Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB Holsters: Sidecar style vs. separate

AIWB Holsters: Sidecar style vs. separate

I'm in search of my first AIWB rig and trying to decide which route to go... I see a ton of love on reddit & instagram for the sidecar style holsters (there's tons of people making them now) with the combined gun + mag caddy setup.. Here on PF where IMO people tend to be much more experienced and practical instead of web warriors and instagram famous, i see them not so well liked. At least the trex ones aren't.. I've learned a lot from this place, so i tend to trust what comes from this community more than any other.

I'm curious, what about the other makers besides trex putting out the sidecar style? Does this combined style have merit, or is the separate gun + mag caddy just better in every way except convenience?

In the separate holster/mag route.. it looks like the RCS Eidolon and the JMCK are my front runners. JMCK seems to have unparalleled customer service so that's a big plus. RCS has no questions asked 30 day return policy and a lifetime unconditional warranty which is a big plus for them, especially since this will be my first foray into AIWB.

In the combined holster/mag route, trex seems the most popular, but they aren't on my list as they don't see like they are made with concealment in mind.. Other makers of note i have on my list who seem solid.. Redline Concealment, T5CustomKydex, Flashpoint Solutions, LastLineofDefense and GNGTactical... most of these seem like good options in the 'sidecar' category, but they are essentially "boutique" holster makers or new holster makers, so warranty "test of time" is questionable.

I'm also noticing a trend... i have yet to see adoption of the sidecar style by who would be considered "top in the field" of professionals (LE & Mil) and instructors. Is that because this style is still new and not well-vetted or because it's just sub par for serious carry when not making instagram videos?

Thanks PF!

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    They're all newer makers copying the G-Code Incog with the mag attached. It initially started as some sorta convenience thing and took off because #marketing #resurrectingshittytechniques and all that.

One point to consider... Any good AIWB holster and any good pouch can occupy the exact same space as any of the Instagram specials.

Also to consider... The claws that folks attach leverage the grip one way and the mag pouch portion of the shell leverages the grip the other way, unless of course the shell is bent just right for your body. Durability wise there seems to be a lot more fatigue related failures that pop up on Facebook and other groups. This, I believe, is directly related to the claw and pouch working against each other paired with body movement. The belt line is dynamic in that the shape might be an ellipse when standing still but as you walk, bend, lean, etc that shape is contorting all over and taking the belt and holster for a ride with it. This is why years ago when kydex was the only choice for OWB belt loops we saw so much cracking. Kydex and boltaron have a rolled in texture, or grain, that has valleys that also serve to make cracks easier to form. Lots of people ignore or don't know/care and just keep on keeping on.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

For what it's worth, the one time I tried the Sidecar it looked like I was a college kid stealing plates from a restaurant.

If you've got a slender build I'd recommend an Eidolon (with the soft loops) and either a JMCK or Mastermind Tactics AIWB mag pouch, or a jMCK Wing Claw or Dark Star Orion (? Seraph?) as kydex alternatives.

If you're bulkier, a regular JMCK AIWB would be a good choice.

Site Supporter
    By analogy, You are asking about the relative advantages of a dual mag pouch or two singles. Two singles, almost always works as well or better than the double, allow for the same amount of reloads and are much more versatile relative to waistline placement and overall "real estate" occupied.

I would humbly assert that there is more collective AIWB knowledge on this forum v any other on the net. I say this as someone who has AIWB'ed a G35/ 34 90+% of the time since the summer of 09 and was speaking with TLG (RIP) literally as this was site was going live in Feb of 2011. As such, the collective here has a decided preference for the separate holster/mag route. Choose wisely and free your mind of this hardware issue to solve the much more demanding software issues that come with the daily carry of a firearm.

LesPaul, I will try to add to the wisdom in the posts above by simply providing some of my own experience. Take it for what it's worth.

What led me to this forum was a search for new holsters to replace my (still worthy) holsters dating back to the middle to late 90's.

Despite a career in LE I am not a gun forum whore and while I would occasionally peruse a thread or two online when there was a topic of interest under discussion, I never felt inclined to register or join.

When I read the intelligent and helpful discussions on this site regarding the work of previously mentioned craftsmen like Tom of Dark Star Gear, Tony of JMCK and others, I found that not only did I come across the answers I sought but I also found a community that I wanted to be a part of. Having been a super mod on another enthusiast site since the late 90's, I'm more than well aware of what makes one venue stand out from the rest.

The only thing I can fault is their willingness to take me on but everyone makes mistakes, even supremely confident and intelligent guys like Tom Jones.

All of this is preamble to this: The makers who are popular on this site are popular for a reason. Their designs have withstood hard use and the test of time from accomplished folks of many backgrounds. Sure, some have gravitated toward favorites here and there but there's not a one of those favorites among the regulars here that I wouldn't consider a tried, true and worthy design.

The membership may not always agree on every particular but the collective wisdom will steer you down the right path. When these folks tell you to take note of one design or steer you away from another, take note.

By the way, I started carrying AIWB in 1988 with a ballistic nylon IWB holster from Assault Systems. The gear has only gotten better over the past few decades and the advice received here is what helped me to find the right makers for my gear and needs.

DSG and JMCK get my vote based upon my personal experience with them. Others are equally worthy but I haven't had the opportunity to test them myself.
    Last edited by blues; 04-06-2017 at 05:20 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star Gear View Post
    They're all newer makers copying the G-Code Incog with the mag attached. It initially started as some sorta convenience thing and took off because #marketing #resurrectingshittytechniques and all that.

One point to consider... Any good AIWB holster and any good pouch can occupy the exact same space as any of the Instagram specials.

Also to consider... The claws that folks attach leverage the grip one way and the mag pouch portion of the shell leverages the grip the other way, unless of course the shell is bent just right for your body. Durability wise there seems to be a lot more fatigue related failures that pop up on Facebook and other groups. This, I believe, is directly related to the claw and pouch working against each other paired with body movement. The belt line is dynamic in that the shape might be an ellipse when standing still but as you walk, bend, lean, etc that shape is contorting all over and taking the belt and holster for a ride with it. This is why years ago when kydex was the only choice for OWB belt loops we saw so much cracking. Kydex and boltaron have a rolled in texture, or grain, that has valleys that also serve to make cracks easier to form. Lots of people ignore or don't know/care and just keep on keeping on.
    Excellent points man. I hadn't considered that aspect, but it makes complete and perfect sense. I've even seen some companies are starting to connect the 2 with a piece of leather, at which point i thought to myself (why not just have them separate?). Your points drive this home even further. It seems like these various bends and connections are trying to solve a self-created problem lol. Thanks for your feedback! I need to check out the DSG stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    For what it's worth, the one time I tried the Sidecar it looked like I was a college kid stealing plates from a restaurant.

If you've got a slender build I'd recommend an Eidolon (with the soft loops) and either a JMCK or Mastermind Tactics AIWB mag pouch, or a jMCK Wing Claw or Dark Star Orion (? Seraph?) as kydex alternatives.

If you're bulkier, a regular JMCK AIWB would be a good choice.
    I wouldn't call myself slender. I'm 6'2 and about 245 lbs right now. I used to be more top heavy from powerlifting, but 2 kids and 3 years later a lot of that has migrated to a tactical muffin top. Not a giant protruding gut or anything, but definitely soft around the midsection. I've noticed that JM is really good about answering questions and recommending the right holster for people. I'll probably be reaching out soon to see what he recommends. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    By analogy, You are asking about the relative advantages of a dual mag pouch or two singles. Two singles, almost always works as well or better than the double, allow for the same amount of reloads and are much more versatile relative to waistline placement and overall "real estate" occupied.

I would humbly assert that there is more collective AIWB knowledge on this forum v any other on the net. I say this as someone who has AIWB'ed a G35/ 34 90+% of the time since the summer of 09 and was speaking with TLG (RIP) literally as this was site was going live in Feb of 2011. As such, the collective here has a decided preference for the separate holster/mag route. Choose wisely and free your mind of this hardware issue to solve the much more demanding software issues that come with the daily carry of a firearm.
    Good analogy! I agree about the collective knowledge on this site. It has helped me tremendously in my learning (and unlearning of some widely taught bad practices). Thank you for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    LesPaul, I will try to add to the wisdom in the posts above by simply providing some of my own experience. Take it for what it's worth.

What led me to this forum was a search for new holsters to replace my (still worthy) holsters dating back to the middle to late 90's.

Despite a career in LE I am not a gun forum whore and while I would occasionally peruse a thread or two online when there was a topic of interest under discussion, I never felt inclined to register or join.

When I read the intelligent and helpful discussions on this site regarding the work of previously mentioned craftsmen like Tom of Dark Star Gear, Tony of JMCK and others, I found that not only did I come across the answers I sought but I also found a community that I wanted to be a part of. Having been a super mod on another enthusiast site since the late 90's, I'm more than well aware of what makes one venue stand out from the rest.

The only thing I can fault is their willingness to take me on but everyone makes mistakes, even supremely confident and intelligent guys like Tom Jones.

All of this is preamble to this: The makers who are popular on this site are popular for a reason. Their designs have withstood hard use and the test of time from accomplished folks of many backgrounds. Sure, some have gravitated toward favorites here and there but there's not a one of those favorites among the regulars here that I wouldn't consider a tried, true and worthy design.

The membership may not always agree on every particular but the collective wisdom will steer you down the right path. When these folks tell you to take note of one design or steer you away from another, take note.

By the way, I started carrying AIWB in 1988 with a ballistic nylon IWB holster from Assault Systems. The gear has only gotten better over the past few decades and the advice received here is what helped me to find the right makers for my gear and needs.

DSG and JMCK get my vote based upon my personal experience with them. Others are equally worthy but I haven't had the opportunity to test them myself.

Thanks for the input! I fully agree with you about this community. I've been lurking for several months, and in fact was telling me wife about this place the other night.. about how this place seems to be "free of all the crap" when it comes to trying to figure out what's fudd, what's web warrior babble, what's marketing bs, etc... In other sites it seems to be a lot of hive mind regurgitation of what the previous generation of web warriors said... little based on real world experience. It surprises me to find this quality of a community on a free and open site.. usually this kind of quality is hidden behind a closed registration/paywall to keep the riff raff out. I must say, i really appreciate what ToddG started. I'm just sad i didn't find this place until after his unfortunate passing.

I've yet to find a tuck-able AIWB magazine pouch that holds the magazine in the correct position all day and doesn't dig into my stomach too much.

For all in one designs, I've found that the T1C AGIS with its leather connection design gives us the best of both worlds.

I really believe the sidecar style/design and the rise of Social Media Shooters coincided at the right time. IME they aren't comfortable and print more than I would like. One also has to realize that most people don't carry during the work week and definitely don't around the house, so the enthusiasm of purchasers on social media and Reddit isn't that realistic.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Nylon OWB holster with integral mag pouch: "OMG n00b! Retard stuff only cheap-ass holsters for n00bs have that!"

Kydex IWB holster with integral mag pouch: "New Instagram hotness! Did you see dude's sick draw times on that rubber dummy?"
    Last edited by Tamara; 04-06-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List