Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FAST Drill with a revolver?

FAST Drill with a revolver?

Anybody done it? I'm thinking J-frame...not some ESR race gun that isn't a carry piece. I feel an experiment in the works!

Site Supporter
    I thought someone was going to run it with a new Chiappa revolver?

I'll give it a go with a J-frame and my K-frame SSR (m64) and see how it works. I'm thinking of doing it with both SLOW strips and with speedloaders (in different runs). I'll probably video it too.

Taurus Judge with buckshot.

We are diminished
    I think joshs did it in a class once but I cannot remember the result. And I'm sure caleb has done it a number of times.

SLG and I put together a little rough draft of a shooting game once and it used the FAST as the classifier. You would shoot it three times in a row and your aggregate score determined your classification. For "Master" class you had to be under 15.00 seconds with a semiauto, or 18.00 seconds with a revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I think joshs did it in a class once but I cannot remember the result. And I'm sure caleb has done it a number of times.

SLG and I put together a little rough draft of a shooting game once and it used the FAST as the classifier. You would shoot it three times in a row and your aggregate score determined your classification. For "Master" class you had to be under 15.00 seconds with a semiauto, or 18.00 seconds with a revolver.
    What, no 12 second GM class?
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Someone contact Jerry Miculek. I’m sure he can show us how it’s done.
    "Take the message to Garcia."

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Taurus Judge with buckshot.
    Using the Winchester PDX you would only need 1 headshot.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I ran FAST repeatedly using a 686SSR out of a OWB holster with Comp-III speedloaders. On a good day, I could get into the mid 5 second range using this set-up from concealment, however average times were around 6+ seconds. The issue that you run into with a revolver is that your reload takes FOREVER. I was talking to one of the better SSR shooters in the country, and we worked out that a blazing fast SSR reload is around 2.5 seconds. That's a perfect reload, which you're not going to get every time. More likely you'll be around 3 or 4 seconds, which means any hope of a coin is lost and just getting a pin is going to be very hard work.

That being said, it's actually a really good revolver drill. Since reloading is key to winning in IDPA or USPSA with a revo, the FAST is an excellent gauge of your ability to perform IDPA critical skills on the clock.

Pin? what's this Pin you speak of? Is this what Todd was going to mail me???
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List