Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an alternative to Sure Fire

Question Looking for an alternative to Sure Fire

All my serious lights have been from Sure Fire. Beginning from a 6P in '91, I went through several of their products until I settled on the size and switch that I thought worked best for me. My L1 Lumamax is ten years old, still works well but am looking for something of similar diameter with a bit more output.

I noticed that Sure Fire no longer makes anything with the 2-stage tactical switch that I prefer. I'm looking for something similar from a different maker.

Any recommendations? I've read about the Streamlight 1L-AA. Specs look good but I've never owned a Streamlight product before.

Thanks P-F!

Streamlight is good to go.

I've gone through several and have one off duty and one on duty. They are, in my opinion, better valued product than anything surefire puts out
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Streamlight gets my vote. I love my ProTac 1L-1AA and have had a few other ProTac models as well. Great size, illumination, and build.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I concur with Vodoo, I have two streamlight protac 1l, great lights, good output, great price.
    see link below.
    http://www.streamlight.com/en/produc...ndex/protac-1l

I started out with the original Laser Products 6P back in the late 80's. Still carry it on my duty belt, but upgraded to the LED lamp assembly. Puts out about 80 lumens I think.

+1 on Streamlight, though.

Carry a Protac 1L off duty 24/7 for a few years now. 110 lumens on high, full power strobe and 12 lumen low setting. 3.5" in length. Disappears in a side pocket. There's a new one they call "dual fuel" that takes either 1 CR123 lithium or a AA battery, with varying outputs depending on the power source. 350 lumens for 1.5 hours on a single 123 battery. 4.25" in length, presumably to accomodate the AA battery. The upgraded one is $35-$45 online.

On duty, my first backup light is a Protac 2L with 350 lumens on high, also has the strobe and low level functions. There's an uprgraded 500 lumen version out there as well.

The old 6P is the tertiary light.

Both Streamlights have very good pocket clips.

Excellent price point for the performance. Found mine to be very durable.

Quote Originally Posted by csheehy View Post
    There's a new one they call "dual fuel" that takes either 1 CR123 lithium or a AA battery, with varying outputs depending on the power source. 350 lumens for 1.5 hours on a single 123 battery. 4.25" in length, presumably to accomodate the AA battery. The upgraded one is $35-$45 online.
    That's the one I'm looking at. Being able to use CR123, lithium AA or alkaline AA in the same light is a huge advantage for me. AA's are available in any 7-11. 123s I have to order online. 😬

Btw my suggestion for "best bang for buck" is the protac USB for off duty carry and the stinger hl DS led for duty.

Both of which I'll be doing review of eventually.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Lately I have been using Klarus and Terralux lights, specifically the Klarus XT2C, XT1C, and Terralux TT1-EX. All of these lights come on in high mode, and then have a mode switch to access medium and low. Strobe is immediately accessible by hitting the mode switch. Both switches are on the tailcap.

The XT2C is perfect for belt carry in a Custom Carry Concepts 1" dia. flashlight pouch.

The TT1-EX and XT1C are better for pocket carry. The TT1-EX has better switching, because momentary is an option (the current XT1C does not offer momentary on, so momentary use requires quickly working the clicky switch). However, the TT1-EX is limited to CR123 while the XT1C can use 16340.

I hope I don't come off too much like a snob but I hate buying tactical gear from China. Elzetta and Malkoff both make kick-ass lights. No need to look much past those guys and you're supporting US manufacturing.

HDS makes fantastic lights.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

User Tag List