Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AAR: John McPhee / SOB Tactical 2-Day Handgun, 1-2 Apr 2017, Bastrop, TX

Thanks again for the info and the great review.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    The dude's a character, that's for sure. The "Sheriff of Baghdad" thing is kind of a funny story. But he's scary smart and knows his shit.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Hehe, they quoted my paraphrased book excerpt on their Facebook feed.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Thanks for the detailed AAR!

Great review! I took Mr. McPhee's video diagnostic carbine and pistol classes last spring and I found them enormously helpful. The insights I gained, the mysteries solved, and the lessons learned about my shooting where well worth the price of the classes. His classes are definitely not a high round man fantasy tactical camp, but actually constitute a diagnostic, teaching and then skill building experience. John McPhee is also a very likeable, easy going dude, with a great sense of humor.

I too was exposed to him via TT Tv, and felt there was a bit of a tv persona, but the more episodes I saw, I liked him. Thanks for the lengthy write up, that was very informative, and makes me want to sign up!

In terms of teaching the small details of grip, trigger mechanics, etc., the other guy who impressed me on that show was Frank Proctor.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig66 View Post
    I too was exposed to him via TT Tv, and felt there was a bit of a tv persona, but the more episodes I saw, I liked him. Thanks for the lengthy write up, that was very informative, and makes me want to sign up!..
    Same for me. The more I watched his segments, the more impressed I became.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    So, some of you may have noticed my desent into fanboyism. Because of that, I'm going to post all of the analysis videos I received from John.

I was reluctant to do so initially, because I didn't want to give away his secret sauce. But I've encountered skepticism from many people regarding John's teaching technique, so I hope these videos will bring him more business and demonstrate just how valuable his training can be.

First, stance:

Second, grip. You can actually hear me asking him, "What are you looking at that indicates that?"

Third, presentation.

Fourth, reload:

Fifth, draw after coaching:

Sixth, reload after coaching:

Seventh, stoppage drill (this is the only thing in John's curriculum I took an issue with. Don't want my fingers near the round when clearing the pistol):

Eighth, clearing a double feed:

Finally, John's "Yemen Drill" (two shots, two targets):

Name:  DTOMMF2_large.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  28.9 KB
    Last edited by Chance; 09-05-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Thanks for sharing these. Interesting stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Most people would find that incredibly boring. I just watched them all very closely. That really appeals to the gun nerd in me and looks to be super helpful (just like you described in the AAR). Thanks, I learned a lot even looking at yours.

User Tag List