Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullet Jump in 9mm/45cal revolvers

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Me, too. And a lot of 10mm FMJ in 610s. And a lot of .40 FMJ in 646's. Those are all steel guns. (Well, the 646 has a titanium cylinder...)

325PD has a titanium cylinder and an alloy frame and weighs under 22 ounces empty. It's a frickin' kinetic bullet puller.

If you have access to a 296 or 396, note that it specifies a max of 200gr bullets right on the barrel. That's because you'll only get three or four shots of 246gr LRN before the remaining ones jump crimp and tie up the cylinder in those AirLite L-frame .44s.
    I Understand. I didn't know it was talking about the light weight wonders. My 340pd is the worst bullet puller. It was my 329pd, 329ng and 386 that made me like heavy crimps. A practice that continues with my 396ng.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    I Understand. I didn't know it was talking about the light weight wonders. My 340pd is the worst bullet puller. It was my 329pd, 329ng and 386 that made me like heavy crimps. A practice that continues with my 396ng.
    *nod nod*

...and at least factory revolver ammo is crimped!
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

What kind of ammo gets run in the school guns?

I'm no Bill Rogers, but I've seen it with my own two eyes on a 9x19 Model 642 Airweight conversion. (Which is a bad idea anyway for frame erosion reasons.)
    According to Ronnie, 147 grain, no word on brand but best guess is georgia arms.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    According to Ronnie, 147 grain, no word on brand but best guess is georgia arms.
    Huh. The heavy bullets will have more inertia, which would increase the likelihood of crimp jump, but if they barely make PF, then the lesser recoil impulse would moderate that pretty heavily.

Huh. The heavy bullets will have more inertia, which would increase the likelihood of crimp jump, but if they barely make PF, then the lesser recoil impulse would moderate that pretty heavily.
    It's my understanding that the lighter, hotter loads that have a sharper recoil impulse are more prone to jumping the crimp vs the heavier bullets that don't have quite the same snap. Am I wrong in this?
    Julius Caesar

It's my understanding that the lighter, hotter loads that have a sharper recoil impulse are more prone to jumping the crimp vs the heavier bullets that don't have quite the same snap. Am I wrong in this?
    It's a two-part problem: The sharper recoil impulse is part of it and the inertia of the bullet is another.

(At the risk of giving offense, I'll throw this out there for anyone following along who doesn't realize it: "Jump crimp" is somewhat of a misnomer; rather the bullet hangs in space for a tiny fraction of a second longer while the gun and cartridge case recoil back away from it. The bullet doesn't so much jump the crimp as the crimp jumps off the bullet.)

It's a two-part problem: The sharper recoil impulse is part of it and the inertia of the bullet is another.

(At the risk of giving offense, I'll throw this out there for anyone following along who doesn't realize it: "Jump crimp" is somewhat of a misnomer; rather the bullet hangs in space for a tiny fraction of a second longer while the gun and cartridge case recoil back away from it. The bullet doesn't so much jump the crimp as the crimp jumps off the bullet.)
    No offense taken.

I can see the hotter loads being a problem across the board, regardless of bullet weight. I'm pretty sure the loads Rogers is using are fairly mild as it's part of the basic pistol class and these tend to have a gradual recoil impulse. My apologies for doling out bits of info, I'm passing it along as I get it. I also have it on good authority that Bill has gone from carrying a .22 Mag to a LCR 9mm.
    Julius Caesar

The worst, of course, would be hot loads with heavy bullets.

I also have it on good authority that Bill has gone from carrying a .22 Mag to a LCR 9mm.
    I recollect reading that someplace, too.

I know that I didn't have problems with even 230gr duty-type loads in the 325PD, as those tend to be not only better crimped, but also usually have sealant applied to the case mouth as well.

I believe George is the one who relayed Bill's BUG info.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List