Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick acquisition of the slide mounted red dot on a pistol

Quick acquisition of the slide mounted red dot on a pistol

I have meaning to start this thread for a month or two, but was prompted by my experience earlier today with shooting a new Walther Q5 and a DP Pro red dot.

Some people think a red dot is necessarily slower to shot one. I don't think so.

Some people think you must use reserve iron sights to efficiently acquire the dot. I don't think so.

This is the method I use. I draw to the frame of the red dot, as opposed to drawing to the red dot. By "framing" the target, the red dot is inevitably there for me, whereas drawing to where I think the dot is, can lead to fishing. Initially, I do not even turn the dot on -- I just do presentations with the dot off, using the frame of the red dot.

Try it, and let me know what you think.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I told myself I was going to make an honest effort this year with a red dot. I have the DP already and the slide, barrel and parts ordered. To say that I struggle with quick acquisition with a red dot is an understatement. Your idea sounds more than reasonable and I will give it a shot. I will update when I get in the parts and have some time working it out.

I'm going to have try & then work on it. Thanks George.

The last one I used (G19) for quite a few reps was a custom cut/mounted RMR and it was pretty low. So low one could get by using the normal (aftermarket) sights as BUIS. Work by a young local gunsmith with a good and growing reputation.

I have very little time on these and just the normal draw to index and it was there. I was terrifically impressed although I can't compare it to a higher MOS mount.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    ...This is the method I use. I draw to the frame of the red dot, as opposed to drawing to the red dot. By "framing" the target, the red dot is inevitably there for me, whereas drawing to where I think the dot is, can lead to fishing. Initially, I do not even turn the dot on -- I just do presentations with the dot off, using the frame of the red dot.

Try it, and let me know what you think.
    I can't believe all this practice and this never occurred to me! I am going to a 4 day class tomorrow and I will be trying to incorporate it. Taking both my Leopold DP Pro and my Vortex Viper.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    I can't believe all this practice and this never occurred to me! I am going to a 4 day class tomorrow and I will be trying to incorporate it. Taking both my Leopold DP Pro and my Vortex Viper.
    If possible, please spend some time today, first dry firing with the dot off, and then dot on, using the framing method. That might us both look smarter tomorrow at the class.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If possible, please spend some time today, first dry firing with the dot off, and then dot on, using the framing method. That might us both look smarter tomorrow at the class.
    Already planned.

Site Supporter
    I have been using the front sight as a reference to find the dot (despite what people think about Suarez, he has a multi day lession plan for red dot optic pistols that I really want to try out, and he is relatively nearby).

I will also be giving the the GJM Frame and Find technique a try. I will say that just using the window for fast, close COM shots seems to work, as well as using both the dip in the RMR frame, and the corner points as quick indexes for close in work. I'll play with it and see.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I have been using the front sight as a reference to find the dot (despite what people think about Suarez, he has a multi day lession plan for red dot optic pistols that I really want to try out, and he is relatively nearby).

I will also be giving the the GJM Frame and Find technique a try. I will say that just using the window for fast, close COM shots seems to work, as well as using both the dip in the RMR frame, and the corner points as quick indexes for close in work. I'll play with it and see.

pat
    Just don't take his class "How to kill within the law."

It's got "Intent" stamped on it with five inch tall bright red letters.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Draw hard to the sights...the dot is there.

User Tag List