Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice Question

Practice Question

Hey all,

Just have a question concerning dry fire practice, mainly reloads and draws. Obviously practicing with an empty magazine for the draw or reload will be different than a fully loaded magazine. In your opinion, is this difference worth spending money on things like Dummunition (http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...g%2BDevices%2F) or these training magazines (http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...%26filter_4%3D)

My carry gun is a Glock 19, with a G17 mag for reload.

Thanks for the help.

-Max

I've never realized a need for weighted practice mags. the weight of a loaded mag during live fire reloads is a non issue.

Dummy ammunition has many uses, and having 10 or 15 dummy rounds is a good idea.
    Last edited by JDM; 12-22-2011 at 11:29 AM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I've never though about it. You might be on to something but I don't know. I do practice reloads with dummy rounds just so I have something to index my finger on and I figure its better than repeatadly dropping the slide on an empty chamber (note, I don't have any real reason to believe that - I just though about it one day and it made sense to me so certainly don't quote me on that or start chiming in that I'm an idiot and it doesn't matter because I'm going to use the dummy rounds regardless.)

I use snap caps/dummy ammo for practicing reloads because it's easier to depress the slide-lock lever when you're doing that vs. using an empty magazine. I want the dry fire reload to feel as close to the "real thing" as possible.

We are diminished
    I simply remove the follower and spring from my mag to get the same "no resistance" slide release.

On Head Hunter's recommendation I bought and love these for inserting a full feeling mag.

http://www.benniecooley.com/safetymags.html

There is a video somewhere on here (but I could not find it) with him doing a reload dry fire practice with them.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I simply remove the follower and spring from my mag to get the same "no resistance" slide release.
    BRILLIANT!!!!

I'd of never thought of this.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I practice drawstroke like a madman. More in the past than now. This was to retrain my drawstroke when I switched from strong side to appendix carry.

I noted that the feel of a gun with one dummy round in the chamber and an empty magazine in it has different momentum than a gun full of real ammo and the difference does affect the drawstroke a little.

So I got a weighted training magazine and continued drawing like a madman.

The increased weight coupled with clear overuse promptly gave me a minor case of tendinitis in the my right elbow, which totally sucks big time. I think I even remember the moment I first felt a twinge of pain in my elbow during an hours-long drawing session. It's ok, you can all call me stupid. I won't be offended.

I had to lay off drawstroke practice to a large degree, and it has mostly, but not completely healed. I still have to ration my draw practice to avoid aggravating it. I do not use the weighted magazine anymore, and just accept the difference between a light gun in dry practice and a bit heavier one in live fire.

I love the saying that:

Dumb people don't learn from their mistakes.
    Smart people learn from their mistakes.
    Really smart people learn from the mistakes of others.

Learn from mine.

Moral of the story: overtraining is bad and can lead to injury. Whether it's weights, punching, or guns.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    BRILLIANT!!!!
    I'd of never thought of this.
    Actually, I stole the idea from HH. Though I believe he actually goes the extra step and simply files/dremels the slide catch notch on his followers so he can also use those magazines for malf clearances, etc.

User Tag List