Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Explain Dry Firing To Me Please?

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    He has a par time of 1.2 to draw, get a good sight picture on a blank wall, and make a good trigger press. The par time for drawing and getting a sight picture on a target but not pressing the trigger is .07. I might understand it after running them, but the additional half second for adding a trigger press seems odd to me.

.07 for a strong side concealment draw. I'm going to need some extra caffeine for that one.
    The reason to separate the raw draw time goal from the time goal associated with the trigger press is to keep people from doing bad sights and trigger trying to beat the beep when pushing on their draw hard. Draw fast, then shoot carefully enough for the target.

.07 seconds is faster than I think I would chase. Try .7 instead.

In all seriousness, for strong side from concealment, I'd probably spend a little time trying .7, but realistically, 1 second may be a really stiff goal. Push it as hard as you can though and see where it leads you. Don't saddle yourself with the yoke of low expectations. See what you can do.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    The reason to separate the raw draw time goal from the time goal associated with the trigger press is to keep people from doing bad sights and trigger trying to beat the beep when pushing on their draw hard. Draw fast, then shoot carefully enough for the target.

.07 seconds is faster than I think I would chase. Try .7 instead.

In all seriousness, for strong side from concealment, I'd probably spend a little time trying .7, but realistically, 1 second may be a really stiff goal. Push it as hard as you can though and see where it leads you. Don't saddle yourself with the yoke of low expectations. See what you can do.
    That makes a lot of sense.

.07 is a wee bit different than .7 lol. I think I'll stick with .7.

I can get shots on a USPSA target under 1 second but where they hit is a crapshoot at that point. My fastest cold A zone hit at seven yards is .97, but it could have just as easily been a C or D. My fastest A hit warm is .90. I've had some C's and D's down to .86. I'm hoping that improving my dry practice regimen can get my ability to make good hits catch up to my hand speed.

I can barely make .7

.07 is gonna be a mofo but at least you'll make uber-GM and possibly break the sound barrier

For the record, his times are for a respectable GM level shooter, but they can be pushed lower by those sufficiently skilled. They're hard ass times because they're no-compromise ones meant to push you and force you to dedicate the time to making them. When you do it's a great feeling.
    Last edited by Peally; 04-07-2017 at 05:59 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    What happened when you did this:

I know the other thread was mostly about live fire, but everything Jay suggested can be applied to dry fire as well.

OK so I've altered my grip as Jay suggested. My point of aim was the black spot on the yellow sticky pad at 7yards (give or take a foot) with my Glock 19.

I am consistently hitting the same location. I just seem to be an inch or three to the left.

Last edited by Cypher; 04-13-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Added bottom two photos/ no edits to text

User Tag List