Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Strong hand thumb....what do?

Spinmove, where are your sights after you break the shot, both live and dry fire?

Do you perceive any movement in where the front sight is as you are pressing back the trigger?

The reason for my questions is that I wonder if your trigger pull might be uneven (as in it moves where the gun is pointing as you break the shot). Maybe you're snatching the trigger when you think your sights are dead on? A good way to check for that, I believe, is in checking the follow through phase and that may tell you things.

As to thumbs, a high flagged thumb (with some tension, not just floating there) is good for enabling the shooter to move the gun as little as possible when pressing the trigger, but it isn't great for recoil control. A locked down thumb is good for recoil control but makes it harder to get a clean trigger press. That's for one handed shooting of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Spinmove, where are your sights after you break the shot, both live and dry fire?

Do you perceive any movement in where the front sight is as you are pressing back the trigger?

The reason for my questions is that I wonder if your trigger pull might be uneven (as in it moves where the gun is pointing as you break the shot). Maybe you're snatching the trigger when you think your sights are dead on? A good way to check for that, I believe, is in checking the follow through phase and that may tell you things.

As to thumbs, a high flagged thumb (with some tension, not just floating there) is good for enabling the shooter to move the gun as little as possible when pressing the trigger, but it isn't great for recoil control. A locked down thumb is good for recoil control but makes it harder to get a clean trigger press. That's for one handed shooting of course.
    Sights return right on or pretty close to POA in live fire. Sights don't move from POA in dry fire. Verified by aiming at the letter A on a USPSA scaled target or the numbers on a Dot Torture test target pasted to my wall.

I'll double check my follow through tonight during dry fire to see if I find anything there.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    And that's why I said "appear to be" and not "definitely doesn't move". Obviously there's something wrong, hence why I'm trying to narrow it down. What do you think might be the most logical culprit in this scenario?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Sitting here at my keyboard...1) based on the fact you're shooting cross dominant, that might be the cause or 2) You are pushing the gun left with your firing hand grip fingers as you tighten up in anticipation of the recoil.

Try some ball and dummy exercises and you might be able to ID what's happening yourself. Best advice is to get another set of experienced eyes on your technique. Self diagnosis is tuff as our perceptions are not always reality.

User Tag List