Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running the Sig 226

Hammertime

Running the Sig 226

I have a basic question about running a 226. I acquired a 226 Legion sort of by accident and have enjoyed learning about it. I find the trigger, both DA and SA impressive and the gun itself impressively big and heavy.

I find I am unable to activate the decocker with my dominant thumb while holding a firing grip. It is just too far away. I can loosen my grip, rotate the gun a bit and reach it, or I can simply activate it with my non dominant hand, similar to how I have seen many folks drop the slide with a 1911.

Is there a preferred method for this? If I need to I guess I can look into reduced size grips, but I would prefer not to.

Are there any other pearls of wisdom out there for running the 226 from a gun handling perspective?
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 04-06-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have a CZ-P07 but have shot DA/SA sigs.

The way I do it is to use my off thumb to decock the gun, unless I just have to use my shooting hand.

Started my journey with a Sig P220. Always decocked it using my support thumb. Works well. FWIW, I have the E2 grips on my Sig now. Big improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here with a 229, I use the support hand thumb (E2 grips).

Shoot with the left hand, of course. Decocker SIGs are built for people in their right mind.

I will concede that using the left trigger finger to decock is not a smooth move, either, but the right support fingers can usually perform the task, as decocking is not something normally done when under pressure.

This also solves the "problem" of the right thumb keeping the slide lock from doing its job.

Using the left trigger finger to operate the magazine release is child's play.

Seriously, when my right hand's age/wear/tear-related ailments finally make my right hand useless, I may buy myself a nice, new 9mm P226. I almost did so, already, and have a nice lefty Milt Sparks VM II, waiting for that day.

I have plenty of trigger time with .40 P229 pistols, from 2004-2015, and a .45 ACP old-school "European-style" P220 from 1991-1993. I generally preferred DAK for right-hand shooting, and DA/SA for lefty shooting. What is a weak hand, anyway? (When I switched to mostly 9mm, for the lesser recoil on my aging joints, I also switched to the Glock platform, but I am missing shooting SIGs.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-06-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I have a basic question about running a 226. I acquired a 226 Legion sort of by accident and have enjoyed learning about it. I find the trigger, both DA and SA impressive and the gun itself impressively big and heavy.

I find I am unable to activate the decocker with my dominant thumb while holding a firing grip. It is just too far away. I can loosen my grip, rotate the gun a bit and reach it, or I can simply activate it with my non dominant hand, similar to how I have seen many folks drop the slide with a 1911.

Is there a preferred method for this? If I need to I guess I can look into reduced size grips, but I would prefer not to.

Are there any other pearls of wisdom out there for running the 226 from a gun handling perspective?
    For a right hand user, the decocker is best worked with the left thumb. Generally speaking, this can be done without disturbing your grip much at all. Many people, me included, prefer to rest the right thumb over the left thumb than against the frame (It's not a Glock..). This is still a thumb forward grip, its just resting on the left thumb and not against the frame. Riding against the frame will often prevent the slide from locking back on an empty magazine.

The P226 is my favorite pistol and the one I carried more than any other for work. IMO, It's one of the easiest gun to shoot well. There are several threads on running DA/SA guns in general and a recent thread on using the SIG decocker.
    Last edited by LSP552; 04-06-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I can reach the decocker with my strong hand thumb, but it rubs the slide release uncomfortably to do so. I use my left hand thumb to decock. Just cock the wrist a bit and the joint of the thumb hits it naturally.

There's a lot of cock in this post.

Site Supporter
    Back when.... All cadets/new cops , with less than big mitts, were shown how to use the support hand thumb to decock. The same technique was applied to 2nd and 3rd gen S&W pistol's slide stops.

Carried a DA/SA P226 for years. Right hand shooter and decocked with strong thumb. Breaking your firing grip to decock is a non issue, if that one second process endangers your safety, it's ok to put it off until later. Whether you need to or not, decocking should be part of your reholstering process and that's not always feasible if you turn it into a two hand proposition.

Most officers that decock with their off hand forget to do it as soon as they have to do something with their off hand, like hold a flashlight or talk on the radio.
    Last edited by txdpd; 04-06-2017 at 10:07 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Carried a DA/SA P226 for years. Right hand shooter and decocked with strong thumb. Breaking your firing grip to decock is a non issue, if that one second process endangers your safety, it's ok to put it off until later. Whether you need to or not, decocking should be part of your reholstering process and that's not always feasible if you turn it into a two hand proposition.

Most officers that decock with their off hand forget to do it as soon as they have to do something with their off hand, like hold a flashlight or talk on the radio.
    That's a good point I have not thought of. Though it's not an issue I have ran it too, it's food for thought.

User Tag List