Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Lucky Gunner 38 & 357 ammo video

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    The extra energy is irrelevant if it is the case that, for pistol rounds, only the permanent wound channel (i.e. the tissue directly contacted by the bullet) causes damage.

For rifle rounds, we know that the stretching of tissue is so severe that it causes permanent damage even outside of the physical path of the bullet. Or alternatively, the fragments from fragmenting rifle rounds fragment with enough velocity to damage tissue a few inches outside of the main wound channel.

Proponents of the .357's legendary stopping power would say that loads like the 125gr Rem SJHP in a 4" bbl develop enough velocity to cause miniature rifle-like wounds in addition to the main wound channel. From what I've read, all of the ballistics experts disagree with this belief.

One thing I note from comparing the 4" full house .357 results to the 9mm results is that, while the best loads for both cartridges expanded massively and ended in the 12-18" zone, the .357 loads ended much closer to or beyond the 18" mark while the 9mm loads were much closer to the 12" mark. So that extra energy is going somewhere, but that might not result in a bigger wound if the .357 rounds just penetrate out of the target and keep going.

For the "legendary" loads like the Remington SJHP it is interesting that, despite having a ton of energy, there was much less expansion AND less penetration vs the all-copper .357 loads. I would guess this is because the SJHP is partially fragmenting. If these fragments have velocity near a typical .223 round at close range they would definitely produce more severe wounds compared to a 9mm, but if their velocity is low enough that they don't get much farther than the permanent wound channel the energy is just being wasted.

My apologies to any experts reading this for any bad terminology I just used.
    On some of the rounds, the photos and videos show the fragment paths - sort of neat to watch even if it does not mean much.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I may not be recalling this correctly, but I though the clear ballistics gelatin stuff isn't a good replica of actual ballistics gel? Something about it being too dense? not sure if I remember.
    About 20% LESS dense than 10% "real" gel; it's for entertainment purposes only!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QED View Post
    About 20% LESS dense than 10% "real" gel; it's for entertainment purposes only!
    I disagree. That's the sort of thing that can be addressed in a compensation/adjustment chart.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Pretty sure I've seen Doc saying it can't be compensated. I can believe it, as fluid or polymer dynamics (not sure which type of material ballistic gelatin is more like) are very complex. I'm sure there are variations of at least the following concepts in play: density, stiffness, damping, shear strength, tensile strength, elongation before failure...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I would also like to thank you Chris and Lucky Gunner for the effort and expense to put together this information. The 2" and 4" comparison on 38 spl. and 357 magnum has helped me make some decisions. I recently became interested in renewing my love for revolvers and found this info enlightening.

I recently received an order of 38 Spl. ammo from Lucky Gunner.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

User Tag List