Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Quick acquisition of the slide mounted red dot on a pistol

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Are there any peer-reviewed studies about using the red dot compared to iron/fiber sights across a cross-section of shooters? For instance, I would like to see: Under 30yo, 30-55yo, 55-80yo, male and female, those with corrective vision, those who are farsighted, Master-level iron-sight shooters, average level IDPA/USPSA shooters, and novice shooters. I would love to see if there is more of an advantage for certain categories of pistol shooters.
    Anything out there?
    Cody
    I know of one but is obsolete given the fact rmr guns were very rare at that point very unreliable which was one of the issues. The study, I believe, was done by a sof or sf test group when the rmr first came out, so 2008-2009 time frame
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Karl Rehn of KR Training has peer-reviewed literature on the use of irons, dots and lasers. I think his research is on-going, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my circle, "Peer-Reviewed" has a very specific meaning, that few typical firearms studies meet.

Having said that, we conducted quite a few assessments and tests with pistol slide-mounted RDS in the 2010-2015 time-frame. Officers with middle-age presbyopia (typically over 40-45 y/o), those of any age with vision issues, and all individuals when shooting at longer ranges (beyond 15-25 yds) did better with RDS equipped handguns.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    In my circle, "Peer-Reviewed" has a very specific meaning, that few typical firearms studies meet.

Having said that, we conducted quite a few assessments and tests with pistol slide-mounted RDS in the 2010-2015 time-frame. Officers with middle-age presbyopia (typically over 40-45 y/o), those of any age with vision issues, and all individuals when shooting at longer ranges (beyond 15-25 yds) did better with RDS equipped handguns.
    Do you have any data on users with astigmatism shooting with the RMR?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Precisely, Doc. (You and I run in the same nerd circles). The study that Karl has on-going is through either the ophthalmology department at a Texas state school, or through the optics/physics department at a Texas state school, or both. It's been a couple years since I've seen it. I will email him and ask for the current location, but I recall seeing it on PubMed.

ETA: study is a collaborative between K&R Training and the Sports Performance Department of Texas A&M.

User Tag List