Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns, Skills, and Ammo For Self Defense

Guns, Skills, and Ammo For Self Defense

This is a great video. I agree with most of it. The only thing I would say add is that less skilled people probably would benefit from more ammo in the gun, as they will likely miss more shots. So, the benefit of developing great pistol shooting skills is that we get to carry and shoot smaller guns. I personally love shooting my small guns, but not everybody does. Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Great video as always from him.

... most people are capable of carrying a bigger gun than they think they can...
    This is always I point I try to make when talking with others, and I think it is well appreciated and emphasized on P-F. That said, when people realistically assess said point it may intersect with Rule #1 on their graph differently than mine.

The only thing I would say add is that less skilled people probably would benefit from more ammo in the gun, as they will likely miss more shots.
    Without typing out a paragraph, I will say that if someone were to tell me their capacity choice compensates for misses I would ask them not to carry a gun until that point is rectified.

So, the benefit of developing great pistol shooting skills is that we get to carry and shoot smaller guns.
    I think the benefit of competency is that one can shoot smaller guns better. In regards to getting to, I don't think it is always a case of performance equals access.

Everyone will have a different outcome of Rule #1 vs performance vs assessed needs.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 04-06-2017 at 01:09 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I think the benefit of competency is that one can shoot smaller guns better. In regards to getting to, I don't think it is always a case of performance equals access.

Everyone will have a different outcome of Rule #1 vs performance vs assessed needs.
    Well said. I think one of the advantages, or compensations of a pocket carried J frame is the ease of access and the ability to mask aggressive intent.
    What you lose in capacity may be made up for with stealth and opportunity.

An AIWB carried semi with a pocket carried revolver might be nearly ideal but carrying two firearms is definitely not part of my EDC loadout.
    Last edited by blues; 04-06-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Nice overall commentary.

@5:32
    "Under-trained people somehow end up being the victims of bad luck more often..."

Is there really a 'somehow' there? Speaking facetiously? It seems most people who do carry don't really train at all and by percentages alone would wind up in the 'more likely' category. I guess the point could be made that those who are well trained, or who actively train carry themselves a little differently, i.e., pay attention to the surroundings, don't really exhibit the appearance of an easy mark, etc., but it seems that by sheer numbers the 'under-trained' would be a couple of magnitudes more prevalent than those who train regularly.

Another informative video from LG.

Learning the fundamentals on a full size handgun is 100% on. The additional weight, longer sight radius and larger grip all contribute to better feedback on breathing, trigger control and sight alignment. Once a shooter knows their abilities, it's easier to move to a smaller weapon, more concealable weapon and determine what sacrifice it requires in speed/accuracy.

In my case, I have small hands and all double-stack pistols feel large. I believe my saving grace is the significant amount of time I spent early in my shooting career with a K-frame S&W participating in a PPC league. I regularly shot 580s or better in the Combat 600 course with a tuned S&W Model 14 (full lug) with 594 being my best. Mastering the DA pull of the S&W made the transition to the striker-fired pistols easier for me, though I could never match the scores I achieved with the Model 14 with my Glock 17. I can shoot the Glock pretty well in IDPA but it still feels large in my hand.

A far better fit for my hands is the Walther PPS, which is my EDC weapon. I have used it numerous times in IDPA matches using a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster. Though not quite as quick as the G17 out of an OWB holster, out to 21 feet I don't seem to loose anything in terms of speed and accuracy. Though drawing from the IWB is a touch slower, the PPS settles into my hand more quickly and I can establish a good grip quicker and more consistently vs. the larger G17. Of course at longer range I can hose targets more efficiently with the larger pistol.

So I just want to add that "smaller" does not necessarily require significant sacrifice. In my case, I can shoot the single-stack PPS as well (if not better) at typical self-defense distances than a full size double-stack pistol.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 04-09-2017 at 08:28 AM. Reason: PPC score corrections

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Is there really a 'somehow' there? Speaking facetiously?
    Intentional litotes.

Haven't watched this video in a while. Holy cow that's a lot of hand-talking.
    The guy from Lucky Gunner

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Nice overall commentary.
    @5:32 "Under-trained people somehow end up being the victims of bad luck more often..."
    Is there really a 'somehow' there? Speaking facetiously? It seems most people who do carry don't really train at all and by percentages alone would wind up in the 'more likely' category. I guess the point could be made that those who are well trained, or who actively train carry themselves a little differently, i.e., pay attention to the surroundings, don't really exhibit the appearance of an easy mark, etc., but it seems that by sheer numbers the 'under-trained' would be a couple of magnitudes more prevalent than those who train regularly.
    The undertained concealed carrier is a big concern of mine. Two reasons I have volunteered to run IDPA in VA/MD/DC:
    1) The more people shooting IDPA, the more safety and competency for concealed carriers;
    2) I do what I can to help influence IDPA shooters to consider broadening their training beyond firearms such as pepper spray, situational awareness, weapon retention, hand to hand combat, weapons disarms, and the mindset of self-defense. Every time I teach a SO class or New Shooter Class I take a few minutes to talk about supplementing their firearms practice and training with a broader set of tactics.

My usual speech:
    1) Buy the book Facing Violence, by Rory Miller, read it and understand the civilian use of force options;
    2) Go out and buy the Triple Acting Mace with the clip on the bottom so it can be easily carried and deployed quickly from the pocket. And, buy some practice inert pepper spray containers and practice with them regularly;
    3) Consider taking some type of hand to hand self-defense course where you can learn weapon retention, weapon disarms, and some basic combatives, such as Krav Maga, Jiu-Jitsu, or civilian tactical training or combatives.
    4) Consider taking a CPR and GSW class to learn how to provide first aid;
    5) Consider taking a legal seminar on civilian use of force related to the state in which they live.

Not everyone does everything, but I do think I have made a difference in my area, even if limited to my sphere of IDPA shooters.
    Cody
    Last edited by cclaxton; 04-09-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    Chris always has good videos...He's pretty much one of the only YouTube gun personalities I listen to.

More ammo because it gives you the ability to miss more is NOT a good Idea. I think the emphasis should be placed on NOT MISSING.

I believe most people do not train to miss but tolerate misses much more than they should, after all 4 out of 5 shots were hits so that's good enough.

I was taught that I own every bullet and the consequences for its action until it stops.

User Tag List