Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've just discovered the advantages of steel targets.

I've just discovered the advantages of steel targets.

I just hooked up with a range with steel targets. I LOVE them, not because of the "gratification" of the ding, but because at distances where you can't see the results of your shot you can hear whether you are on the money or not. I like to warm up on a series of close ones at around 7 meters. As many of you know I'm sort of paranoid about lead because I have somewhat elevated levels. Am I going to be creating a dangerous "spray" of lead particles working with steel targets that are in the 7-20 meter range? Does anyone have an idea how far the particles "recoil" back off the the target.

I've seen them put a nasty cut on the bridge of a guy's nose at over 10 yards. At the range I frequent we can't set up steel targets closer than 10 yards.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

10 yards is the limit for us too, but you will still get hit once in a while....it will teach you to keep your mouth closed, swear I nearly lost a tooth once. The up side to steel is no pasting, the down side is paying more attention to the target to know if you hit it or not. And if you're shooting rapidly the report of the weapon and the sound of the steel all go together and I can't tell what's what, particularly closer in.

Quote Originally Posted by MEH View Post
    I've seen them put a nasty cut on the bridge of a guy's nose at over 10 yards. At the range I frequent we can't set up steel targets closer than 10 yards.
    These are small 4-6" circular (some rectangular) hanging targets. The shots themselves appear to be deflected downwards or sideways.
    Last edited by nternal; 05-19-2012 at 07:52 PM.

There are a lot of variables to consider. First, is the steel AR-500 rated and is the surface clean of any imperfections? Second, are the plates angled down or at least have a high degree of free movement? Also, what kind of ammo are you shooting - JHP's tend to send back a bit more jacket in my experience.

If you are shooting pistol rounds on unblemished AR-500 and the targets are angled down or move freely - then you can get away with a lot. The second the surface is blemished or the plate can't move, it gets dicey.

If you're shooting at a distance which has not given you problems before, I would tend to feel safe there until shown otherwise.

Twice now, once with 9mm and once with .45 ACP, I have had part of the bullet (jacket or otherwise) come back and strike me on my body. The velocity was very low and it felt like someone had thrown a hollow plastic ball at me. I was probably standing 5-7 yards away from the target. It was a non-issue for me as I normally don't shoot that close, and I make sure to wear proper PPE while shooting.

I have been using Action Target Evil Roy stands with 6" and 8" circular target heads. They are AR500 steel and they angle forward so when the bullet strikes it bounces downward to the ground. They also rotate on a hinge so they can move when struck.

I agree with John Hearne's sentiments.

I believe the OP is asking about elevating his internal lead levels due to vaporized lead from shooting steel.

In my experience, pistol rounds to not have enough velocity to actually vaporize lead from hitting the steel, rifle velocities are another matter. Pistol bullets just seem to break into lead splatter and jacket shards.

However, when handling the actual steel targets you must take all the precautions that you would when handing lead ammo or cleaning guns. I know my plates, poppers and dueling tree get covered with lead from hits.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    I believe the OP is asking about elevating his internal lead levels due to vaporized lead from shooting steel.

Gringop
    Thanks Gringop,
    That's exactly what I was wondering about.

P.S.

I'm not sure that the lead dust of a shattered bullet is any less of an issue than vaporized lead. It can still be blown back to the firing line.

As far as the lead that will be in the air surrounding you, I don't know. Just make sure that you wash your hands really well. Also, don't put your hands in your mouth or eyes. And just so I can say that I warned you...make sure that if you are shooting steel at a close range that the steel is in good condition. Any imperfections in the steel can cause ricochets to come back at you.

User Tag List