Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strong hand thumb....what do?

Strong hand thumb....what do?

Ok, so something that I've been having an issue with SHO/WHO shooting consistency as well as shooting JUST left of POA freestyle. Part of this, I think, boils down to not being certain of what I should be doing with my shooting hand thumb.

What am I supposed to do with it when shooting freestyle? Should there be any tension in it? Should I be applying pressure with it against the frame? Should it be completely dead and easily moved while the rest of my hand is a tightly clenched fist? Should it have the same rigidity as the rest of my hand and be neutral? Should it be touching the frame at all?

What am I supposed to do with it when shooting one handed? I see some advocate having it touching other fingers or pushing into the frame or some even say it needs to be flagged. If it's flagged, is it completely vertical and applying pressure to the frame in that way or should it be flagged away from the frame?

This may seem like a silly question, but the more I think about it the more I seem to be confused on what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Ok, so something that I've been having an issue with SHO/WHO shooting consistency as well as shooting JUST left of POA freestyle. Part of this, I think, boils down to not being certain of what I should be doing with my shooting hand thumb.

What am I supposed to do with it when shooting freestyle? Should there be any tension in it? Should I be applying pressure with it against the frame? Should it be completely dead and easily moved while the rest of my hand is a tightly clenched fist? Should it have the same rigidity as the rest of my hand and be neutral? Should it be touching the frame at all?

What am I supposed to do with it when shooting one handed? I see some advocate having it touching other fingers or pushing into the frame or some even say it needs to be flagged. If it's flagged, is it completely vertical and applying pressure to the frame in that way or should it be flagged away from the frame?

This may seem like a silly question, but the more I think about it the more I seem to be confused on what to do with it.
    A few questions:

- What type shooting are you focusing on...competition, or combat?
    - Have you experimented with the different techniques you mentioned? If so, what were the results?

Now my take. I assume that in combat /defensive situation, I will grip the gun tight with all fingers and thumb so the idea of maintaining "lazy" thumbs doesn't seem realistic to me. One option you might consider is moving the shooting hand thumb away from the gun and over the top / outside of the support hand thumb joint. Here you may be able to apply strong pressure without affecting the gun itself.

For one-hand only shooting, I lock my thumb down tight.

Ultimately, I think you will have to try different ways to see which is most effective for you.
    Last edited by Redhat; 04-04-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    A few questions:

- What type shooting are you focusing on...competition, or combat?
    - Have you experimented with the different techniques you mentioned? If so, what were the results?

Now my take. I assume that in combat /defensive situation, I will grip the gun tight with all fingers and thumb so the idea of maintaining "lazy" thumbs doesn't seem realistic to me. One option you might consider is moving the shooting hand thumb away from the gun and over the top / outside of the support hand thumb joint. Here you may be able to apply strong pressure without affecting the gun itself.

For one-hand only shooting, I lock my thumb down tight.

Ultimately, I think you will have to try different ways to see which is most effective for you.
    Functionally I don't see a ton of difference between competitive shooting and defense shooting (not a huge fan of the term "combat shooting". I'm a civilian, not an infantry door kicker in Afghanistan). But, generally, more defensive oriented shooting.

Have I experimented with the above techniques? Yes, but loosely. I've been on the "dead thumb technique" for a little while (don't know for how long exactly) and it got me thinking as I've literally experimented with almost every other aspect of grip except this and maybe something else that I've not thought of yet.

After having given this further thought I'm thinking that I'm probably overthinking this and need to stop overthinking and overly concentrating on what my strong hand thumb does in freestyle. One handed shooting on the other hand, I probably just need to pick something and test it out for a while. I did try flagging my thumb, but that didn't seem to work out all that well for me. Seemed awkward and managing recoil that way felt weird.

I don't want to offend sensibilities regarding "combat" vs "defensive" shooting so call it what ever you want, just trying to distinguish between that type vs say bullseye or target shooting. From what you've posted so far, I've seen nothing about what problems you're having or what improvements you'd like to see.

I don't want to offend sensibilities regarding "combat" vs "defensive" shooting so call it what ever you want, just trying to distinguish between that type vs say bullseye or target shooting. From what you've posted so far, I've seen nothing about what problems you're having or what improvements you'd like to see.
    Ok, so here's some hard numbers and more concrete perspective. I'm consistently grouping 1" to the left of POA at 15ft. (or 7yds, whatever), that means I'll be 2" left at 30ft., 3" left at 45ft., 4" left at 60ft., and 5" left at 75ft. So at 25 yds, not only are my groups going to be opening up from that 1" ragged hole but my shots will also be grossly left of where I want that grouping to be. I could be slow and precise or shooting at a more rapid pace doing Mozambique Drills and I see the same results. Basically, it doesn't matter if I'm target shooting or action shooting. I'm having a consistent problem.

So the problem would be that me as a shooter is off by a consistently measured metric which needs to be corrected. I'm trying to correct whatever is causing that offset in POA. The improvement that I would like to see is actually shooting POI of where my POA happens to be.

For one handed shooting (I had to check to see what I'm actually doing), I do apply lateral pressure with the large joint of the thumb, fingers pressing the grip straight back into the "V". The primary tension is still in the forearm.

Two handed shooting, thumbs are relaxed and forward toward the target. I don't "grip" tightly with the fingers or thumbs, but rather rotate my right should creating isometric pressure between my right palm and "cupped" left hand fingers. Most of the tension of the grip is in larger muscles. This is the way I was taught to shoot, er, way back in the 70's. It works well for me.

disclaimer: not a qualified instructor, nor expert in the field, nor is what I do necessarily "correct". Just a long(er than I'd care to admit) time avid shooter.

Ok, so here's some hard numbers and more concrete perspective. I'm consistently grouping 1" to the left of POA at 15ft. (or 7yds, whatever), that means I'll be 2" left at 30ft., 3" left at 45ft., 4" left at 60ft., and 5" left at 75ft. So at 25 yds, not only are my groups going to be opening up from that 1" ragged hole but my shots will also be grossly left of where I want that grouping to be. I could be slow and precise or shooting at a more rapid pace doing Mozambique Drills and I see the same results. Basically, it doesn't matter if I'm target shooting or action shooting. I'm having a consistent problem.

So the problem would be that me as a shooter is off by a consistently measured metric which needs to be corrected. I'm trying to correct whatever is causing that offset in POA. The improvement that I would like to see is actually shooting POI of where my POA happens to be.
    Where are the sights when the shot breaks?
    Have you adjusted the sights?
    What size / type target are you using?
    How much / little finger is in the trigger?
    Have you had someone who knows what to look for watch you shoot?
    Last edited by Redhat; 04-04-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Ok, so here's some hard numbers and more concrete perspective. I'm consistently grouping 1" to the left of POA at 15ft. ..
    if it is that consistent, the first thing I'd do is put the pistol in a shooting vise and check sight alignment with 4-5 shot groups using a variety of ammo. Generally, a fault doesn't generate that level of consistency. If a vise isn't available, use a good rest. You can also use a laser cartridge to check if it's left of the aim point.

Where are the sights when the shot breaks?
    Have you adjusted the sights?
    What size / type target are you using?
    How much / little finger is in the trigger?
    Have you had someone who knows what to look for watch you shoot?
    To my vision? Equal height, equal light.

No as I seem to have this consistency with almost every pistol I've picked up lately.

Any target size and type ranging from a full sized B8 to a plain 3x5 card.

Doesn't matter how much finger I use. Shots go to the same hole roughly.

That's the one thing I haven't been able to do yet.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

To my vision? Equal height, equal light.
    No, where are the sights in relation to the target (sight picture) and sight alignment

No as I seem to have this consistency with almost every pistol I've picked up lately.
    Are you shooting with both eyes open or one closed...try each and see what happens. Are you tilting the gun left?

Any target size and type ranging from a full sized B8 to a plain 3x5 card.
    Try shooting at 25m and see how your grouping looks.

Doesn't matter how much finger I use. Shots go to the same hole roughly.

That's the one thing I haven't been able to do yet.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

User Tag List