Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Running the Sig 226

I'm a month away from starting my 18th year carrying a Sig on duty. Time flies. They've really grown to feel like home over the years. Good pistols.

I have large/extra-large hands and I still have to rock the Sigs in my hand just a touch to decock the pistol with my primary hand thumb. I have to do the same movement to hit the mag release definitively too. The 'flip' movement is virtually identical for both. Unless you're going to switch the mag release to the other side and activate it with your primary index finger (some do this very successfully), you're going to have to learn the 'flip' for hitting the mag release anyway. It can be very well engrained for both tasks, IME.

For smaller handed folks, we simply teach using the support side thumb, like everyone has already mentioned. It's really a non-issue.

Site Supporter
    Where is the best deal on P226 9mm to be found?

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I have a basic question about running a 226. I acquired a 226 Legion sort of by accident and have enjoyed learning about it. I find the trigger, both DA and SA impressive and the gun itself impressively big and heavy.

I find I am unable to activate the decocker with my dominant thumb while holding a firing grip. It is just too far away. I can loosen my grip, rotate the gun a bit and reach it, or I can simply activate it with my non dominant hand, similar to how I have seen many folks drop the slide with a 1911.

Is there a preferred method for this? If I need to I guess I can look into reduced size grips, but I would prefer not to.

Are there any other pearls of wisdom out there for running the 226 from a gun handling perspective?
    Put me down in the decock with my left thumb camp. However, to make sure I'm keeping one-handed shooting covered, I practice both dry and live fire SHO, and flip the gun and use my right hand when I do that. When I shoot WHO I use my trigger finger, but I'll be the first to admit that my WHO shooting has been neglected as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Where is the best deal on P226 9mm to be found?
    If I were going with a new manufacture gun, I'd go with a MK25. Typically anything under 900 is good--this one has a buy it now for $825: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/635909844. I know nothing about the seller and have no connection.

If you're okay with a long extractor, CDNN has E2s available for $769: https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer....html?___SID=U. I personally would pay the extra to get the short extractor, and the MK25 may come with a machined locking block as opposed to an MIM locking block (I know that machined phosphate locking blocks are currently available as a factory part), but I'm guessing that, like a lot of things SIG, it depends on what is available in the bins when they go to put guns together.

I almost never see CPO P226 9mms, and new/lightly used older 9mm P226s tend to command a premium. Carbon slide W. German beaters can be had for the mid-500s, and if you're dedicated to your search, you might come across German frame guns with the one piece milled stainless slide (I've bought two NIB in the last year, an 05 and an 07). However, you'll likely pay for the privilege, and unless you're a collector, you probably won't do too much better (if at all) than shopping around for good prices on new manufacture guns.
    Last edited by Sero Sed Serio; 04-07-2017 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I'm a month away from starting my 18th year carrying a Sig on duty. Time flies. They've really grown to feel like home over the years. Good pistols.

I have large/extra-large hands and I still have to rock the Sigs in my hand just a touch to decock the pistol with my primary hand thumb. I have to do the same movement to hit the mag release definitively too. The 'flip' movement is virtually identical for both. Unless you're going to switch the mag release to the other side and activate it with your primary index finger (some do this very successfully), you're going to have to learn the 'flip' for hitting the mag release anyway. It can be very well engrained for both tasks, IME.

For smaller handed folks, we simply teach using the support side thumb, like everyone has already mentioned. It's really a non-issue.
    Thanks. I don't see any downside to shifting my strong hand grip a bit to use the thumb on the decocker. I've longish fingers and it was a considerable shift but not a big deal.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Thanks. I don't see any downside to shifting my strong hand grip a bit to use the thumb on the decocker. I've longish fingers and it was a considerable shift but not a big deal.
    Same for me. The more you use the gun, the more you learn how to manipulate (move) it for these types of things. From slide lock, I insert a mag, (left side up) and for some reason, I instinctively rotate the gun to (left side down) hit the slide release, then stretch out my right thumb just a bit, so it will reach the decocker, and then I'm in DA, ready to go.

My wife shoots this gun quite well, but with her small hands, she uses the thumb of the support hand to decock the gun; same on her M11 A-1, when running a full mag of DA shots. I think the controls on Sig P-series, are the best out there, they just seem to be in the most logical place. I understand that many people who have shot 1911's most of their life hate them, due to the slide release position being where the TS is on a 1911, which is easy to understand.

Decocking with the strong side (right) thumb isn't a problem at all. As others have said, a slight shift in grip is not an issue. My default method is the support thumb based on my preference to decock coming back to a ready position and that generally means I have both hands on the gun. For me, if I have both hands on the gun, left thumb works a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by jck397 View Post

I almost never see CPO P226 9mms, and new/lightly used older 9mm P226s tend to command a premium.
    Another vendor who often has good prices on used and CPO SIGs is Summit Gun Broker Bought a couple of guns from him and had no problems and was courteous and professional. Also, it's not a bad idea for anyone running SIGs to be on Top Gun Supply's mailing list.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 04-07-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I ran a Sig for several years while working for two "Sig Only" agencies, and I always found the minimal grip compromise to access either the magazine release or slide stop was worth the effort/time over trying to hit anything with my idiotic left thumb. So, if that's what works for you, I think you'd be OK, especially since you're aware of what you're doing, and not flagging the muzzle around like crazy or totally changing your grip while conducting these motions.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I ran a Sig for several years while working for two "Sig Only" agencies, and I always found the minimal grip compromise to access either the magazine release or slide stop was worth the effort/time over trying to hit anything with my idiotic left thumb. So, if that's what works for you, I think you'd be OK, especially since you're aware of what you're doing, and not flagging the muzzle around like crazy or totally changing your grip while conducting these motions.
    So many "instructors" think that one way is the "only way" for everyone. I wish more people understood that the end result is to find what works best for the individual providing the basic rules stay in place.

Once again, thanks for contributing a very valid point.

Try a regular decocker lever instead of the 224 ones they put on the Legion

User Tag List