yeah, but why then do you miss the easy ones. Haha! It's concentration and speed vs. accuracy.

4. Equipment fails - saw one guy truly struggle with a Serpa draw. One time, it took about 3 attempts to free the gun.

Another guy had a souped up, USPSA Glock with a red dot and a big old compensator on the front of the barrel. Shot from some competition Robotech holster. That's nice, except his hand loads jammed the gun up solid quite a few times. IMHO, this match is for carry guns and bring an competition rig and superduper RDS, negates the point. I shoot a reasonable carry option. I was the only guy in my squad shooting a BUG type. There were quite a few G19s, M & Ps and XDs. Now I carry my 19, so I don't mind that. I would say to folks who shoot this match to ditch the competition mindset and go for practical utility experience.

1911 - draw - oops, forget to take the safety off. Saw that a bit. That's for our ever popular safeties will get you killed on the street.

Conclusion - I like to mix up matches and guns. I like to test skills and practice with different ones that might come to hand when the zombies arise.

Site Supporter
    "Struggling" to free a gun from a SERPA is often a prelude to a ND / GSW.

Can you PM me the contact to get on the E mail list for the BUG match.

Side note- I was at Cedar ridge this afternoon "working" with my 17 MOS and DP PRO. I am really digging the red dot for distance.

Site Supporter
    shortrangematch@gmail.com https://www.sensibleselfdefense.com/category-s/1836.htm

No reason to PM it. The more the merrier, I would think.

Just got the scores. So - with 21 shooters, I'm about 11th with points down (with a G42). However, with times - I'm dead last as I have several reloads as compared to folks shooting guns with much higher capacity. One person I overheard said he liked to shoot where he didn't have to do too many reloads (as with IDPA rules as compared to some USPSA divisions). I don't know about that - I think practicing quick and error free reloads are a good thing.

Another thing - the G42 doesn't like to drop a mag when empty. Got to get it out by hand. One fellow suggested get a heavier base plate. I dunno. It's a pocket BUG for me and usually not carried with a reload as my regular carry Glock has that. I guess I fail the warrior test for not having a BUG reload.

Serpas scare me. At one IDPA match, the SO basically grabbed a new shooter who was truly struggling to free the gun. It looked like a ND was likely. A LEO friend who is very accomplished was trying one out as his department was thinking about it and had troubles. He hated it.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 04-09-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    IDPA yesterday. Shot my 1911. I shot good but slow, mostly 0's and 1's. One target was a three - horrors. Nuances, for grins we had three drill set up targets that we had to shoot gangster style. Got all zeros but I had a jam that screwed the time. I think I didn't get a good grip on the sidewise gun. I know this as the gun really slammed by hand, which it normally doesn't. Duh.

Funny story - we were discussing upcoming carbine. One SO told me that they had a guy shooting an AK. It was a transition stage, shoot the rounds in the rifle, switch to handgun. The guy throws his AK fifteen feet away before going for the handgun. When asked why - he said that an instructor in a tactical class told him to do that when your gun was out of action and you transitioned.

User Tag List