Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Soldier Systems: US Army Considers Adopting an Interim Battle Rifle in 7.62 NATO

Interesting. I guess they still have testing to do before formal contracts. I have the distinct impression there are a lot of .260 Rems in the field.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I'm very confused here. I distinctly recall General Stanley McChrystal saying that the .223 was incredibly destructive and too powerful for civilians. Now his very own Army is complaining about it not being powerful enough.

The good special forces qualified general can't be wrong can he?
    With the understanding that you're being sarcastic here, one will rarely go wrong by assuming that anyone with any number of stars on their collar (including one or more inside chevrons and rockers) is likely a political hack.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    With the understanding that you're being sarcastic here, one will rarely go wrong by assuming that anyone with any number of stars on their collar (including one or more inside chevrons and rockers) is likely a political hack.
    Not my assumption any longer. More and more of them now have a very different experience set than the generals of the '80s and 90s. McChrystal's history would seem to suggest a pretty tin ear for political niceties ie how he got basically fired and before that the inside baseball story of how he infuriated Obama by insisting on the AFG surge numbers he wanted vs telling the boss that some surge-lite of like 5-10K would do it.

And those who've served with him seem pretty rad in their respect bordering on awe. I think he just had the opinion that the modern sporting rifle was not appropriate for civilian ownership, an opinion shared by probably 80 million other Americans.

I think he has some kooky political ideas but hey
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I see the 6.5cm, 260rem being kicked around a bit lately.

One of the reason put to me the other day was our guys can't hit targets because of the rainbow trajectory of the 7.62x51, which is a load of crap.

Anyways, I like the 260 and the 6.5cm. I've messed with the CM quite a bit.
    I used to tell people the 260 would be my pick for the question that's been asked here, these days I'd tell em 6.5saum.
    I'm happy to see the 300nm getting a bit of use although I'm a Hulk guy myself.

I'm a 308 fan, I shoot it more than any other round. I know it real well and I just flat out works for me.
    That being said, in 2017 I think there are better choices.
    Last edited by dbateman; 05-07-2017 at 12:03 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/08...for-its-m4a1s/

And the plot thickens...USASOC to potentially release an RFP for a mid length gas system upper with an MLOK rail and a surefire WARCOMP to enhance their SOPMOD M4A1's (block III?). Seems to be a bit smarter than a certain other plan to potentially issue everyone a 7.62 battle rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshjath View Post
    http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/08...for-its-m4a1s/

And the plot thickens...USASOC to potentially release an RFP for a mid length gas system upper with an MLOK rail and a surefire WARCOMP to enhance their SOPMOD M4A1's (block III?). Seems to be a bit smarter than a certain other plan to potentially issue everyone a 7.62 battle rifle.
    They are looking at the Hodge guns. I think they are a sound evolutionary step, personally.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 05-10-2017 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    They are looking at the Hodge guns. I think they are a sound evolutionary step, personally.
    Hodge Defense has some potential to shake up the status-quo. The New AlLi they are using in their construction could be the next big material in small arms design. The only barrier is price and availability of raw materials. It is superior to 7075-t6 series Al in every other category. Every component on this rifle is selected to be the best available from the FNH CHF machine gun steel barrel to the reinforced forged AlLi receiver set.

Hodge has sold some rifles to the Army for testing so and their partnership with FNH may be an indicator of things to come. They have marketed a slightly modified version of their AU-Mod 2 like as the FNH Tactical II Pro. They are also offered in barrel lengths that will be potentially sought by the solicitation once it is issued rather than the 16in and 12.5 offered initially by HD. With the expertise and weight of FNH in the gov acquisition process they have the potential to do very well. If they somehow managed to work a KAC E3 bolt into the system it would represent the absolute pinnacle of the DI ar15 at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    Hodge Defense has some potential to shake up the status-quo. The New AlLi they are using in their construction could be the next big material in small arms design. The only barrier is price and availability of raw materials. It is superior to 7075-t6 series Al in every other category. Every component on this rifle is selected to be the best available from the FNH CHF machine gun steel barrel to the reinforced forged AlLi receiver set.

Hodge has sold some rifles to the Army for testing so and their partnership with FNH may be an indicator of things to come. They have marketed a slightly modified version of their AU-Mod 2 like as the FNH Tactical II Pro. They are also offered in barrel lengths that will be potentially sought by the solicitation once it is issued rather than the 16in and 12.5 offered initially by HD. With the expertise and weight of FNH in the gov acquisition process they have the potential to do very well. If they somehow managed to work a KAC E3 bolt into the system it would represent the absolute pinnacle of the DI ar15 at the moment.
    Yep, the barrels are next level materials. I have yet to hear of a hodge bolt breaking. I personally love mine because of the gas port and the balance and ergonomics.

Is 7075-t6 aluminum failing now?

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Is 7075-t6 aluminum failing now?
    Not particularly. But I am fairly certain that the steel alloys that 7075-t6 replaced in many applications didn't fail either. Are you saying that we should stop seeking advancements?
    Last edited by call_me_ski; 05-10-2017 at 10:54 AM.

User Tag List