Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best drill for improving draw/first shot time?

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    BTW - what distance are you placing the 3x5 card - 7 yards?
    25' or a little over 8 yards.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    One small detail that really worked for me was getting on the gun as soon as the shirt was clearing my gun.

I'm wasting less time getting that grip because I'm still moving the shirt out of the way with my left hand.
    Appendix?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Appendix?
    Yep.

That's one of the things I love about appendix. The weak hand has a purpose and it works well.
    #RESIST

25' or a little over 8 yards.
    Thanks

John,

Like beltjones said, One really good way to eliminate un-needed motion is to do Dry Fire practice in front of a mirror. You only want to move what you HAVE to move during your draw.
    Once you have that down make sure that you RELAX before you start your draw, if your muscles are tense you will be slower, as the muscles have to over come the resistance of the tension. So relax, move only what you have to and on the buzzer you'll be faster than you were.
    Last edited by Prdator; 03-04-2011 at 08:42 PM.

The weak hand has a purpose
    Dude...

John: I have the same problem, and I've worked on it repeatedly since my spring 2010 AFHF class. I've worked on pressouts, live and dry, I do draws in front of a mirror (Todd noted a considerable wasted movement I had at that class), I try to concentrate on reacting to the very first part of timer's beep, etc. - and so far, it has not helped much. I can't beat two seconds on 3x5 at 25 feet, regardless of holster position, and I am more often closer to 2.5 than 2.0. I have no clue how guys above do this around 1.4-1.8 seconds, even though I know the theory behind it.

I don't know if I can ever get there, but, based on the efforts I've put so far, I think that my only hope is massive amount of practice with live fire. I noticed a phenomenon that's similar to dry-fire with snap caps: when you know you have a dummy, your trigger press is perfect. When I dry practice my first shot, I generally have a very smooth presentation and trigger breaks exactly at the end of extension. Unfortunately, I can't get my timer react to dry fire, but it feels fast. Then everything breaks down when I go live; almost like a variant of anticipation.

YVK, if it helps, I also have no idea how Todd does it in under a second
    #RESIST

I can barely get a shot on 3x5 at 25 from high ready under one second....

To be honest, I have limited aspirations here. I've truly spent enough time on it to start feeling that this could be unattainable for me. If one looks on Todd's P30 and HK 45 reports, the first shots at 1.4-1.5 range have been associated with sub-5 seconds F.A.S.T., and I know I am not going to shoot that fast ever. All I care is to consistently break 2 seconds par.
    BTW, speaking of par, I've tried to use this feature on my timer to know where I am at in my draw when 2 seconds are up - and it doesn't help - just tells me I am almost there all while distracting my attention. I wonder if any of you used it with shorter pars, say, 1 second, to gauge your speed, i.e. how much time one expects to spend on pulling gun up to the point of initial sight acquisition vs. time spent on pressout.

User Tag List