Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AAR: John McPhee / SOB Tactical 2-Day Handgun, 1-2 Apr 2017, Bastrop, TX

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

AAR: John McPhee / SOB Tactical 2-Day Handgun, 1-2 Apr 2017, Bastrop, TX

BLUF

I can’t imagine a better class with regards to fundamental weapon manipulation. Even if you’re a high level shooter or an experienced instructor, John has set a standard that the training industry needs to pay attention to.

The School

UpTex Shooting Range sits on a ranch. It’s about ten minutes out of Bastrop, which makes it a trivial drive from a large concentration of hotels and restaurants. It’s a pretty rural facility; there’s cattle on the property, and keeping the front gate closed is important.

The actual pistol range is positioned towards the rear of the property. It’s positioned behind a steep hill, and if there was rain the night before, you should probably not tempt fate by driving your vehicle all the way down.

The pistol range itself faces the big hill. There is a concrete slab, and permanent cover. You can pull your vehicle right up to the shooting area. We elected to pull equipment from our vehicle onto the tables provided, but if you just wanted to work out of your car, that was easy.

The latrines are literal latrines. The owner, Russ, does a good job of keeping odor under control, and I’d honestly prefer an outhouse than entombment in a Port-a-Potty. No running water or fans, but the cover is large enough so that everyone can spread out and enjoy the shade.

The Instructor

John is a former Unit guy that’s cagey about using the ‘D’ word. In addition to his time at The Organization That Shall Not Be Mention, he was also a Ranger, and attached to CIF at one point. So he’s familiar with pretty much every level of Army special operations.

I don’t know much about John’s background, but I’m guessing he first came to notoriety based on the singleton mission he undertook, portrayed in this book. Author Tom Greer (in this case, known by his pen name Dalton Fury) described John as such:

Quote Originally Posted by Kill Bin Laden
    The first order of business was to locate Ahmed’s bedroom, and one of the best reconnaissance operators in the business volunteered for the job. He was known in [The Organization That Shall Not Be Mention] as Shrek, affectionately named after the movie cartoon character with whom he shared a similar large and muscular build. He sported a deep bronze tan from the sun’s glare off the snowy peaks in northern Afghanistan, and much of his face was covered by a thick brown beard that he had grown over many months.

Shrek might draw notice on a street corner in Iowa, but would fit in well among the Afghan locals. He had proven his skills time and again, and as much as any [The Organization That Shall Not Be Mention] operator, Shrek had developed a good feel for the people of the area and understood the very different culture in which honor, hospitality, and revenge are valued like Americans cherish baseball, hot dogs, and apple pie. He had been decorated for valor while chasing bin Laden through the mountains almost a year earlier, and in my opinion there was no better man for this job.

We had a lot of information, but Shrek would hopefully provide us with actionable intelligence we needed to present the situation for a strike to our higher command. Intelligence had to be actionable. Not a guess, not too sketchy, and not too old to receive approval to execute a mission. No actionable intelligence equaled no mission launch and typically would send the whole lot of us back to sliding another movie into the DVD player or pumping more iron under the big tent.

We were asking Shrek to hang it all out, to undertake the sort of mission that most American men can only experience vicariously through Tom Clancy novels or Tom Cruise Hollywood thrillers. On his own, he would have to burrow into a dangerous haystack that was made up of dozens of log-and-mud-walled adobes jammed together on a steep, terraced ridgeline, and discover the needle that was the home of Gul Ahmed. “Oh, yeah,” I added during the initial briefing, putting one more big task on his broad shoulders. “While you are there, we also need you to confirm that Mr. Ahmed is at home and not shopping across the border in Pakistan.”
    John performed that mission, successfully, by himself. He went on to be a SGM in Iraq, commanding a troop of 53 operators every evening. They hit target-after-target, and were in multiple gunfights every evening.

John is super big on neuroscience. He spends a lot of time on the road and listens to textbooks regarding habit, talent, and subconscious tendencies during his trips. He has a very deep understanding of how the mental process works, and incorporate that into his instruction. But he isn’t the type to start slinging impenetrable, multisyllabic terminology around trying to impress people.

John is easy going, funny, and has the patience of a statue. He keeps everything low pressure, and running smoothly.

Class Makeup

There were eight people in the class, with the ninth being our host, Russ. The makeup included three women, and three lefties. Experience level ran from “brand new,” to “doing this for a long time.”

There was a mother-son team, two SO teams (one of which was me and my SO, the other included an experienced cop who was a solid shooter), and two more unattached dudes, including Russ.

I was expecting Instagram operators, and was pleasantly surprised to see we were average folks who just wanted to shoot better. It was clear some of the inexperienced students were pretty intimidated going into the class (classes can be intimidating to the best of us), but everyone was soon relaxed and having a good time.

Context

Within the training industry, opinions on trigger jerk range from, “Trigger control is everything,” to “Trigger control is not a thing.” John is of the “trigger jerk isn’t real” camp. I’m not going to pretend I’m qualified to have an opinion, so I’ll just share my experience.

I began my shooting very firmly in the camp of “trigger control is everything.” So, before I’d head to the range, I’d spend about thirty minutes going through the same procedure. Clear the gun, stow the ammo in another room, and find a clear place on a white wall.

Step 1: draw the gun, and place front sight under eye level. Step 2: press out to full extension, making sure to follow the front sight all the way to the target. Step 3: perfect trigger press - press the trigger smoothly all the way to the rear, and do so with no perceptible disturbance to the sights. Reset, repeat.

Then, I’d head to the range. Post the target, load the pistol, and start from step 1. Draw the gun, front sight under the dominant eye, press out and track front sight to target, perfect trigger press.

The shot would go down, and to the left.

I’d tell myself, “Crap. Okay, massive trigger jerk. Deep breath, relax, stay focused.”

Start from step 1. The shot would go down and to the left.

“God damn it. Fuck. Okay. Deep breath. Focus on continuous trigger press to the rear. Relax, front sight all the way to target, smooth press to the rear.”

The shot would go down and to the left.

Fucking shit ass bitch cock fucking fuck!

I’d repeat ad nauseam, then I’d skulk home. Once I got home, I’d query The Hive Mind that is the Internet, and Google, “shot goes down and to the left.” The Hive Mind would always reply, “Stop jurking teh triger!!1!

*sigh*

I’d clear the gun, stow the ammo in another room, and find a clear place on a white wall….

If that sounds like you, keep reading.

First Day

The class began with everyone loading two rounds into the gun, and two rounds in a spare mag. John filmed us from the three yard line drawing, presenting, firing, reloading and firing again. All students used the same target, and John didn’t bother marking which shots came from which students. From that he begin his analysis.

It took John all of six seconds (I timed it from the video he gave me) to diagnose me as a habitual down and to the left shooter. He didn’t even look at the target, just my grip on the gun. How’d he do that?

Name:  grip_fix.jpg
Views: 2901
Size:  64.6 KB

I would love nothing more than to share the video with y’all, and give you a detailed explanation of what you’re seeing. However, I don’t want to give away any of John’s proprietary secret analysis sauce. If you’re thinking, “That looks like every thumbs-forward grip ever,” that’s what I thought. But John saw something else.

John’s exact words were, and I’m not quoting this from memory, I’m quoting this because he records his analysis on video and then gives it to you, “Anytime I see this, this is where you shoot low and left. Right? And you probably get told you do trigger jerk, right? But the truth is _______”

In exactly two rounds, John diagnosed a shooting problem I have had since the first time I had picked up a handgun. He didn’t even look at the fucking target, he just looked at the video. How’d he fix this problem?

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 2660
Size:  26.8 KB

Blew my mind, and I’m not be sarcastic. That little mark completely changed my approach to shooting. And that was just the first part of day one.

The rest of the day, we focused on grip, stance, and reload. There were a few drills mixed in, but for the most part, it was shooting into the A zone with John right there coaching you.

Probably 70% of the rounds you fire in class are going to be under John’s direct supervision. If your grip needs to be adjusted, he’ll move your hands for you, rather than giving vague instructions on how you’re supposed to improve. He’d then look at your shot pattern, and teach you how to recognize what you were doing that was creating a certain pattern. Other than making sure to start the trigger press earlier because of the LEM’s long trigger pull, trigger control didn’t come up.

We got the essentials done on the first day, and then wrapped up around 6:00pm.

Second Day

The second day was a little wonky, because a torrential downpour was headed in our direction. UpTex had been flooded before, and John made the assumption that the range would be flooded again, so he front-loaded all of our videos, just in case we had to cut the class short.

John filmed several videos on the first day, including a video critiquing our reload procedure. To provide some insight into how John analyzes videos, I’ve included some screenshots below.

Trigger Warning: the following include graphic photos of an epic Viking face mane the unbearded may find upsetting. Viewer discretion is advised.

(And yes, I need to lose some weight. Shut up.)

This is screen cap of John telling me where I should have released the magazine. I screwed that up because I only released the magazine after I had brought it into my workspace.

Name:  reload_1.jpg
Views: 2691
Size:  56.3 KB

Here, John is illustrating that you can eject the mag immediately while bringing it into your workspace, so long as you keep the pistol level with the ground so the mag falls free without hanging in the mag well. I didn’t do that. Observe:

Name:  reload_2.jpg
Views: 2452
Size:  54.4 KB

And then:

Name:  reload_3.jpg
Views: 2405
Size:  57.5 KB

Then I fumbled the reload because I was moving the gun around.

Name:  reload_4.jpg
Views: 2089
Size:  57.3 KB

The HK P30 exhibits the tendency to automatically release the slide when you insert a magazine. You see that here, when the magazine is fully seated, and I begin to press the pistol out again.

Name:  reload_5.jpg
Views: 1967
Size:  55.7 KB

So here, the magazine is fully seated, and I’m doing as close to a standard press-out as I can. John identifies when I’m at full extension, and then starts watching the hammer on the back of the gun (I was using an HK LEM setup, which involves a long first trigger pull).

Name:  reload_6.jpg
Views: 2255
Size:  57.3 KB

This is me at full extension, and this is me when the firearm actually discharged. You can see from the earlier screen cap, I was already pressing the trigger back to the rear, but I just didn’t do it fast enough.

Name:  reload_7.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  52.8 KB

So it took me over half a second to actually fire the pistol.

Now I know you’re probably thinking, “Well, I could have told you all of that,” and yeah, a lot of it’s obvious. The difference is how many videos John has seen – far into the thousands – and he catches things a lot of people wouldn’t. On several occasions I asked him, “What are you seeing that indicates that?” He’d point out the indicator, which looked like a whole lot of bupkis to me, but the feedback he gave me worked, so he’s obviously seeing something. He has an extraordinary eye for detail and I am beyond convinced that if you’re not using video to train, you’re just wrong, and that’s all there is to it.

That day we shot new videos for draw and reload, then worked on multiple targets, clearing stoppages and correcting double feeds. All of those were videoed and analyze. We wrapped up the day filming John’s Yemen drill (a straight-forward drill, but based off of something that actually happened, and emphasized several of the things we learned during class).

John analyzed all our videos, we wrapped up around 5:00pm, and headed out.

The Bad

Honestly, I think my only genuine complaint is that John recorded all the videos on an iPhone, which produce a .mov file. In January of 2016, Apple stopped supporting QuickTime on Windows. That means that if you want to watch .mov files on a Windows machine, you have to do some finagling. It is entirely possible (and I’m not being hyperbolic, I’m being literal) that the issue is confined to just me, but my Windows 7 installation doesn’t like .mov files.

Other than that, I can’t really find anything to complain about. The first time I saw the outhouse, I thought, “Oh, shit” (heh), but Russ employs whatever proper procedure you’re supposed to use with outhouses, and it actually wasn’t bad. And the outhouse was far better than having to “pop a squat,” as my SO calls it.

There is a lot of down time in the class, but that’s only a bad thing if you’re stupid. Probably less than 400 rounds total, but the majority of them of while you’re either being filmed, or with John standing right next to you. Providing that amount of individual attention will result in down time, there’s no avoiding that.

If you’re a student of shooting, observing his individual coaching, and then sitting in while he examines and analyzes each student’s video is a bonus. You’re not just learning how to shoot well, you’re learning how to analyze video of people shooting, which makes you better at analyzing your own videos. So “down time” doesn’t equal “wasted time.”

The Good

The videos he shoots are invaluable. He analyzes and narrates the whole thing, so instead of trying to remember, “Okay, he said something about this…” on the drive home, you can look at yourself on the video and hear John’s exact words.

John is an easy-going guy with a spectacular depth of experience. He could easily setup a line of 24 armchair commandos and start lining his pockets. But he doesn’t. Class size is small and he spends a significant amount of time with each student, no matter their disposition of skill level, because he actually wants you to do better. No yelling, no derision, no intimidation, just patient feedback.

I always felt like I had something missing with my shooting, and that made me reluctant to throw myself into hardcore training. I intuitively realized the ends didn't meet, but I had no idea what the problem was. I feel like I have all the pieces now, and I’ve John to thank for that.

Easily the best shooting course I’ve ever had.

Summary

Any shooter, from never held a gun to world class, could get something out of this course. John is a tactical guy, but he also shoots IPSC at a Master level, so even if you’re just the sort that runs a gun for fun, this would be a great class to take.

If you’re an instructor, I think it’s worth taking a look at what John’s doing. He has a masterful command of video analysis, and I think it’s something the training industry needs to mimic.

My SO and I made big jumps in our shooting and had a blast doing so. We’re already planning to train with John again, and are going to use Gunfighter U (John’s service where you film yourself, send it to him and he’ll analyze it for) in mean time.

This was simply a phenomenal course, and if you’re a serious student of shooting, you’d be remiss not the train with John.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Awesome, thanks for the report Chance!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I'm taking the one day version of this course with Shrek in August in WV.

I keep wondering if there's something gimmicky about what the does/teaches, but I have yet to read anything negative about him or his courses, so I'm very excited that I got into one.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I took his diagnostics class awhile back and found it immensely helpful as well. Good write up.

Great review. Sure wish I had one of those marks on my hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    I'm taking the one day version of this course with Shrek in August in WV.

I keep wondering if there's something gimmicky about what the does/teaches, but I have yet to read anything negative about him or his courses, so I'm very excited that I got into one.
    He is the antithesis of gimmicky. He takes the video, and the video doesn't lie.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

As always, I very much appreciate your detailed notes. Thanks for taking the time to write them up and share with us.

Chance thanks for the detailed and thorough write up in your review. I'm glad you got so much out of it and shared your thoughts. I never heard of John McPhee other then seeing his segment on Trigger Time TV which seemed a bit dramatic with Sheriff of Bagdad, the hat and all I thought it was a tv personality thing for entertainment. He made sense and I like his segments better then some others on the show but never considered it serious enough to look into his training. It seems my skepticism was unfair and I'm looking up his training course now.

On a side note looking at your hand picture and the comments on reloads. I have smaller hands and have to re-position my hand/grip to press the mag release button. I usually do this as I move the gun back into my workspace like you described. Did he suggest a method that works for smaller hands to get to the mag button while keeping the gun vertical and while still out or something else?

Thanks for the review. I also like his segments on trigger time tv. I literally fast forward through the other stuff and just watch his segment.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    I never heard of John McPhee other then seeing his segment on Trigger Time TV which seemed a bit dramatic with Sheriff of Bagdad, the hat and all I thought it was a tv personality thing for entertainment.
    The dude's a character, that's for sure. The "Sheriff of Baghdad" thing is kind of a funny story. But he's scary smart and knows his shit.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Did he suggest a method that works for smaller hands to get to the mag button while keeping the gun vertical and while still out or something else?
    Depends on where the mag release is, but generally, use your support hand to twist the gun into your firing hand's thumb. Correct your index when your support hand gets back on the pistol.

User Tag List