Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Soldier Systems: US Army Considers Adopting an Interim Battle Rifle in 7.62 NATO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Edited to add:
    Looks like they didn't get the memo about Eotech being hot garbage.
    They seem to really like the EOTech - they were well represented in the Vickers video on the Alpha AK. There is also a Russian copy in use that presents a similar appearance. Here's a "Little Green Man" with an EOTech equipped AK in the Ukraine.

Last edited by JSGlock34; 04-05-2017 at 07:08 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Round and round we go. How is the 7.62 x 51 overmatch against the 7.62 x 54R?

Soldier Systems: US Army Considers Adopting an Interim Battle Rifle in 7.62 NATO

Overmatch.

Reminds me of the AirMechStrike lunatic from a few years back.

OUR ENEMIES WITH THIRTY CALUBER RIFLES
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 04-05-2017 at 07:21 PM.

SHOCK ACTION

I fail to see how a few soldiers in an element having .308's is a counter to a PKM. That's why we have M240's right? I've been out of the .mil for over a decade so I freely admit I could be missing something.

And it doesn't matter what caliber the big Army selects... do we really expect them to provide adequate training on it? Just like the MHS, 3 round burst, handgun caliber changes, etc. I view this as them trying to solve all problems with new gear/weapons.

I imagine if the Army is seeking an 'interim' solution, it means that they don't expect LSAT to bear fruit anytime soon...

Soldier Systems posted this... http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2016/armament/18260_Schatz.pdf ... on the 4th. It was a presentation by Jim Schatz. Plays in to the "interim" part of the 7.62x51 acquisition.

Didn't the Brits adopt the LMT MWS a few years ago with a similar application in mind?

Site Supporter
    Every time I've heard about the Army changing rifles or calibers or both since I joined in the 90s, it's turned out to be nothing but noise and money spent on R&D and no real material change in the end.

The 6.8x43 and 6.5 Grendel are specialty cartridges in the civilian world, and whether or not anybody in the .mil is still using them, it's not general issue. M16A2 rifles became M16A4 rifles because rails and scopes, and from the sounds of things, M4 carbine's are issued more. They have new 5.56 ammo. That's great - but again, it's probably only an incremental difference, not a sea change, not something really new.

If I may make a prediction? My grandchildren, should either of my offspring manage to reproduce, will be issued an M16 variant at basic training. And it will probably chamber the 5.56 cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfpatch View Post
    Soldier Systems posted this... http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2016/armament/18260_Schatz.pdf ... on the 4th. It was a presentation by Jim Schatz. Plays in to the "interim" part of the 7.62x51 acquisition.
    LSAT has been working for over a decade on next generation intermediate ammunition. Increasing Small Arms Lethality in Afghanistan - Taking Back the Infantry Half-Kilometer is getting close to 10 years old. Why do we need an 'interim' solution? Why can't we just go to an intermediate cartridge and skip the middle step?

User Tag List