Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lunar Concepts EDC belt?

Question Lunar Concepts EDC belt?

Recently found these guys on instagram.. I've been looking for a decent low profile style nylon belt, but most seem a little "excessive" with the overlapping layers and multiple hook loops. These guys kind of minimalize it a and have it setup so the g-hook falls right into a single layer spot so there's no excessive overlapping of layers. I also like that they have a non-velcro option w/ just an elastic keeper (i have cats and velcro is like instantly filled w/ hair around here). And best of all, the hook will thread through belt loops. They have some nice custom colors & options, and their prices aren't too bad either. The EDC Ally belt i'm referring to is $52. THey have an option to make it "lite" for -$10 ($42) that just uses 1 layer of webbing.

Has anyone here had any experience with these guys? How's the quality and customer service? I can't seem to find much on them on the internet other than their instagram photos and like 1 youtube review.

Edit: link to their site (if that's ok to link to a store): http://lcequipped.com/1-50-everyday-ally/
    Last edited by LesPaul; 04-06-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Non hook/loop? Not a fan.

Also they seem to be similar versions of volund belts. Which is fine but the ghook has an inherent flaw of self destruction. It isn't if it'll wear through the strap, it's when.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Banned
    That looks like a really bulky belt

Looks very similar to a volund g hook belt. I have used a volund g-hook slim every day working outside/construction and casual wear with concealed carry and I haven't had any issues. The volund atlas is cheaper by $2 if that matters. The volund slim is the same price as the atlas, so the lunar would be cheaper. I like the "slimness" of the g hook compared to other buckle designs that print more than a gun. If it were me I'd buy the volund because I know it works. In regards to voodoo's post above, I've had mine for ~4 years of every day use and haven't broken a strap yet. I get what he's saying though, looking at the design it will probably wear through some day.

Here's a link to check out the stiffer atlas. http://store.volundgearworks.com/ind...hook-belt.html

And the slimmer and more flexible slim (the one I bought).
    http://store.volundgearworks.com/ind...ck-buckle.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
    Looks very similar to a volund g hook belt. I have used a volund g-hook slim every day working outside/construction and casual wear with concealed carry and I haven't had any issues. The volund atlas is cheaper by $2 if that matters. The volund slim is the same price as the atlas, so the lunar would be cheaper. I like the "slimness" of the g hook compared to other buckle designs that print more than a gun. If it were me I'd buy the volund because I know it works. In regards to voodoo's post above, I've had mine for ~4 years of every day use and haven't broken a strap yet. I get what he's saying though, looking at the design it will probably wear through some day.

Here's a link to check out the stiffer atlas. http://store.volundgearworks.com/ind...hook-belt.html

And the slimmer and more flexible slim (the one I bought).
    http://store.volundgearworks.com/ind...ck-buckle.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've worn volund belts for years, I did two different reviews on them...

http://www.vdmsr.com/2014/07/volundg...elt-175in.html
    http://www.vdmsr.com/2014/11/volund-...belt-15in.html

With that in mind, they have some pretty obvious design issues which revolve around the g-hook. I understand it works well, but the concept isn't exactly designed for EDC, just like the cobra buckle. I have worn through the strap, one two different belts, both having to be sent back to volund, paying a fee to have it replaced and then I end up selling them both since I don't want to go through that process again.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Non hook/loop? Not a fan.

Also they seem to be similar versions of volund belts. Which is fine but the ghook has an inherent flaw of self destruction. It isn't if it'll wear through the strap, it's when.
    The no elastic (hook & loop) is one of my bigger selling points on this belt. Elastic keeper is not ideal (can be lost, not as secure, etc), but works better for my situation unless i want to spend a lot of time cleaning pet hair out of my belt all the time (i don't). I see your point though... if i didn't have pets i'd likely go velcro for sure.

I think the main difference is how the overlapping layers & the g-hook are setup. The lunar seems to cut off some of the overlap and designed in a way that the g-hook lays in the spot of just a single layer of webbing, so at that spot you only have 2 layers instead of 3, reducing the buckle bulk. I also like how the cleaner look of only have one loop instead of an array of them. I never quite understood that design w/ Volund & SOE g-hook belts.. if you have infinite adjustment via the tail, why do you need extra loops for the g-hook on the other side?

I didn't know that g-hooks like to cut themselves apart.. good to know.

Another belt i've been looking at is the Blue Alpha Gear hybrid EDC.. While i'm not a fan of cobra buckles for EDC, it's a cobra buckle with a small 1" female side, which allows threading through belt loops like a normal belt. Unfortunately they are sold out or still in a kickstarter transition or something. And they're a little more pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by LesPaul View Post
    The no elastic (hook & loop) is one of my bigger selling points on this belt. Elastic keeper is not ideal (can be lost, not as secure, etc), but works better for my situation unless i want to spend a lot of time cleaning pet hair out of my belt all the time (i don't). I see your point though... if i didn't have pets i'd likely go velcro for sure.

I think the main difference is how the overlapping layers & the g-hook are setup. The lunar seems to cut off some of the overlap and designed in a way that the g-hook lays in the spot of just a single layer of webbing, so at that spot you only have 2 layers instead of 3, reducing the buckle bulk. I also like how the cleaner look of only have one loop instead of an array of them. I never quite understood that design w/ Volund & SOE g-hook belts.. if you have infinite adjustment via the tail, why do you need extra loops for the g-hook on the other side?

I didn't know that g-hooks like to cut themselves apart.. good to know.

Another belt i've been looking at is the Blue Alpha Gear hybrid EDC.. While i'm not a fan of cobra buckles for EDC, it's a cobra buckle with a small 1" female side, which allows threading through belt loops like a normal belt. Unfortunately they are sold out or still in a kickstarter transition or something. And they're a little more pricey.
    I have a pretty fluffy ragdoll who sheds like it's her job, as such I have absolutely zero issues with any hook/loop item as once I take it off I re-secure the hook/loop each time, small step makes for a non-mess down the road and prolongs functionality.

The constant theme I see with, not just belt makers, but most sew shops is that they have absolutely zero idea of what works and does not work. They see what everyone else is doing, copy the shit out of them and you see what we get. We get companies that will default to cobra buckles because "it's what people want" or "it's tacticool!" except it is literally the worst belt setup for EDC imaginable. Does it work once setup? Yep. Does it work for people who don't carry anything AIWB? probably. How many of us need a cobra buckle style setup to hang from or whatnot? Not many, if any at all.

It doesn't really matter how big or small the cobra buckle is, its still bigger than it needs to be.
    VDMSR.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    That looks like a really bulky belt
    They have a lite version that uses 1 layer of webbing vs. 2 that's $10 cheaper. Check out the top down photo (i think the 2nd one) if you haven't.. it seems pretty low profile and slim to me. It gives a good shot of how the buckle lays in the "gap" between the actual belt webbing ends.

I've got a Volund G-hook. Multiple loops are helpful if you switch back and forth between OWB and IWB, but I think a single loop is completely workable.

My bigger concern with the elastic band is this: Getting the running end of the belt into a fixed "loop" like the Volund can be obnoxious sometimes - especially when re-belting after a tactical Class VI download and a full load out of gear on the belt (pistol, two mags, flashlight, cuffs, phone, etc). I can only imagine getting the running end into a moving elastic "keeper" will be an unholy PITA.

Or, maybe I'm just more spastic and uncoordinated that usual

The "light" version looks like it might be OK for IWB or AIWB, but I wouldn't plan on carrying an OWB holster on it. I would imagine keeping it from sagging would require you to cinch the belt down into a mid-body tourniquet to keep your pistol in place...

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I have a pretty fluffy ragdoll who sheds like it's her job, as such I have absolutely zero issues with any hook/loop item as once I take it off I re-secure the hook/loop each time, small step makes for a non-mess down the road and prolongs functionality.

The constant theme I see with, not just belt makers, but most sew shops is that they have absolutely zero idea of what works and does not work. They see what everyone else is doing, copy the shit out of them and you see what we get. We get companies that will default to cobra buckles because "it's what people want" or "it's tacticool!" except it is literally the worst belt setup for EDC imaginable. Does it work once setup? Yep. Does it work for people who don't carry anything AIWB? probably. How many of us need a cobra buckle style setup to hang from or whatnot? Not many, if any at all.

It doesn't really matter how big or small the cobra buckle is, its still bigger than it needs to be.

My main experience with velcro is my CPAP gear (sleep apnea machine) and the velcro on that stuff is basically worthless unless i spend time about once a week cleaning all the cat hair out of it. It probably gets more exposure than a belt would, so my concern may be unfounded.

I agree with you on the cobra buckles... while they are kind of a cool novelty, they are big and pointless for an EDC belt. And they raise the price excessively. Blue Alpha Gear also has a polymer slide buckle (sucks it's too big to thread) but it's simple and cheap for a solid belt. Not sure if they sell a "slim version".

Thanks for your input. It's helping me figure out what i want.. you have way more gear experience than i do obviously

User Tag List