Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Explain Dry Firing To Me Please?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I disagree with you if the main focus is practical pistol shooting.

Attempting to keep a front sight absolutely still during a dry trigger manipulation will lead to all kinds of compromise in order to achieve that goal.

Should that be the goal, or should something else be the goal?
    My goal is to not have to post threads asking you to tell me why I'm shooting low and right.

Attempting to keep a front sight absolutely still during a dry trigger manipulation will lead to all kinds of compromise in order to achieve that goal.

Not the 'goal' per se, but rather indicative of a defect in trigger manipulation. The goal would be consistent presentation/grip and trigger manipulation. Perhaps the ambiguity of describing sight picture with words comes into play here. What compromises do you see coming into play?

I'm going to write a separate piece on this regarding the old "spent case on the front sight" trick.

If your goal is for your front sight to remain perfectly still during the dry trigger manipulation:

• What is your grip like? Is it strong?

• What is your trigger manipulation like? Is it decisive?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    What happened when you did this:
    All my shots are still to the left but not low any more. I think I said Low and Right somewhere but that was a typo. If I'm facing the target and the X is the center of the Clock I was hitting between 7 and 9 now I'm hitting between 8 and 10.

Banned
    I'm going to write a separate piece on this regarding the old "spent case on the front sight" trick.

If your goal is for your front sight to remain perfectly still during the dry trigger manipulation:

• What is your grip like? Is it strong?

• What is your trigger manipulation like? Is it decisive?
    My goal isn't for the front sight to remain perfectly still because you said that was a bad idea

I think my grip is strong and my trigger manipulation is decisive. I'm not trying to do the surprise break.

My main thing is this forum seems to be in unanimous agreement that dry fire is good but I don't want to practice WRONG and develop bad habits.
    Last edited by Cypher; 04-04-2017 at 05:26 PM.

Explain Dry Firing To Me Please?

The above was directed at critter.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 04-04-2017 at 05:22 PM.

I'm doing it wrong then. I thought that was the goal while simultaneously pressing the trigger as briskly and as cleanly as possible.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

The above was directed at critter.
    The only verbals descriptions I can give are as follows: I can tell you is that I first 'trained' to shoot back in the 70's and still use pretty much that same method today. My grip is created mostly by isometric pressure from rotating my right shoulder, pressing the gun between my right palm and solidly cupped left fingers with the slide aligned with the right forearm, thumbs relaxed toward the target. I guess it's a strong grip. The weapon is definitely rock steady and doesn't move around. When I 'dry fire' practice, the sights may move slightly from natural sway but the front sight doesn't 'jump' (in relation to the rear) in any direction as I squeeze the trigger and hear the 'click'. If it does, I understand immediately that something is off. Same thing using a dummy round or two in the mag during live fire.

In my case, low left shots are almost invariably indicative of my anticipating the recoil movement and unconsciously 'correcting' by pushing the gun slightly down as I pull the trigger, pushing the shot in that direction. A dummy shot dry fire exposes this every time. I don't know Jay, I haven't been on a gun forum in quite a number of years, so perhaps my methodology and techniques are outdated.

+1 for laserlyte.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List