Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Soldier Systems: US Army Considers Adopting an Interim Battle Rifle in 7.62 NATO

Yup, but I noticed my Grandfathers and Father had no problems with the reciprocating bolts on their M1 rifles, M1 carbines, and M14's...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

The reciprocating handle was an original requirement for the SCAR competition, why the change of mind?

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    The reciprocating handle was an original requirement for the SCAR competition, why the change of mind?
    My understanding is that most of the requirements were "top-down" driven.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Yup, but I noticed my Grandfathers and Father had no problems with the reciprocating bolts on their M1 rifles, M1 carbines, and M14's...
    I think the more forward of the reciprocating charging handle of the SCAR that renders it more vulnerable to catching on things. That was the case with my limited experience with the SCAR--the reciprocating charging handle got caught on an odd shaped rest that prevented the bolt from closing.

The charging handle on the AK & M1 family is further back and more out of the way so it is less likely to snag on things, get caught on gear, get caught against something during cycling preventing the bolt from closing, or slam into your support hand.

It is certainly something that can be dealt with or overcome, but annoying non-the-less.
    Last edited by Ed L; 04-26-2017 at 09:06 PM.

I wonder if guys having problems with the charging handle were running it on the left side. While this makes it easier to lock the bolt open it can interfere with grip and snag on kit for right-handed shooters. The reciprocating charging handles on AKs and M1s are on the right side where they're not in the way for righties.

I was issued a Mk-17 and didn't have any problems with the bolt catch. I did however have an issue with the ambi mag release bumping against kit and inadvertently drop a mag. I hate that feature. I still really liked the SCAR and it's too bad it didn't catch on. I imagine the SCAR getting phased out has more to do with procurement and replacement parts than overwhelming shortcomings with the weapon.

That said, I also agree an AR-10 style weapon is the way to go simply because of the upper/lower receiver design. Almost every new battle rifle design touts some kind of quick-change barrel setup. What's quicker than two pins to change an entire upper receiver group line an AR? The downside of swapping barrels is then you have to rezero irons, optic, laser etc. sure, the manufacturers state sub MOA zero shift but who's going to rely on that when it counts? With a complete upper swap everything staysl set up ready to go. It makes even more sense considering an entire AR upper, barrel, and BCG can be had for less than a $1100 SCAR barrel.

To really throw water on this idea...GEN Milley has been saying for the last several months that the Army (and DoD as a whole) needs to be more prepared for combat in "megacities." Which will require smaller/lighter equipment to deal with urban environments and resupply issue.

[QUOTE=alohadoug;595575]To really throw water on this idea...GEN Milley has been saying for the last several months that the Army (and DoD as a whole) needs to be more prepared for combat in "[URL="http://www.military.com/daily

I was reading that article the other day... very different requirements depending on the theater.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Soldier Systems: US Army Considers Adopting an Interim Battle Rifle in 7.62 NATO

I'm very confused here. I distinctly recall General Stanley McChrystal saying that the .223 was incredibly destructive and too powerful for civilians. Now his very own Army is complaining about it not being powerful enough.

The good special forces qualified general can't be wrong can he?
    Last edited by Suvorov; 04-29-2017 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Verbiage

Soldier systems: US Army 7.62 Rifle Update

Two DMRs per squad sounds much more reasonable than general issue.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Last edited by JSGlock34; 05-04-2017 at 09:32 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List